Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reds call up reliever Jordan Smith from Double-A

Reds call up reliever Jordan Smith from Double-A

From mlbtraderumors:

Reds called up reliever Jordan Smith from Double A, MLBTR has learned.

http://twitter.com/mlbtrreds

IMO, Smith is not an improvement at this point. Here's his current stats in AA: 28.1 IP, 38 H, 3 HR, 8 BB, 14 K, 2.18 GO/FO, 5.08 ERA. He gets a good amount of groundballs but he doesn't miss very many bats. Assuming this is true, it doesn't make much sense, IMO.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...pbp&pid=502136
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 06-14-2010 at 10:27 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds call up reliever Jordan Smith from Double-A?

Short of calling up one of their AAA starters or the guys coming back from injury, it was down to Smith, Fisher, and Valiquette for guys on the 40 man. And Fisher and Valiquette have major issues throwing strikes.

I didn't realize we had an open spot on the 25 man.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Ground ballers in the minors are interesting. Because they're playing on crappier fields with (often) worse defenders, it's possible they'll fare better as they advance.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I think Rick nailed it. The guy seems to be able to throw strikes at least. Maybe the rest of the Reds bullpen (save Arthur Rhodes) can take some cues from Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Short of calling up one of their AAA starters or the guys coming back from injury, it was down to Smith, Fisher, and Valiquette for guys on the 40 man. And Fisher and Valiquette have major issues throwing strikes.

I didn't realize we had an open spot on the 25 man.
    The Reds don't have an open spot on the 25 man roster. Assuming this is true, the Reds would have to ship someone out.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Ground ballers in the minors are interesting. Because they're playing on crappier fields with (often) worse defenders, it's possible they'll fare better as they advance.
    Agreed. I think a groundball pitcher for a relief pitcher is a good way to go right now.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Re: Reds to call up reliever Jordan Smith from Double-A?

Fisher has never had any trouble throwing strikes in the minors. As with anybody, It's a crapshoot what a guy does when he's called up to the bigs. Some guys just get psyched out.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Smith have some early success here.
    Go BLUE!!!

Do whatever possible until teams are ready to deal bullpen arms. I have no doubt that Walt will get bullpen help in a month or so if the team stays in the race, but right now there aren't many sellers, and the teams that will be sellers are really just starting to evaluate who they will deal and what they want in return.

If Smith does come up, fine by me. Shuffling the deck chairs is about all that can be done right now unless they get lucky in an early deal. No real fixes will be available for a month.
    Last edited by guttle11; 06-15-2010 at 12:12 AM.

I'll take him, if true. The market hasn't truly opened for business yet so until it does we may see a few relievers get the call to see who might be able to help.

Smith has been rock solid in his last 6 outings: 8 innings, 7 hits, 1 run, 0 BB and 3 K. They've been giving him some 2-inning stints, too.

Worth a shot -- as others have said, this is the time to be checking out some in-house options. Already, it seems Ondrusek may be on the right track. Hopefully they can find another hot hand here soon.

Haunted by walks

Are the Reds going to lead the league in pitchers who didn't pitch in AAA?

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Are the Reds going to lead the league in pitchers who didn't pitch in AAA?
    Besides Leake, who else do we have that hasn't pitched in AAA?
    Last edited by redsmetz; 06-15-2010 at 12:29 PM.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Besides Leake, who else do we have that hasn't pitched in AA?
    I still bet they lead the league...show me a team with 3 pitchers who skipped AAA.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I still bet they lead the league...show me a team with 3 pitchers who skipped AAA.
    But who is the other pitcher? Leake, Smith if this is true and who?
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Turn Off Ads?