Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's Over..........no more relief help

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

It's Over..........no more relief help

I didn't believe in the June Swoon before now.

Now I do. The club is going to stand pat as the bullpen screws every game over and we're forced to watch the bad news.

Enjoy and we will start talking about next year.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Formerly Farsighted Fan sabometrics's Avatar

Re: It's Over..........no more relief help

I love coming to RedZone every night after a loss to laugh at the "sky-is-falling" comments.

We're still in first place ... get a grip.
    "He looked like a surfer kid from SoCal," manager Dusty Baker says. "He didn't say much, but you could tell he was cool."

'19 '40 '75 '76 '90

crazy talk. we could play 5 games over .500 the rest of the year and get 92 wins. we need to work out the bullpen situation but I think options are being explored.

Hows the weather your way, fair you say?
    UNC Tar Heels 2009 National Champions 5 time NCAA Champs
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

Stat geek...and proud

Not many moves out there to make in early June. I say this every year. You aren't going to get any bullpen help right now without highly overpaying. The trade market just hasn't started yet. It's too early. I would say Arizona has started selling early, but their bullpen is pretty bad as well, so no real help there, unless Heilmann can be had for a song.
    Last edited by gilpdawg; 06-16-2010 at 08:41 AM.

Definitely a panic post out of frustration.

But I am starting to wonder if we can't compete against the better teams. We just look sick lately.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

How did the Cards look against the Dodgers or Padres?

Thats an excuse post^^^^ Just because they suck doesnt mean we can suck and its ok.

No what i am saying is that right now those teams are better then both us and the Cards.

Quote Originally Posted by bgwilly31 View Post
    Thats an excuse post^^^^ Just because they suck doesnt mean we can suck and its ok.

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    No what i am saying is that right now those teams are better then both us and the Cards.
    yes

I'm going to be Captain Obvious when I say it's just frustrating to be in first place, and realize you're one of the weaker first place teams in mlb.

Wish our bullpen was pitching like last year. Wish our offense could muster some hits and runs against a good pitcher from time to time.

Basically we're beating up on the bad teams and struggling against the teams we might see in the postseason.

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

I'm going to be Captain Obvious when I say it's just frustrating to be in first place, and realize you're one of the weaker first place teams in mlb.
    It wasn't that long ago that the Reds were one of the weaker fifth-place teams in MLB. I'd call that progress.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    It wasn't that long ago that the Reds were one of the weaker fifth-place teams in MLB. I'd call that progress.
    I prefer the glass half empty.

I know. Patience grasshopper. This may be the precursor to many good years ahead. I've enjoyed the rebuilding journey so far..........I need to remember where we once were.

I am not sure if you have noticed or not, but right now pitching is dominating baseball. Look around at the quality games we are seeing and such, right now pitching is leaps ahead of the hitting. We have made a major step this season so far, i think some people got wide eyed and forgot how young this team is and some of the holes it has. From the start I felt that this team could post 85-90 wins and maybe contend for the WC, which right now they are doing, but I had no expecations of continued success once we were in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post

Wish our bullpen was pitching like last year. Wish our offense could muster some hits and runs against a good pitcher from time to time.

Basically we're beating up on the bad teams and struggling against the teams we might see in the postseason.

The Reds are ahead of what I expected to this point. Before the season started I thought this team had a shot at the wild card, I still do. The thing that has surprised me this year, to the downside I might add, is the minor league system of the Reds. I would have thought there would have been more to pool from when things got a little rough than there may actually be. I think patience has got to be a part of any fans equation right now.

I think these guys are going to have to give Wood a chance. It would give the rotation a southpaw which I like as well. Chapman will happen eventually but I always thought the anticipation of him being the savior this year was premature and am glad he is still in Louisville. The Reds are halfway through June and in first place. Try to keep things in perspective and enjoy the good stuff to date.

Turn Off Ads?