Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Pirates Designate Akinori Iwamura For Assignment

Pirates Designate Akinori Iwamura For Assignment

My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Pirates Designate Akinori Iwamura For Assignment

If Aki can be picked up for league minimum, he wouldn't be a bad guy to have coming off the bench. He has played terribly this year but still has real value if his knee can hold up.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    If Aki can be picked up for league minimum, he wouldn't be a bad guy to have coming off the bench. He has played terribly this year but still has real value if his knee can hold up.
    I can see this being a really shrewd deal for the bench potentially, don't know the Reds will though what with the knee.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Adding Alvarez to McCutchen, and the Pirates continue towards respectablility.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

The last time I checked, he had a horribly unfortunate BABIP despite a solid line drive rate. I can't check it from my phone right now. Does this still ring true?

I'd pick him up on the cheap, to spell BP a bit and provide something off the bench (likely with more consistency then Cairo or Janish).
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    Adding Alvarez to McCutchen, and the Pirates continue towards respectablility.
    McCutchen and Alvarez are two of the more exciting young players in the game. If they can sign Tallion and Allie, I'll be impressed, although knowing the Pirates McCutchen and Alvarez will be long gone by the time the two young pitchers are ready for the big leagues.

As per the topic of this thread, I'm not interested in Iwamura. I think Valaika or Sutton could provide a similar level of production for cheap, with youth and upside on their side.
    Go BLUE!!!

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    McCutchen and Alvarez are two of the more exciting young players in the game. If they can sign Tallion and Allie, I'll be impressed, although knowing the Pirates McCutchen and Alvarez will be long gone by the time the two young pitchers are ready for the big leagues.

As per the topic of this thread, I'm not interested in Iwamura. I think Valaika or Sutton could provide a similar level of production for cheap, with youth and upside on their side.
    There is something to be said for experience, but I do think value wise Sutton could be more valuable. Although only due to the injury Iwamura has, if not then Iwamura on the cheap would be extremely wise.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Iwamaru was the single worst position player I have seen this year.

And I'm counting Corky in that mix.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

OOOOH YEEEAHHHH!! CarolinaRedleg's Avatar

Can he pitch?

The Pirates are starting to field an exciting team if these prospects live up to thier respective draft positions.

1B - Jones
    2B - Walker
    3B - Alvarez
    SS - Cedeno
    OF - Milledge
    OF - Tabata
    OF - McCutchen
    C - Doumit

And guys like LaRoche, Church, Crosby coming off the bench not a bad young team. WOuld be better if Clement could live up to the talent and be their 1B with Jones taking Milledge's place but a fun team to watch now all of a sudden.
    If you can't be a good example... then you'll just have to be a horrible warning...

Nothing tastes as good as being fit feels...

Blowing away bad memories Redsfan320's Avatar

Can he play anywhere besides 2nd? I know he played 3rd in Japan, but can he still play there? Or anywhere else in the IF?

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Turn Off Ads?