Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Walt's got a major decision to make with Harang.

Walt's got a major decision to make with Harang.

He's either going to have to get rid of Harang one way or another or toss the 2010 season into the garbage can by continuing to let him pitch.

I've never understood why General Managers care how much money a player is making determine if he gets playing time or not. They have to pay everyone no matter what, so just play the best players, regardless of salary. Harang's proven he's totally useless, so it's time to stop using him. (his last two starts were against Pittsburgh and Houston, so pitching well against them doesn't count).

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Walt's got a major decision to make with Harang.

The problem is, he hasn't been horrible the last few starts with his numbers, but every fan knows he is getting lucky. He has not pitched well at all but yet somehow ends up only giving up three or four. It's hard to move someone that does that.

Quote Originally Posted by arkimadee View Post
    The problem is, he hasn't been horrible the last few starts with his numbers,....
    Great time to trade him for anything. Even a bucket of balls.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    He's either going to have to get rid of Harang one way or another or toss the 2010 season into the garbage can by continuing to let him pitch.
    Agreed. His usual 4 ER in 6 IP, followed by yet another novel or bizarre excuse, has grown old.

At this point Maloney has to be wondering (apart from the blister problem) what he has to do to get called up.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

The thing that irks me most, is he never seems to step up when we need him too. Yet we have a guy like LeCure dueling with the opposing teams aces on a routine bases. Looks like we can use the run support excuse tonight, but he gave up 3 in the first on is a big game in a big series.

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Agreed. His usual 4 ER in 6 IP, followed by yet another novel or bizarre excuse, has grown old.

At this point Maloney has to be wondering (apart from the blister problem) what he has to do to get called up.
    Same with Travis Wood, who's last 6 starts have resulted in an ERA under 2.00.

He is untradeable. His option is picked up if traded and no one and I mean no one will pay this dude 14 million next year to stink up their park.

'19 '40 '75 '76 '90

According to scouts he's throwing his best in several years over the course of his last 6-7 starts, so in theory now would be the time to move him. Can't imagine it happening though.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Same with Travis Wood, who's last 6 starts have resulted in an ERA under 2.00.
    I agree.

I have pulled for MM for quite awhile, as I know several of us here have. But Wood's definitely earning a shot of his own.

It'll be nice to see at least one, maybe even two lefties in the rotation before long. Of course, one of them will be Aroldis Chapman.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Quote Originally Posted by berryluther View Post
    He is untradeable. His option is picked up if traded and no one and I mean no one will pay this dude 14 million next year to stink up their park.
    Sadly, you are spot on

Stick him in the bullpen and give him the Owings treatment.

i can understand not wanting to pay a guy that makes as much as he does to play in the minors but they can stick him in the pen. maybe he can be more effective knowing he just has to focus on three batters a night instead of 6 innings of batters. they got 6 weeks till the trade deadline might as well see what can be salvaged with harang in the pen. maybe there is something there maybe not but atleast find out.

'19 '40 '75 '76 '90

June 10th article

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...resses-scouts/

"I talked to two scouts about Aaron Harang – one from the National League and another from the American League– both were impressed last night.

“That’s the best I’ve seen him in two years,” one said.

“The only thing he should do is junk that curveball,” the other said.

Harang hung a curveball that Buster Posey hit out for a two-run home run. Those were the only runs Harang allowed.

If Harang continues to pitch like he has – 5-2, 3.93 ERA over his last nine starts – there will be a market for him at the trade deadline.'

Sorry, but that is false. If he is traded the option goes from a club option to a mutual option. Basically giving him the option to decline it if the team were to exercise it. The team wouldn't exercise it, so they would just be responsible for the 2.5 million buyout. This buyout does increase from 2 to 2.5 million if traded.

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/200...i-reds_24.html

You gotta move him to the pen or something. I'm not one of these guys who says "HE SUCKS HE CANT WIN HES THE WORST I HATE HIM AND HIS FAMILY LETS EAT HIS SOUL, EVEN THOUGH IT WOULDNT SOLVE ANYTHING BUT MAKE US MORE HUNGRY BECAUSE THATS HOW EMPTY HE IS" guy that seems to creep up during game threads.

Try him in the pen, see how his stuff works out there. Bring up a travis wood or trade for Dan Haren. Harang is a decent pitcher hes just not close to being a reliable starter anymore.

Turn Off Ads?