Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Civil war buffs - Free content

Re: Civil war buffs - Free content

About 15 or 16 years or so back I got into a real diehard family research mode. For those that are doing this and those that have done this, it needs no explaining, it is extremely consuming. I'm from the south (NC) and am a history buff of sorts. I have read quite a bit from the pre revolution period through Reconstruction. I wanted to know if I had ancestors that fought for the Confederacy. I was blown away at how many did indeed fight for the CSA. They were all from North Carolina. It is amazing how much information is out there if you start digging. One of my ancestors was wounded on the first day at Gettysburg, another died just north of Richmond as a result of "grapeshot." I actually uncovered a picture of this guy in the archives and several letters he had written to his wife leading up to the Battle of Fredericksburg. I have since visited several grave sites of my ancestors that fought. Again, there is so much out there if one will dedicate the time to find it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by muddie View Post
    About 15 or 16 years or so back I got into a real diehard family research mode. For those that are doing this and those that have done this, it needs no explaining, it is extremely consuming. I'm from the south (NC) and am a history buff of sorts. I have read quite a bit from the pre revolution period through Reconstruction. I wanted to know if I had ancestors that fought for the Confederacy. I was blown away at how many did indeed fight for the CSA. They were all from North Carolina. It is amazing how much information is out there if you start digging. One of my ancestors was wounded on the first day at Gettysburg, another died just north of Richmond as a result of "grapeshot." I actually uncovered a picture of this guy in the archives and several letters he had written to his wife leading up to the Battle of Fredericksburg. I have since visited several grave sites of my ancestors that fought. Again, there is so much out there if one will dedicate the time to find it.
    It's really interesting. I used this site last night to try to find relatives who fought in the war, but none of them (direct g-g or g-g-g-grandparents) apparently did. (Already have the research finished on the ancestors, so I already had birth dates, birthplaces, and death dates.)

It's certainly time-consuming and exhausting. There's nothing like going to the grave-sites of relatives, though (and non-relatives, as stories of people are always interesting).

http://www.angelfire.com/ak2/intelli...civil_war.html

Amazing Original Photographs from the Civil War

Whether you like history or not... These are pretty amazing considering they were taken up to 145 years ago: A compendium of photos from the Civil War era. Truly fortunate that so many of these have survived. Probably a million wet plate photos were made during the civil war on glass plate. Popular during the war, they lost their appeal afterwards and so many were sold for the glass. Many used in green houses. Over the years the sun caused the images to disappear. Run the cursor over the photograph and the picture caption will pop up. Click photo to enlarge.

On vacation, we hit Gettysburg the other day. Did a walk-thru at the Cemetery, and then bought an audio CD for the auto tour. The narrator on the CD, which was simply fantastic, has done work for History Channel.

It took us about 3 hours because we made frequent stops along the battlefield, and I was making my own video, but my narration wasn't as good.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?