Turn Off Ads?

Thread: WLW delay

WLW delay

I made it to GABP last weekend for the first time in a couple years, and I noticed the radio broadcast was a good 5 seconds or so behind the action. I don't remember it being delayed like that in previous visits (but then again, I'm getting old so maybe my memory is fuzzy). Did they finally put Marty on delay in case he says something naughty, or is there some other reason? It was really bizarra to try to listen to the game like that.

Anyone have a clue why the change occurred?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: WLW delay

Quote Originally Posted by GoBarryGo View Post
    I made it to GABP last weekend for the first time in a couple years, and I noticed the radio broadcast was a good 5 seconds or so behind the action. I don't remember it being delayed like that in previous visits (but then again, I'm getting old so maybe my memory is fuzzy). Did they finally put Marty on delay in case he says something naughty, or is there some other reason? It was really bizarra to try to listen to the game like that.

Anyone have a clue why the change occurred?
    Marty is tired of hving Jim Kelch up in the booth so often. He has gone off on him at least two or three times this season. Shortly after his first outburst the delay was put in place.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I had something really strange happen the other night. I stopped for gas, and was filling up my tank, and left the car battery on and the radio. I was listening to the game on WLW. But the strange thing was..........the gas station had the game on their speakers near all the gas tanks, too.

I always knew the radio had a delay. But what was coming across the gas station speakers had close to a 10 or more second delay than what was coming across my radio in my Pilot.

Weird. Can anyone come close to explaining that one?
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

'19 '40 '75 '76 '90

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I had something really strange happen the other night. I stopped for gas, and was filling up my tank, and left the car battery on and the radio. I was listening to the game on WLW. But the strange thing was..........the gas station had the game on their speakers near all the gas tanks, too.

I always knew the radio had a delay. But what was coming across the gas station speakers had close to a 10 or more second delay than what was coming across my radio in my Pilot.

Maybe the gas station, or you even you, have a satellite radio? Or, maybe the gas station streams a channel off of the internet that plays the game, possibly on another affiliate?

Quote Originally Posted by Reds View Post
    Maybe the gas station, or you even you, have a satellite radio? Or, maybe the gas station streams a channel off of the internet that plays the game, possibly on another affiliate?
    Possibly. But it was our broadcasters. But you might be right about satellite.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

Quote Originally Posted by bshall2105 View Post
    Marty is tired of hving Jim Kelch up in the booth so often. He has gone off on him at least two or three times this season. Shortly after his first outburst the delay was put in place.
    ??? Do you have a source. I can't believe this is true.

huh ?
    "...kicks and deals, and it's right down Broadway"
    2009 Attendance Record 1-2
    2010 Attendance Record 3-1
    2011 Attendance Record 2-0
    2012 Attendance Record 6-2

Check out this thread - it should explain more about why it is happening.

http://boards.radio-info.com/smf/ind...topic=165974.0

There was also an Enquirer blog written following opening day:
    http://cincinnati.com/blogs/tv/2010/...on-reds-radio/

He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar

That is some imagination you have there. Would be fascinating if it was actually true. The delay has been there from opening day. Unlike you, I have proof.

Why The New Annoying Delay On Reds Radio/

I wouldnt like it if I was listening at GABP, but at home I like it because it allows me to pause the DVR and sync up the radio and turn down the sound on the TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post

By any chance was this gas station anywhere near Dayton? WONE in Dayton has an even longer delay, 10-15 seconds behind WLW.

Quote Originally Posted by HalMorrisRules View Post
    By any chance was this gas station anywhere near Dayton? WONE in Dayton has an even longer delay, 10-15 seconds behind WLW.
    because they have someone there incase someone decides to drop an f-bomb accidently or GD so the station won't get an fcc fine if something like that hits the air. You gotta remember, there are fans close by the booth that yell obsenitys that could cost WLW alot of money. Alot of it has to do with the whole Janet Jackson effect on a smaller scale.

Quote Originally Posted by HalMorrisRules View Post
    I think it was more like 15 seconds.

It was the Shell Station in Sharonville, just off I-275 on RT. 42 to the south of I-275.

Good thread. My friends and have made comments about this during the year and couldnt figure it out.

I haven't noticed that yet but it's good to know.

Now that George Grande is out of the booth I'm not as pressured to mute the TV and synch it with Marty.

Quote Originally Posted by arkimadee View Post
    because they have someone there incase someone decides to drop an f-bomb accidently or GD so the station won't get an fcc fine if something like that hits the air. You gotta remember, there are fans close by the booth that yell obsenitys that could cost WLW alot of money. Alot of it has to do with the whole Janet Jackson effect on a smaller scale.
    Unless someone contacts the FCC, they would never know about it. The FCC doesnt have someone listening to every minute of every station so they rely upon listeners to report incidents. I'm trying to remember if they act upon a single complaint or if they need to have a certain amount before they investigate. I used to work in radio and, I wouldnt be surprised if it is recorded digitally know, but we had a special reel to reel machine that had big reels that lasted about a week that recorded everything that went out over the air. If there was a complaint, we could pull that week's tape and turn it over to them.

While this didnt happen to me, I was in the building when we were playing our Thursday night concert CD. That particular week was an Ozzy concert that our music director didnt listen to it before airing it and it was filled with expletives. No one called to complain and the FCC never came calling. Most classic rock listeners didnt mind I guess.

Turn Off Ads?