Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can we get Owings outta here already

Can we get Owings outta here already

send him down . DL him. do something everytime we comes in a game walk walk walk walk. bring maloney up
    2009 Redszone MLB Mock Draft

1st Round - Steven Strasburg

1st Round - Matt Purke

2nd Round - Brett Jackson

3rd Round - Kent Matthes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Can we get Owings outta here already

tonights loss was not his fault, we had numerous times to win the game with just 1 hit and didn't do it. Blame Votto, or Arroyo for blowing the lead but not the BP

doesnt help hes only worked once or twice. doesnt get in, needs that work

You're right not his fault, its Reds management's fault for not finding some bullpen help to get in there who wouldn't give up a walk to an .083 batter that ends up costing us the game.

Quote Originally Posted by aubashbrother View Post
    send him down . DL him. do something everytime we comes in a game walk walk walk walk. bring maloney up

LOL...I feel all the negativity towards Owings....how could he walk Pena on 4 pitches? But I don't think I would throw him out with the trash just yet. I really don't get why Bruce wasn't asked to bunt....move them over then PH Cairo to win....

Hasn't pitched in 11 days. It may be an excuse but it's a fact. Check out his game log -- he pitches well when he's getting work.

If he hasn't pitched long relief in 4 or 5 days Dusty just has to throw him out there in the 6th or 7th at least to keep him adjusted to game situations.

He hasn't been used enough to get used to the BP regimen. I have wondered why, when others have floundered, why he hasn't been used more! He couldn't be any worse. Owings needs to work to get accustomed to working in relief. The only excuse I can come up with is he's a potential pinch Bat. Screw that, he's supposed to be a PITCHER!!!!!

(Who happens to be able to hit)...

Formerly Farsighted Fan sabometrics's Avatar

He's a long reliever. A long reliever that doesn't have problems in his game would be in a MLB rotation. They're all going to have appearances like this, especially when they're not getting any in-game work.
    "He looked like a surfer kid from SoCal," manager Dusty Baker says. "He didn't say much, but you could tell he was cool."

Owings definitely played a part in this Reds loss. There's a bigger problem though. You have article after article about the Reds lack of bullpen depth and the fear that we are overusing Rhodes and will burn him out. Then we have Owings who NEVER pitches. A relief pitcher who pitches twice so far this month??? Its not like one of his outings was 4 innings or something.

Reds Fan 4 life!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyBaker View Post
    Hasn't pitched in 11 days. It may be an excuse but it's a fact. Check out his game log -- he pitches well when he's getting work.

If he hasn't pitched long relief in 4 or 5 days Dusty just has to throw him out there in the 6th or 7th at least to keep him adjusted to game situations.
    I agree. I think he could be a fix to our bullpen troubles.
    "Ahh, Jesus, I like him very much, but He no help with curveball." - Serrano. "Are you trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?" - Harris in Major League (1989)

Quote Originally Posted by aubashbrother View Post
    Yes, because the logical solution after every pitcher gives up runs is to DL'him, release him, or trade him. If the "reaction" were running this team we would already be through our MLB, AAA, and part of our AA pitching staffs because we would have already released everyone.

This time last year Owings was a starter in our rotation, now he is the long reliever, where he belongs.

This loss falls partially on owings shoulders absolutely.

However i blame dusty as well. You cant let a guy that obviously didnt have it walk two straight guys and not even be close to the plate.

You watch him walk the first guy. Then you watch him throw the next guy two pitches wayyy out of the strike zone.

Right then and there Dusty should have pulled and put whoever else in.

You dont let owings obviously struggling blow this game for us.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyBaker View Post

Agreed. I had the same thought at the time.

Dusty does weird things.

He hasn't gotten Owings any work in games and suddenly uses him in a tie game?

Headscratcher.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bgwilly31 View Post
    This loss falls partially on owings shoulders absolutely.

However i blame dusty as well. You cant let a guy that obviously didnt have it walk two straight guys and not even be close to the plate.

You watch him walk the first guy. Then you watch him throw the next guy two pitches wayyy out of the strike zone.

Right then and there Dusty should have pulled and put whoever else in.

You dont let owings obviously struggling blow this game for us.
    I agree.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

Turn Off Ads?