Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MLB.tv

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

MLB.tv

Worst service ever.

How can an entire site that is devoted to broadcasting major league games be out of service so much? 1 in 3 games I get the notice "This game is temporarily unavailable, Please try again in a few moments."

Seriously, people get paid to maintain this and are horrible at their job. I live in Korea so I have no other option, but wow. This is a ridiculously bad website.

boo

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: MLB.tv

Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22 View Post
    Worst service ever.

How can an entire site that is devoted to broadcasting major league games be out of service so much? 1 in 3 games I get the notice "This game is temporarily unavailable, Please try again in a few moments."

Seriously, people get paid to maintain this and are horrible at their job. I live in Korea so I have no other option, but wow. This is a ridiculously bad website.

boo
    I get that error now and again, but not as often as that. My issue, although I still love the service, is that despite a pretty solid broadband connection, I get a jerky stream (though the quality of the picture is otherwise good) -- especially in HD.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

This is the time all year I've had an issue and I use it every day.
    School's out. What did you expect?

My stream and picture are usually good, without being jerky, even over wireless.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Yeah it's pretty bad. Definitely not worth the near $100 that they charge. My friend got it for $19.99 for the year and gave me his log in and password so I just use it all the time.

Best service on there is actually MLB.com Gameday. It is really great.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

I disagree completely. Totally worth the $100.

I can listen to and watch games on my iphone wherever I am at and can also watch on my computer wherever I am at and can hook the computer up to the tv if I want.

I thinking it's great.

In theory the service is great... In actuality it rarely works live. I even have trouble watching the archived games. Today is a prime example for me. I'm reading the game on the game thread and on espn.com. Monopolies are bad

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I disagree completely. Totally worth the $100.

I can listen to and watch games on my iphone wherever I am at and can also watch on my computer wherever I am at and can hook the computer up to the tv if I want.

I thinking it's great.
    I like the Radio, and even though it's on delay its nice to have at the gym.

If you're gonna watch a game 'live' it can't be the Reds b/c they're blacked out. I guess if you're out of state it's nice, but you better have a charger nearby or you'll see about four innings and the iPhone will die.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Streaming video like MLB.TV is thoroughly dependent on the quality of your connection. If your ISP provides inconsistent bandwidth or if you have lots of competition for your bandwidth either in your neighborhood (cable modem service shares bandwidth across multiple subscribers) or on your own network, you'll get hiccups and glitches in the MLB.TV stream.

In other words, it's probably not MLB.TV's fault, it's your ISP's fault.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    I like the Radio, and even though it's on delay its nice to have at the gym.

If you're gonna watch a game 'live' it can't be the Reds b/c they're blacked out. I guess if you're out of state it's nice, but you better have a charger nearby or you'll see about four innings and the iPhone will die.
    I am out of state, plus if your a baseball fan, not just a reds fan, there are hundreds of other games to listen too. True about the iphone battery though. Honestly, I don't watch whole games on the phone, much, only a few times when I was in a hotel.

It's really your cable/internet provider as often as it is MLB. Live HD video is extremely bandwidth intensive and lag sensitive.

Some ISPs dynamically throttle bandwidth to discourage heavy users. I'm not sure if there's anything you can do about it, but it might be worth a call.

I watch it both on my computer and through my PS3, and the internet feed is almost always better than the cable feed, for whatever that's worth.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    In other words, it's probably not MLB.TV's fault, it's your ISP's fault.
    I live in a land where fiber optics is the norm. It's very much mlb's fault. The entire infrastructure here changes as technology evolves. The service is poor to trash.

I live in a land where fiber optics is the norm. It's very much mlb's fault. The entire infrastructure here changes as technology evolves. The service is poor to trash.
    sorry it's not working for you well. I think it's generally fabulous and have little to no problems.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

In your case, the MLB packets travel across the ocean through thousands of miles of infrastructure that MLB has zero control over. Edge servers would be a solution, but I doubt that MLB is particularly interested in spending millions to put edge servers in Asia to serve what is probably no more than a few thousand streaming users there. The profit doesn't justify the investment.
    /r/reds

Haunted by walks

It works fine for me on an iPad on home broadband, although it stutters a couple of times in the late innings. The live video doesn't last very long when I'm trying to use a 3g signal. It's amazing how far we've come since I was a kid with a transister radio and a dying battery trying to get the game in southeastern Ohio.

Turn Off Ads?