Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post-Draft Top Ten???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post-Draft Top Ten???

Between the draft, the signing of Perez, and the ups (Meso, Valaika) and downs (Yonder, Frazier) of the 2010 season, I personally have no idea how to construct a top ten prospect list after Chapman. Picking one at this point in the year is a pretty moot exercise anway, but does anyone want to try one just for fun?
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Re: Post-Draft Top Ten???

Uggh, something like this, maybe.

#1 - Chapman
    #2 - Alonso
    #3 - Frazier
    #4 - Mes
    #5 - Heisey
    #6 - Cozart
    #7 - Grandal
    #8 - Yorman
    #9 - Hamilton
    #10 - Wood
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I think if the Reds' brass was commenting on this thread they would insist on Grandal being much higher than #7. Perhaps as high as #3.

Quote Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
    I think if the Reds' brass was commenting on this thread they would insist on Grandal being much higher than #7. Perhaps as high as #3.
    Well I might be inclined to move him a spot maybe 2 but IMO no more than that right now. Assuming he signs which I am confident he will he's a fine prospect but I still believe Mes is clearly the better prospect, he doesn't quite have Grandals overall polish but he's more talented and we might be surprised at just how polished he is comparitively speaking. And if true then it makes Grandal no better than 5 IMHO.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

too soon for this, IMO

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Until these guys sign, its all moot.

Well, we know it wouldn't be more than Grandal and maybe LaMarre.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Mesoraco more talented than Grandal?

Where do you get that idea, M-R?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post

Where do you get that idea, M-R?
    Well at this point until I hear more about Grandal that is my view. There has never been any question that Mes' talent level is anything other than at least above average across the board. Grandal has a few question marks that need answering.

--Woody Hayes

Sure, there have. Numerous questions. Tons of questions. Experts considered him a less than ideal athlete with questionable defense (to be kind), a slow bat that has a ton of holes in it, and a really, really slow pop time to second base.

Obviously, he's improved in those areas, but to say he didn't have questions is plain, flat-out wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Sure, there have. Numerous questions. Tons of questions. Experts considered him a less than ideal athlete with questionable defense (to be kind), a slow bat that has a ton of holes in it, and a really, really slow pop time to second base.

Obviously, he's improved in those areas, but to say he didn't have questions is plain, flat-out wrong.
    Talent and skill are 2 different things. I've never heard any issues with arm strength, bat speed or anything else god given except people continually questioned his overall conditioning but I have never seen the kid out of shape. If you have please post.

--Woody Hayes

Chapman
    Francisco
    Frazier
    Yorman
    Alonso
    Grandal
    Wood
    Mesoraco
    Cozart
    Joseph
    Boxberger
    Hamilton
    Lamarre
    Valaika
    Duran
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-11-2010 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Chapman
    Francisco
    Frazier
    Yorman
    Alonso
    Grandal
    Wood
    Mesoraco
    Cozart
    Joseph
    Boxberger
    Hamilton
    Lamarre
    Valaika
    Duran
    I'd give it a few tweaks but this looks somewhat reasonable for the time being. Important to note that right now there is a big gap between Chapman and everybody else.
    Go BLUE!!!

I can't imagine arguing Grandal over Mesoraco at this point. Even if he turns out to be a good hitter, Grandal's defense is supposedly passable at best. Mesoraco has a chance to be a plus defender and has been tearing the cover off the ball all year.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    I can't imagine arguing Grandal over Mesoraco at this point. Even if he turns out to be a good hitter, Grandal's defense is supposedly passable at best. Mesoraco has a chance to be a plus defender and has been tearing the cover off the ball all year.
    Just look at Mesoraco's performance so far except for this year at High A. Remember all the reports that the Reds had blown the pick. BA ranked him 30th among Reds prospects this year.

Grandal is an advanced, polished college performer, Mes is very much a work in progress.

It's reasonable to pick Mes. He seems to be very talented and showed it at Lynchburg.

It's just as reasonable to pick Grandal.

Turn Off Ads?