Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drew Stubbs Appreciation thread

Drew Stubbs Appreciation thread

I feel so unclean.

As the #7 hitter, he's posting this line: .337 .394 .592 .986 in 98 AB's

For May in total, .273 .339 .525 .864 in 99 AB's which includes 25 AB's at leadoff, 8th and 9th.

June: .308 .367 .462 .829 in 26 AB's

His last 30 days: .322 BA .992 OPS

For now I think we can let the Drew Stubbs: UNCLE thread die. I've never been happier about being wrong about a player, as I had him pegged as a 4th OF at best. I still think the approach of having him leadoff is completely wrong. His numbers since moving to 7th in the order are crazy, and its comforting to see how balanced this lineup is currently. If Gomes doesn't return next year, an OF of Heisey, Stubbs and Bruce would be just fine.

The Reds need him to be this kind of player. If he starts stealing more, maybe some tips from Eric Davis and Joe Morgan, he could turn into ED. 25+HR's 50+ SB's. Not many guys doing that these days.
    Suck it up cupcake.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Drew Stubbs Appreciation thread

Truly a landmark ORG thread!

I'm thrilled Stubbs has been put in a position to succeed, and he is taking off. If he continues to develop, the sky truly is the limit for this guy.

Edit: Not to hi-jack, but I'd be shocked if the Reds didn't bring Gomes back for $1.75M.
    Last edited by Homer Bailey; 06-10-2010 at 10:27 AM.

Could be the limit. I'm appreciating what he's done. I think he's in a position to succeed, but I'm not expecting a plaque in Cooperstown just yet.

But the offense has been clicking since he moved down in the order, and BP and Cabrera moved up.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Right on, TRF!
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

My son laughed at me when I told him that if Stubbs could OPS .750 or higher, he'd be the best CF in the NL. He is at .754 and climbing now. I can't think of one I'd trade him for at this point.
    Last edited by MississippiRed; 06-10-2010 at 10:35 AM. Reason: bad number
    Win some, lose some, some get rained out.

Quote Originally Posted by MississippiRed View Post
    My son laughed at me when I told him that if Stubbs could OPS .750 or higher, he'd be the best CF in the NL. He is at .754 and climbing now. I can't think of one I'd trade him for at this point.
    Matt Kemp

According to UZR, Matt Kemp is positively Dunnian on defense.

According to UZR, anyway.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post

Have you watched Kemp this year? He has exactly done well for himself defensively. Given his defense and offense to this point in his career, I think Kemp can be projected as something like a 3.5 to 4.0 win player.

I think we all know Stubbs is one heck of a defensive CF (though that doesn't mean he's played great so far this year). If he plays up to his potential on both sides of the ball, he could definitely be in the 4 win ballpark.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 06-10-2010 at 11:00 AM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Matt Kemp
    I'm a Kemp fan, but I don't think so. I'd love to have Kemp in LF, but there is something about those doubles going to die when Stubbs is in CF.
    Last edited by MississippiRed; 06-10-2010 at 11:40 AM.
    Win some, lose some, some get rained out.

I'm curious as to why Stubbs hasn't been attempting steal in the last 2-3 weeks, despite many opportunities.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Cruisin' for trouble

When I'm watching the game, I make it a point to watch Votto, Rolen, Gomes and Stubbs hit. Even though Stubbs strikes out a lot, you can really see it clicking with him.

If he could develop his bunting skills and improve his stealing technique, he could really be a headache for the opposing team defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post

If you understand UZR, you also understand that you should regress that number given the small sample size. His "fielding percentage" is positively Dunnian as well. It's not outside the realm of possibility that he's not off to a good start defensively.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

It takes a big man to admit when he's wrong. Right now TRF has shown he's positively sumo.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

I don't want to be a one tool poster, seen only for my arguments with doug about Stubbs. I still maintain the Reds did him a disservice in the minor leagues and that it took Dusty and his staff to see he isn't a leadoff hitter. Despite the fact that over the last 30 days he's been one of the Reds hottest hitters, Dusty hasn't moved him one inch further up the lineup. Fortunately he hasn't needed to. I think its doing wonders for his confidence and its letting him be the player he should be.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds View Post
    When I'm watching the game, I make it a point to watch Votto, Rolen, Gomes and Stubbs hit. Even though Stubbs strikes out a lot, you can really see it clicking with him.
    Stubbs' ABs have become must-see for me too. The prospect of him gliding around the basepaths is one of the more exciting aspects of this team for me, not to mention his tracking down of balls hit in the gaps.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Turn Off Ads?