Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2010 Reds Signed Draft Picks Thread

Re: Official 2010 Reds Signed Draft Picks Thread

I am glad to see the Renken signing, as the BA description was interesting. His delivery was described as funky in that he hides the ball and seems to jump at the hitter. Also, described as not overpowering, but having good secondary pitches including a good change with sudden drop. With three solid years of starting experience with a good program, he seems like someone who could move through the system rapidly.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Just looking around for more info on the final draftees and I came across this bulletin board discussion about University of Louisville baseball and there is talking there that Joel Bender will be signing with the Reds. I'm not sure what the UL connection was (was he recruited by them). Some mention that he intended to go the JUCO route, but then he got drafted. I'm guessing we're working on overslot money (which is probably true on many of the remaining draftees).

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=17&f=2762&t=6188957
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Resident PED Expert

Just a FYI. The same guy who gave me the low down on Waldrop gave me a little info on the Grandal/Cisco situation.

It seems that Cisco camp is wanting a 7 figure bonus. While the Reds are offering a mid 6 figure bonus. Now I guess the issue is, that Grandal is asking for top 5 money and the Reds are trying to stick to slightly above slot. If the Reds go way way over slot for Cisco and sign him first, the Grandal camp will probably be less inclined to move off their demands if not raise them. So it puts them in a very touchy situation with both.

The Reds were willing to go over slot for Alonso, so it's going to be really difficult to convince Grandal's people that they're not willing to go over slot for him, too.

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    The Reds were willing to go over slot for Alonso, so it's going to be really difficult to convince Grandal's people that they're not willing to go over slot for him, too.
    From what he said they are willing to go over slot but not top 5 Money over slot. But if you give a 6th round pick late first round money, it makes it hard to take a hard line stance on your #1 pick wanting top 5 money. My personal opinion is that we have 2 pitchers with pretty much identical makeups and stuff in Mugarian and Cisco in back to back rounds. Mugarian throws a little harder with a little less polish. Take in the fact the 7th rounder Amezcua is a similar built guy with a power High School arm and loosing Cisco isn't a major loss. Grandal would be. Having him creates alot of flexibility down on the Farm.

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    Just a FYI. The same guy who gave me the low down on Waldrop gave me a little info on the Grandal/Cisco situation.

It seems that Cisco camp is wanting a 7 figure bonus. While the Reds are offering a mid 6 figure bonus. Now I guess the issue is, that Grandal is asking for top 5 money and the Reds are trying to stick to slightly above slot. If the Reds go way way over slot for Cisco and sign him first, the Grandal camp will probably be less inclined to move off their demands if not raise them. So it puts them in a very touchy situation with both.
    Which is why I expect Grandal to get signed and Cisco not to unfortunately. Perez and Marrero didn't get signed last season either and I wish they had the 2 of them are vying for college baseball freshman of the year from what I heard and we could have had both of 'em if they would have went well over slot like Cisco wants.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 08-13-2010 at 08:30 AM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Which is why I expect Grandal to get signed and Cisco not to unfortunately. Perez and Marrero didn't get signed last season either and I wish they had the 2 of them are vying for college baseball freshman of the year from what I heard and we could have had both of 'em if they would have went well over slot like Cisco wants.
    Exactly.
    Go BLUE!!!

I've always wondered about these good prospects drafted in "lower" rounds.

My sense is that a guy like Cisco could be a hedge against Grandal. In other words, do the Reds draft Cisco knowing he's a tough sign - and intend to pay him only if Grandal falls through.

I've felt that way in the past too. Draft some highly touted tough sign guys, and only sign them if your first pick isn't signed.

If anyone knows whether this kind of thinking prevails, I'd be interested.

I don't think they do that. For example they may not know if Grandal is going to sign untill 11:55 PM.

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I don't think they do that. For example they may not know if Grandal is going to sign untill 11:55 PM.
    Very true. But if the Reds make a hard line, bottom line offer and Grandals camp says no on the last day you call Cisco and say here is your bonus you demanded. Grandal wastes another year in College or Indy Leagues and the Reds move on.

I think the Reds should go ahead and meet the demands to sign Cisco first. His draft pick is not protected. Grandal is a protected pick so if cant sign him then get the first round pick in 2011. The Reds should be able to still sign Grandal after paying Cisco as well.

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    Grandal is a protected pick so if cant sign him then get the first round pick in 2011.
    I wouldn't be against this. Reds will be picking in the mid Twenties for the first time outside of a decade and having a second pick earlier in the 1st round wouldn't be a bad thing. But since the pick HAS to be signed, do they get a lesser talent than Grandal with that pick? Food for thought.

I'm predicting that IF they get it done tonight it will be done before the game is over and announced either in the latter 1/3 of the game of on the post game. You can take it to the bank (unless of course, I'm wrong).

is it true? Some guys over in tonights game thread say that Grandal was in the park tonight? Seen in the box with the suspended Dusty. Maybe a presser tomorrow before the game?

Sorry guys just saw the Grandal thread.

Turn Off Ads?