Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Be thankful we're not the Royals....

Be thankful we're not the Royals....

From Aaron Gleeman of Rotoworld:

Not all left handed-hitting third basemen who were No. 2 overall picks have a smooth ride to stardom. Alex Gordon has gone from sure thing to major question mark, and now the Royals won't recall him from Triple-A despite huge numbers there since his demotion last month. He's hitting .359 with 10 homers in 39 games to rank second in the Pacific Coast League in batting average, on-base percentage, slugging percentage, and OPS.

Meanwhile, the Royals have started 34-year-old Scott Podsednik in left field for 59 of 64 games and not surprising rank 12th in the AL with a measly .668 OPS from the position. Why they'd want to continue playing a mediocre, mid-30s veteran over a 26-year-old former top prospect who's been destroying Triple-A pitching for six weeks is beyond me, but Dayton Moore and Ned Yost have made it clear Gordon won't be back any time soon.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/fea...&article=35525

I just can't see the REDS doing something like this now. While we may have done it with Corey P and Willy T, we didn't actually have them playing over someone who was dominating AAA pitching the way Gordon is right now. Even Dusty seems to be using the better players most of the time now.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Re: Be thankful we're not the Royals....

In this decade alone, the Reds had a power hitting can't miss 3B prospect, who had a Golden Spikes award in his trophy case and a top prospect pedigree to match. A prospect they treated like a hated yo-yo for a number of seasons while he floundered and failed.

Those who live in glass houses.....

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    In this decade alone, the Reds had a power hitting can't miss 3B prospect, who had a Golden Spikes award in his trophy case and a top prospect pedigree to match. A prospect they treated like a hated yo-yo for a number of seasons while he floundered and failed.

Yes they did. They should have moved him to Left Field earlier in his career. That said, I'm really referring to "today's" state-of-the-REDS. I can't see them doing that now.

Who won Golden Spikes and was in the Reds farm system? I think you are talking about Brandon Larson but he never won.

Who are you talking about? The Reds have never had a Golden Spikes winner.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Who won Golden Spikes and was in the Reds farm system? I think you are talking about Brandon Larson but he never won.
    Correct. He was a finalist for the award but did not win it.

Of course Larson was doing things a lot differently than Gordon. Larson was hitting for power, but also had TERRIBLE plate discipline which was a sign of things to come. Gordon is owning AAA with 31 walks and 39 strikeouts. Giant difference.

The success rate of Gold Spikes winners is pretty through the roof.

Only a couple in the last 20 years have failed.

Anyone think Gordon would be obtainable and/or valuable to the Reds?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Could be. They have as I've said in many posts, lots of solutions to the Reds ails...

Soria, Farnsworth and Gordon would be nice addition to the current group.

Move them Heisey, Francisco, Wood, Del Rosario, Maloney and Sutton.

Someone to replace Posednik or DeJesus if he is moved, 2 Starters, a young cheap arm to replace Farnsworth, a Utility guy and a DH who would add LH pop to their lineup.

Reds get a top 5 closer/set-up man a quality middle relief arm and a 3B/LF guy who is closing in on 27 and probably could use a fresh start. I'd be willing to trade Bailey in place of Wood and Heisey to get that deal done.
    If you can't be a good example... then you'll just have to be a horrible warning...

Nothing tastes as good as being fit feels...

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I'd love to see the reds in on Gordon, I'd turn him into a corner supersub lf/3b/1b. Whatever gets his bat on the field.

I can't believe some of the things the Royals do, I would rather have Gordon or Kila Ka'aihue DH rather than Jose Guillen.

The Buckeye Bomber

It's a shame that the Royals are so consistently bad. I always liked them in the early 90's when Bo Jackson was bouncing back and forth between the Royals and the Raiders.

Uniforms that nice shouldn't be wasted on such mediocrity. Oh well.
    I hate the Cardinals. I hate the Cubs.
    Let's. Go. Reds.
    "Per Aspera Ad Astra"

Turn Off Ads?