Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 195 of 319

Thread: Official 2010 Reds Signed Draft Picks Thread

  1. #181
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    8,811

    Re: Official 2010 Reds Signed Draft Picks Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    Can officially stop looking for updates on the Auburn pitcher, Brad Hendrix. He's not going to sign.

    http://auburntigers.cstv.com/sports/...072010aac.html
    I wonder why this kid DIDN'T sign...his numbers aren't stellar.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #182
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    8,811

    Re: Official 2010 Reds Signed Draft Picks Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    From what I understand Waldrop is all but signed. The commissioners office is holding it up much like the Barnhart signing last year due to being so far over slot.
    Do you have a link to verify that?

  4. #183
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,493

    Re: Official 2010 Reds Signed Draft Picks Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I wonder why this kid DIDN'T sign...his numbers aren't stellar.

    Doesn't look to me like he's got anything to lose by going back. As an SEC pitcher, he'll get taken at least as high next year if he does anything at all and if he improves his numbers, he'll get taken higher. Not much reason for him to sign now.

  5. #184
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    34,860

    Re: Official 2010 Reds Signed Draft Picks Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Doesn't look to me like he's got anything to lose by going back. As an SEC pitcher, he'll get taken at least as high next year if he does anything at all and if he improves his numbers, he'll get taken higher. Not much reason for him to sign now.
    Of course as a senior, he will get lowballed no matter where he gets drafted and he has next to no bargaining power if he actually wants to continue to play baseball.

  6. #185
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,493

    Re: Official 2010 Reds Signed Draft Picks Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Of course as a senior, he will get lowballed no matter where he gets drafted and he has next to no bargaining power if he actually wants to continue to play baseball.

    Agree, but at 30 it's not like he's going to get a ton of money this time around anyway. He's kind of in a tough in-between spot, but it's about what his numbers suggest is right for him. Maybe he's thinking he can bump himself up all the way into the first ten rounds. Hard to know.

  7. #186
    Vavasor TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    13,251

    Re: Official 2010 Reds Signed Draft Picks Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Of course as a senior, he will get lowballed no matter where he gets drafted and he has next to no bargaining power if he actually wants to continue to play baseball.
    He'll also graduate. That's not a bad thing to fall back on.
    Suck it up cupcake.

  8. #187
    Resident PED Expert nemesis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Centerville, Ohio
    Posts
    1,417

    Re: Official 2010 Reds Signed Draft Picks Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Do you have a link to verify that?
    No sir. Just someone in the know gave me the low down. The Reds have put Grandel on hold until August 1st as well. Things should get serious in that first week.
    If you can't be a good example... then you'll just have to be a horrible warning...

    Nothing tastes as good as being fit feels...

  9. #188
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,475

    Re: Official 2010 Reds Signed Draft Picks Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Of course as a senior, he will get lowballed no matter where he gets drafted and he has next to no bargaining power if he actually wants to continue to play baseball.
    If he's able to work himself into the top 10 rounds, he'll have much more leverage than he's got as a round-30 pick.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  10. #189
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    34,860

    Re: Official 2010 Reds Signed Draft Picks Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    If he's able to work himself into the top 10 rounds, he'll have much more leverage than he's got as a round-30 pick.
    Sure, but even as a 5th-10th rounder, he isn't likely to get more than $25,000. That is what Mark Serrano got last year as a 6th rounder with dominant numbers and quality stuff.

    I don't know what he was offered as a 30th rounder, but even if he turns it around, his offer isn't going to be much.

  11. #190
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,475

    Re: Official 2010 Reds Signed Draft Picks Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Sure, but even as a 5th-10th rounder, he isn't likely to get more than $25,000. That is what Mark Serrano got last year as a 6th rounder with dominant numbers and quality stuff.

    I don't know what he was offered as a 30th rounder, but even if he turns it around, his offer isn't going to be much.
    I would disagree with that. For a sixth round pick, for instance, the average pick gets well over $100K signing bonus. In fact, the average in 2007 was near $130,000. Getting $25K is a very, very low exception to the rule. If we're talking 10th round, $20 or $25K is probably about right.

    I do agree, because of his role and situation, he'll likely get below average. But even so, the odds say as a top-10 pick he'll still get more than $25,000.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  12. #191
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    34,860

    Re: Official 2010 Reds Signed Draft Picks Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    I would disagree with that. For a sixth round pick, for instance, the average pick gets well over $100K signing bonus. In fact, the average in 2007 was near $130,000. Getting $25K is a very, very low exception to the rule. If we're talking 10th round, $20 or $25K is probably about right.

    I do agree, because of his role and situation, he'll likely get below average. But even so, the odds say as a top-10 pick he'll still get more than $25,000.
    Not as a senior he won't. You are using average money for non seniors. Guys who have leverage. Seniors get next to no leverage at all. Its either take the money or go on with your life of not playing baseball.

  13. #192
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,475

    Re: Official 2010 Reds Signed Draft Picks Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Not as a senior he won't. You are using average money for non seniors. Guys who have leverage. Seniors get next to no leverage at all. Its either take the money or go on with your life of not playing baseball.
    Not really. They can just go on to sign with any organization if they don't sign. If they're talented enough to be a pick in the top 10 rounds, they're going to be likely picked up by someone. It's not a do-or-die situation.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  14. #193
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    34,860

    Re: Official 2010 Reds Signed Draft Picks Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Not really. They can just go on to sign with any organization if they don't sign. If they're talented enough to be a pick in the top 10 rounds, they're going to be likely picked up by someone. It's not a do-or-die situation.
    Sure, after the next years draft. If they don't get drafted again.

  15. #194
    Member OesterPoster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    West-central Ohio
    Posts
    2,042

    Re: Official 2010 Reds Signed Draft Picks Thread

    Brandon Dailey had a good 1st game at the World Junior Championships for Team Canada:

    http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Columnists.../14816846.html

    Good start

    Mississauga’s Dalton Pompey went 3-for-3 including a double and a home run as Team Canada opened the world junior championship with a 9-2 win over The Netherlands at Port Arthur Stadium in Thunder Bay, on Friday.

    Brantford shortstop Brandon Dailey, a draft choice of the Cincinnati Reds, hit a three-run homer and singled in a run in the fourth.

    Montreal’s Jesen Dygestile-Therrien pitched six innings for the win.

  16. #195
    Member medford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    2,081

    Re: Official 2010 Reds Signed Draft Picks Thread

    so how much does the typical 10th round college senior get? What about 20th round or 30th round, vs how much they're offering now? Is he on a full ride at Auburn (I assume so, but it could be partial), how much is that worth? How much is getting his degree (if he's on pace) worth? Compare all that to what they're offering, and its an easy decision on the finacial side. On the flip side, its 1 more season in college, vs pitching in Billings or Arizona next summer, having to pay for rent and food vs the college dorm and training table (which are rather nice at most major colleges), the senior experience, etc... that's all worth something, varying by person, but if the Reds aren't going to offer much over slot, and he can make close to the same amount next year, knowing that as a 30th rounder his professional career is likely to be very short, that college degree is worth a ton. It will be a lot harder to go back to college to finish out his degree 4-5 years down the road, verse staying in school and finishing his degree right now, while living amongst his peers and friends.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25