Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tired of Brandon Phillips hot dogging it...

Tired of Brandon Phillips hot dogging it...

I realize Phillips has been hitting really well lately, and I know he's a solid above average player, but I am extremely frustrated with seeing him constantly do things that cost them. Tonight it ends up being a 1 run loss, there isn't really an easier double play turn than the one he had with the bases loaded, and he decided to non-shalant it, and the runner ends up beating it out, costing them a run in this one run loss. Again, I realize he's a solid player, and has been hitting really well, and if it was a one time thing it would be different, but this hasn't been an isolated incident with him. He's constantly doing things like not running out of the box, and playing at 100% all the time. Seriously, is it really that much to ask for a guy to run hard 4 times a night with the kind of money they make? When you hit a ball that is questionable, RUN, and if you can't judge any better than he has in the past, run when you think you are sure you hit it out until you see it go over. I'm not saying to get rid of Phillips, he's an extremely talented player, all i'm saying is i'm sick of seeing stupid mental mistakes that he makes that should be easy for him to fix cost them games. Hanley Ramirez was benched for not hustling, and he's certainly a higher profile player than BP.
    Last edited by mroby85; 06-12-2010 at 12:14 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Tired of Brandon Phillips hot dogging it...

Phillips is the Franchise

Just ask him

Of all the things Reds fans have to complain and /or worry about, the play and hustle of Brandon Phillips is pretty low down on the list.

Where's your Votto thread, he's made way more mental mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by davereds24 View Post
    Where's your Votto thread, he's made way more mental mistakes.
    I hope you aren't serious... he had a bad game tonight, but phillips isn't half the player he is, and makes way more bonehead plays than votto does. As I said in the initial post, I think Phillips is a solid player, and helps the team overall, what bothers me is how easy the stupid things he continually does would be to fix. eg. the double play tonight, or the several bonehead baserunning mistakes, and then waving to the camera after being picked off. You can say what you want about Votto, but he plays hard all the time, and doesn't take plays off.

Votto, (whom I'm usually a great fan of), sure made a bonehead cutoff decision tonight. The winning run was out if he'd let the throw come to the plate.

A lot of African American players think the term "Hot Dog" or "Hot Dogging it" is a racial slur. I've heard it from players on MLB radio and in print. I don't really have an opinion on it, but I can't say I remember the last time I heard someone call a white player a "hot dog".

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    A lot of African American players think the term "Hot Dog" or "Hot Dogging it" is a racial slur. I've heard it from players on MLB radio and in print. I don't really have an opinion on it, but I can't say I remember the last time I heard someone call a white player a "hot dog".
    Jim Edmonds has been accused on about, oh roughly one hundred million occasions, of being a hot dog on this board. Redszone feels unequivocally that Jim Edmonds is slathered head to toe with mustard.
    Last edited by texasdave; 06-12-2010 at 02:20 AM.

i didnt see all the game tonite but i felt brandon phillips has made great strides in terms of playing hard. his 1st at bat he is willing to sacrifice his bat for and runs down the line. i never really seen him "hotdog" on the defensive side i always seen him take great pride in that area of his game.

i do agree on the base running a little b/c sometimes he has missed concentration and got into some pickles. but he has also probably gone 1st to 3rd, 1st to home, 2nd to home more than any other player.

Formerly Farsighted Fan sabometrics's Avatar

Really? I've never heard this. I'd be interested in seeing the etymology of the phrase.
    "He looked like a surfer kid from SoCal," manager Dusty Baker says. "He didn't say much, but you could tell he was cool."

AI don't really have an opinion on it, but I can't say I remember the last time I heard someone call a white player a "hot dog".
    That's all we called them back in the '60's.

just saw the highlight of the game and i didnt see anything wrong with that double play. im not saying BP hasnt dogged it in the past but since we started wining since late april he has really stepped up his game

I think race definitely played a role in the incident in Washington with Phillips. If a Jonny Gomes does that or a David Wright does that, he's an intense player who wants to win. With Phillips, he's showing up his team. Meanwhile, we watch so many histrionics after strikeouts and homeruns that go un-noticed.

As far as Votto goes. The Reds don't win without him. He just doesn't seem like a good first baseman. He's improved from 2 years ago, but he still has a long way to go. I wouldn't be surprised to see him move to left to make room for Alonso when that time comes.

Reds Fan 4 life!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by double21d View Post
    I think race definitely played a role in the incident in Washington with Phillips. If a Jonny Gomes does that or a David Wright does that, he's an intense player who wants to win. With Phillips, he's showing up his team. Meanwhile, we watch so many histrionics after strikeouts and homeruns that go un-noticed.

As far as Votto goes. The Reds don't win without him. He just doesn't seem like a good first baseman. He's improved from 2 years ago, but he still has a long way to go. I wouldn't be surprised to see him move to left to make room for Alonso when that time comes.
    I could be wrong, but I think Alonso is working in LF because Votto is our 1st baseman. He is a better athlete than Yonder but Votto has, and in on the verge of being a good defensive 1st baseman. Alonso has to find a spot to play, not Votto.
    "Ahh, Jesus, I like him very much, but He no help with curveball." - Serrano. "Are you trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?" - Harris in Major League (1989)

Quote Originally Posted by double21d View Post

For the most part Votto is a great first baseman. His defensive strides have been huge...last night he was not there though. Such as the barehand play Rolen had early on where Votto appeared to come off the bag before the ball the there (even though he didn't scoop it). Seemed like he gave up on the play before it was over...which is basically what Phillips is being accused of.

The thing with Phillips double play turn is that he makes the turn look so easy we can all be convinced a difficult turn is an easy one. When you have the runner bearing down on you as a 2b you have 2 options, do a quick throw to first with your momentum flowing away from the 2b bag, or step in front of behind the bag and make a harder throw. The 2 options really balance out (harder throw but take more time to make it, or softer but quicker release). Phillips almost always makes the quick release, slower throw.

On another note, have any of you ever seen a MLB umpire pump his fist out, only to call the guy safe? The guy was safe but that was a bit bizarre.

Turn Off Ads?