Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 6/17- Reds vs. Dodgers "Thursday Matinee" (WLW)

Blowing away bad memories Redsfan320's Avatar

6/17- Reds vs. Dodgers "Thursday Matinee" (WLW)

I'll take the plunge, and take it upon myself to break the Reds losing streak. Pretty sure I haven't started a GT since Leake's debut.

Gotta avoid the sweep here. Let's hope Arroyo can get back on track.

Lineup from Fay:

Cabrera 6
    Phillips 4
    Votto 3
    Rolen 5
    Gomes 7
    Bruce 9
    Stubbs 8
    Miller 2
    Arroyo 1

vs. Jon Ely (3-3, 3.38) (formerly of Miami University)

Dibs on PBP, at least to start out. Due to the fact that the TV is in a different room than my computer, I haven't been able to participate in GTs much. But I do have a radio in my room. I haven't done PBP since ST.

Last edited by Redsfan320; 06-17-2010 at 10:14 AM.
    I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 6/17- Reds vs. Dodgers "Thursday Matinee" (WLW)

Actually, I started one for last month's day game against the Brewers (remember that one- Rolen PH HR to tie in the 9th, JV walkoff 1B in 10th- good times), but you get the point.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Looks like Dusty realizes the importance of today's game. Today would be a perfect day to rest some of the regulars with a day game coming off a night game with a cross country flight to catch after the game.

This team needs a win pretty bad today.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Well, I just read a little good news regarding todays game. Furcal has been placed on the bereavement list so he'll be out of todays lineup.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

Well, I just read a little good news regarding todays game. Furcal has been placed on the bereavement list so he'll be out of todays lineup.
    Good for us. Not for him.

Anyone know anything about this Dodger pitcher? I'll be honest,I have never heard of him.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

If you're going to keep up with my PBP, I'd advise you to learn scoring notation, if you don't know it yet.

Here's a brief tutorial:

First, every position has number:
    1- P
    2- C
    3- 1B
    4- 2B
    5- 3B*
    6- SS*
    7- LF
    8- CF
    9- RF
    * 3B comes before SS because in the early days of baseball, the SS was considered part of the outfield

First, before we review plays where an out is made, some common ways a batter can get on base, and the abbreviations for them:

1B- Single
    2B- Double
    3B- Triple
    HR- Homer
    GS- Grand Slam ( not entirely neccesary, but oh well)
    BB- Walk (Base on Balls, Chris Welsh once explained why "W" isn't used, but I can't remember why)
    IBB- Intentional walk (Intentional base on balls- see above)
    E#- Error, for example E5 would mean the batter reached on an error by the 3B
    FC- fielder's choice, this would also include what play was made at another base, which will be explained later
    K2- as you probably know, K is a strikeout, so this is a dropped 3rd strike, on which the batter reaches 1st.

Now, for outs:

Ground outs or recorded in the order that players touched them, ending with the last out recorded on the play. So, some typical infield ground-outs, considering that no plays are made on any other runners:

4-3: 2nd-1st
    6-3: SS- 1st
    5-3: 3rd-1st
    1-3: P-1st
    2-3: C- 1st
    3-1: 1st- the covering P
    3U: 1B takes it and taps the bag (U for unassisted)
    While we're here, I'll also add:
    K2-3: The catcher drops the 3rd strike, but throws the batter out at 1st

Fly/Pop outs are quite simple. Some people use "F" before the number to indicate it was a fly-out, but I just use the number. So if you only see one number, assume it was a fly,pop,or line-out to that fielder:

7- Fly-out to LF
    4- Pop-out to 2nd (it's a pop-out because it's an IF)

Foul-outs are recored with an "Fo" before the number:

Fo9- RF makes the catch in foul territory

Catching on?

Also, an infield fly would be:

IF#- Since the infield fly rule is to be called (with the other qualifications, obviously) when an infielder is determined by an umpire to be able to catch the ball with "reasonable effort", there is a specific fielder that should be put down, (usually whoever reaches up and catches the ball after the rule is called)

On the basepaths:

SB#- Stolen base, along with the base they stole (2,3,H) (Not sure if you can steal 1st from 2nd, I have read some instances of that happening, but I digress)
    CS 2-#- Caught stealing along with what fielders made the play (basically always will be the catcher making the throw)

FC(the number of the position the batter is), #-# (the base it happened at): an example that could happen in today's game is needed here:
    Let's say BP gets on 1st with 2 out. Now, Votto grounds to 2nd. Since BP is lazily jogging toward 2nd (LOL), DeWitt decides it's an easier out there than at 1st, so he flips it to whatever substitute SS (turns out it's Jamey Carrol) is there while Furcal's on the BL. So, since Votto's the first baseman, the play is from 2nd to SS, and the play is at 2nd, it would be: FC3 4-6(2). Almost definitely not correct, but that's how I do it.

Some others:
    SF- Sac fly
    SB(easy to differentiate between stolen base, because of context)- Sac bunt

This should cover the basics! BTW, this could be archived somewhere as a scoring tutorial

HOPE YOU ENJOYED THE TUTORIAL!!!!! (This has to be the longest post I've ever made)

Last edited by Redsfan320; 06-17-2010 at 11:29 AM.

Here's the Dodgers lineup. Looks like they are playing their B team. The Reds better take advantage of this and win today.

LA Dodgers
    AB R H RBI HR BB K SB LOB Season Avg
    B. DeWitt 2b 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .266
    M. Kemp cf 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .267
    A. Ethier rf 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .346
    J. Loney 1b 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .306
    C. Blake 3b 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .264
    G. Anderson lf 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .172
    A.J. Ellis c 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .226
    J. Carroll ss 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .288
    J. Ely p 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .062
    Totals 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Rolen only played in about half of the game last night. I don't blame the Reds for letting him play today especially since he may want to get another chance to kick some Dodger behind after last night's debacle. Doesn't the annoying Mr. Wendelstatt now have to manage third base in the umpire rotation? Hehe, that could be fun today.
    Last edited by HeatherC1212; 06-17-2010 at 11:46 AM.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Anyone know anything about this Dodger pitcher? I'll be honest,I have never heard of him.
    Could be related to Tarzan?
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Man, I hope the players are as excited about the game as Redsfan320 is about doing the PBP.

As someone stuck at work who finds that the updates from Redszone often come faster than ESPN.Com I appreciate it.
    When people say that I don’t know what I’m talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

Man, I hope the players are as excited about the game as Redsfan320 is about doing the PBP.
    LOL. It's been a while.

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Could be related to Tarzan?
    Hope not. I'm hoping he pitches more like Jane.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Hope not. I'm hoping he pitches more like Jane.
    The young ones here don't remember this guy (Ron Ely)

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    As someone stuck at work who finds that the updates from Redszone often come faster than ESPN.Com I appreciate it.
    He's young, he'll get bored doing PBP and give it up after a few innings.

Turn Off Ads?