Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Please Read Before Posting: Clarifying Thread Titles (2010 edition)

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Please Read Before Posting: Clarifying Thread Titles (2010 edition)

An issue that was addressed on RedsZone back in 2004 has resurfaced again, so I thought it was time for a reminder. Since I can't update the thread in the Sun Deck and I'm not a fan of reinventing the wheel, here are some highlights that get the point across.

(If the mods would prefer to merge this thread with the version at http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41753 and put the merged thread in this forum, that would be swell. )

Quote Originally Posted by Savafan View Post
    I hope this doesn't sound catty, or mean spirited, because it's not meant that way. I'm just wondering if something could be done about making thread titles a bit clearer about what the thread actually subject is. Lately, it seems like I have to read every thread just to make sure that I'm not making a double post. Not that I don't eventually read most threads anyway, but usually when I first sign on I skim the board to see what's new and what the topics are while scanning the news wire at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    1. If a new post is mainly about a person and something they did, the subject of the post should include:
    a. the person's name
    b. the thing they did

Example: Let's say Ryan Freel hit an inside-the-park HR in yesterday's game and you think it was great...

Some good thread titles that include both a and b would be:
    - Ryan Freel's inside the park HR was amazing!
    - Freel's inside-the-park shot

Some bad thread titles would be:
    - Freel is freaking awesome!
    - Where does he get that speed?
    - Inside the park...
    - About Ryan Freel yesterday
    - Freel rips one
    - Not much offense, but one great display of it
    - Impressive yesterday
    - Ryan Freel!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss Hog View Post
    I think those are pretty good guidelines. One thing that is especially difficult is when people start a thread like "Anyone know....." and leave the rest of the question in the thread, presumably to get more people to read it. We have enough posts that everyone shouldn't have to read every one to see if something's been posted before - that much should be noticeable from the thread titles.

Boss
    /r/reds

2. Likes:

Bob Borkowski (05-18-2013),mdccclxix (08-01-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    High five!

Re: Please Read Before Posting: Clarifying Thread Titles (2010 edition)

I'd really appreciate a standardized titling for game threads. Example:

[game #]. [date] - Reds vs. [opponent] (hilarious comment)

So, today would be

62. 6/11/2010 - Reds vs. Royals (I mean, LOLals!)

Thanks for reviving this.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

Dear America make your thread title want my click, not my curiosity of what your thread title might lead me to.

8. Likes:

Brutus (08-01-2013),KittyDuran (08-03-2013),mdccclxix (08-01-2013),Razor Shines (08-02-2013),reds1869 (08-01-2013),redsmetz (08-02-2013)

Tapatalk's version of RZ is pretty good with this. I usually click on "Latest". Doesn't give you the OP post (unless it was just entered) but the start of the last reply. 95% of the time I can figure out if the thread is worth my reading time.
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Thought I'd bump this. There have been some good threads (and a few not so good) popping up lately with titles that tell you nothing about what the thread is about

btw, shouldn't this thread be titled "Something we need to keep in mind"?
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

11. Likes:

George Anderson (09-13-2013),Revering4Blue (09-13-2013)

Turn Off Ads?