Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The real reason for the terrible homestand

The real reason for the terrible homestand

It's not the bullpen. It's the terrible starting pitching.

So far on this homestand the Reds have played 9 games. They've gotten 2 quality starts. Think about that for a second. Honestly, I don't see how they stay over .500 much longer. I think this coming road trip puts them down to about .500, and it goes from there.

How about we trade for 5 starters, and 6 bullpen arms. Then we can be contenders.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The real reason for the terrible homestand

Hey the offense hasn't been good at all either. Aside from that 11 run outburst aginst Bannister we've been held to lower than 4 runs in what seems like almost every game this past week. Basically the whole team has been awful and it does indeed look like a terrible rest of June is ahead.

Think about this, they go out west and play the Mariners and Oakland. The Mariners seem easy until you realize they face both Cliff Lee and Felix Hernandez in the 3 game set, in pitcher friendly Safeco Park. I think 2-4 or 1-5 is how they'll finish up the road trip.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    Think about this, they go out west and play the Mariners and Oakland. The Mariners seem easy until you realize they face both Cliff Lee and Felix Hernandez in the 3 game set, in pitcher friendly Safeco Park. I think 2-4 or 1-5 is how they'll finish up the road trip.
    Yeah, it would not surprise me if we get shut down in both of the Lee and Hernandez games. It seems like we sorta live and die off the home run, that's not going to get us any wins in these ballparks. I don't have any stats to back that up, but I've seen the Reds struggle to manufacture runs. Like today when Gomes led off with a double, two batters later he's still at second with 2 out and the 8 hitter coming up. That's just not winning baseball.

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    Reds win at least four out of six.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Do they beat Lee, Hernandez, or both?

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post

That's my prediction!
    Let's make some noise!

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

It's a big ballpark and I think Cueto outduels Lee. Big ballpark and lousy offense. Cueto should be up to the task.

I agree. We need another stretch like we had in May. I think it will eventually happen. I think it may be time in the near future to bring Chapman up.. The time is NOW! Let's take this division

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

The Reds hitters aren't coming up with the big hits they were getting earlier in the season.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

I am really concerned about this team right now.

How many times do we go out west on a road trip and come back happy? Almost never.

The bully is in shambles and our starters blow right now. This division has never been more winnable but we're smack-dab in the middle of a June Swoon.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

The real reason for the terrible homestand is that the Reds are just average. They have squeaked out a number of one-run games, and have had more calls go their way than not.

Sure, every once in a while, the low rollers will win against the high rollers. But for the most part, the big boys whip up on the little guys.

The Reds are better this year than we have seen in a while. They might win 85 games. Which, for this market and this payroll, is quite a feat.

...but the only reason we are tied for first is because the Cards are struggling. Really, we should be 3 or 4 games back with our record.

It is nice to still have a reason to cheer for the playoffs at this point. But the Reds are a paper tiger. And they don't have the payroll (depth) to be anything other.

Quote Originally Posted by Fon Duc Tow View Post
    The real reason for the terrible homestand is that the Reds are just average. They have squeaked out a number of one-run games, and have had more calls go their way than not.

Sure, every once in a while, the low rollers will win against the high rollers. But for the most part, the big boys whip up on the little guys.

The Reds are better this year than we have seen in a while. They might win 85 games. Which, for this market and this payroll, is quite a feat.

...but the only reason we are tied for first is because the Cards are struggling. Really, we should be 3 or 4 games back with our record.

It is nice to still have a reason to cheer for the playoffs at this point. But the Reds are a paper tiger. And they don't have the payroll (depth) to be anything other.
    couldn't have said it any better myself

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

The Reds pitching has a chance to get well in a hurry. They are facing two below average offenses in Seattle and Oakland. Oakland is scoring around 4 runs a game and Seattle just around 3 and a half. And these teams use the DH. I see a ton of close, low-scoring games. Rhodes and Cordero are rested and ready. I see dead people. No, wait. I see four wins, at least.

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fon Duc Tow View Post

The Reds have a number of players on the DL and in the minors that can contribute in the second half while adding very little payroll. Bray, Burton, Volquez, Hanigan, Dickerson, Chapman, Wood, Maloney, Sutton, Valaika. Certainly not all will contribute, but you figure a few of them will.

Turn Off Ads?