Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 49

Thread: Janish should ask for release

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,666

    Janish should ask for release

    If I was Paul Janish I would go to Walt and ask for my release. I have a great glove, can play multiple positions and while not great at the plate, I am serviceable and yet I can't smell any playing time with the Reds even with this happening:

    ""Shortstop Orlando Cabrera said after Thursday’s game he has been dealt with a sprained ankle since early June, when the Reds visited Washington.

    “Every day it’s a struggle, but I can still play,” Cabrera said."

    Why not rest him and give Janish some playing time? It's not like Cabrera is hitting the cover off the ball.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Northeast KY
    Posts
    873

    Re: Janish should ask for release

    I don't see the big deal about Janish. Who cares how much playing time he gets. His defense is great, his batting is subpar. It's not like you see Cabrera making alot of miscues in the field. I think Janish should get to play more but I don't really care either way. In my opinion we are a much better team with a sprained Cabrera than a healthy Janish in the lineup. Can't complain about the result of being in first place.

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: Janish should ask for release

    Quote Originally Posted by arkimadee View Post
    I don't see the big deal about Janish. Who cares how much playing time he gets. His defense is great, his batting is subpar. It's not like you see Cabrera making alot of miscues in the field. I think Janish should get to play more but I don't really care either way. In my opinion we are a much better team with a sprained Cabrera than a healthy Janish in the lineup. Can't complain about the result of being in first place.
    Cabrera's bat isnt exactly amazing either. .255/.294/.351. Janish might not have as good of a bat as Cabrera but its hard to be much worse.

    I think Janish on the field is a more valuable guy, but maybe in the club house Cabrera brings a little more. I dont care which one plays that much but over the course of the season I wouldnt be surprised if Janish is a more valuable player.

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    1,147

    Re: Janish should ask for release

    Quit whining about janish's playing time. Sheesh. He's a back-up player on a winning team.

    He would be lucky to start for any team out there right now. Im sure hes perfectly fine with where he is at. If cabrera gets injured we have a good SS to back him up. Thats the point of keeping janish.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,666

    Re: Janish should ask for release

    Sorry but for Dusty to continually run Orlando out there when he is hurt and thus hurting the team is not sound managing. Anyone who is 'okay' with that baffles me. The objective is to put the best 8 players on the field on a daily basis, and right now, with Orlando not producing at the plate, his liability in the field is costing this team games. Go with the better defender until Orlando is 100% and can cover his poor fielding with a decent to good bat.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,014

    Re: Janish should ask for release

    Quote Originally Posted by bgwilly31 View Post
    Quit whining about janish's playing time. Sheesh. He's a back-up player on a winning team.

    He would be lucky to start for any team out there right now. Im sure hes perfectly fine with where he is at. If cabrera gets injured we have a good SS to back him up. Thats the point of keeping janish.


    thats the complaint...and a viable one at that. if Janish is the backup, then we all think that the starter should at least be heads above the backup....and OC is not....I see balls go through the 5-6 hole every night that I think should be caught. If OC is going to continue to slap the AVG around .250 then I see no reason why Janish is not out there given his better glove......if OC hits .280 then I see the point, but that is not happening and OC is hurt.....

    no one is saying that Paul janish is the next comming of Derek Jeter, but geesh, what does he have to do to get in the lineup for a week straight?

    Hey if we are winning, then I am all for what works...but when things start going south is when us fans get to pick apart the team and act like we know more than Dusty.....and I am convinced some on this site truly know more than Dusty.....keep winning and we are all good

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,006

    Re: Janish should ask for release

    I'd rather Janish start. At least equal bat and loads better on the defensive equation.

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,666

    Re: Janish should ask for release

    The sad thing about this is, janish is a good player, who has done nothing wrong and doesn't deserve to be the bat boy on this team. Also, Dusty's refusal to give him or Chris H playing time means this team is playing with a roster basically of 23 players while other teams have 25. I would love for one of the Reds beat writers to confront Dusty on this and force him to come out and say he hates Janish and other bench players and if allowed would only play starters, because if you look at his history he is that way.

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    1,147

    Re: Janish should ask for release

    Quote Originally Posted by lidspinner View Post
    thats the complaint...and a viable one at that. if Janish is the backup, then we all think that the starter should at least be heads above the backup....and OC is not....I see balls go through the 5-6 hole every night that I think should be caught. If OC is going to continue to slap the AVG around .250 then I see no reason why Janish is not out there given his better glove......if OC hits .280 then I see the point, but that is not happening and OC is hurt.....

    no one is saying that Paul janish is the next comming of Derek Jeter, but geesh, what does he have to do to get in the lineup for a week straight?

    Hey if we are winning, then I am all for what works...but when things start going south is when us fans get to pick apart the team and act like we know more than Dusty.....and I am convinced some on this site truly know more than Dusty.....keep winning and we are all good

    OC is in a slight slump. The only way you get out of it is to keep on hitting.

    So should we sit votto when he is way in a slump over the past week or so>? I think his avg. dropped 30 points.

    Janish has shown he's a .250 or worse hitter. OC has a career avg of around .300.

    OC will come around and his glove is not as bad everybody makes it out to be. he's proven that and some people that were calling him washed up in the beginning of the year are still trying to harp on that. Just to save their prediction.

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,666

    Re: Janish should ask for release

    No OC is in a slump because he is not 100%. Have you ever had a sprained ankle? What cures a sprained ankle? Rest, not continue use of it. So intestead we continue to put him out there, the ankle continues to be an issue and his 'slump' continues and we continue to struggle at the leadoff spot and defensivly on the left side of the field. Boy now if that's not smark baseball I don't know what is.

    No his glove isn't the issue, it's his range, and wow he is playing the position that requires the most range in the infield and he is already OLD and now he is OLD and Injuried...yep good baseball there...:thumbdown

    FDN

    Quote Originally Posted by bgwilly31 View Post
    OC is in a slight slump. The only way you get out of it is to keep on hitting.

    So should we sit votto when he is way in a slump over the past week or so>? I think his avg. dropped 30 points.

    Janish has shown he's a .250 or worse hitter. OC has a career avg of around .300.

    OC will come around and his glove is not as bad everybody makes it out to be. he's proven that and some people that were calling him washed up in the beginning of the year are still trying to harp on that. Just to save their prediction.

  12. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    246

    Re: Janish should ask for release

    Janish starts for MAYBE 3 major league teams...

  13. #12
    Member BigPoppa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Murfreesboro, Tennessee
    Posts
    448

    Re: Janish should ask for release

    I think after the ASB, we'll see Janish get some more starts to spell Rolen and OCab
    "...kicks and deals, and it's right down Broadway"
    2009 Attendance Record 1-2
    2010 Attendance Record 3-1
    2011 Attendance Record 2-0
    2012 Attendance Record 6-2

  14. #13
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    7,067

    Re: Janish should ask for release

    I think OCab's batting average is dropping because of his hurt ankle. Agree that if he's going to bat .250 instead of .280, that it's no offensive loss to play Janish over OCab. But the defensive improvement is SUBSTANTIAL. Janish makes plays that make me believe he may be the best defensive SS in MLB right now. If he has a miscue in the field, I chalk it up to not playing enough and being rusty. But more often than not he impresses me on the defensive end.

    No reason Janish shouldn't start for 2 or 3 or maybe even a week to give OCab a chance to get healthy.

    Frankly, I'm shocked that people on this board are siding with keeping OCab playing while he's hurt. That's just stupid, stupid managing right there. Add that to the long list of Dusty's dumb moves.

    And recapping, OCab's batting average has dropped from around .280 to .250 while hurt. Remember that before commenting any further.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

    "Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

  15. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    mason
    Posts
    749

    Re: Janish should ask for release

    I heard Janish will replace Leake in the rotation in late August.

  16. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,666

    Re: Janish should ask for release

    There is zero logical or baseball sense in why you would play a player who has stated he is in pain and the pain is an ankle and range and motion is HUGE in the position he plays and the ability to be productive at the plate. No one is saying remove OC for the remainder of the season and never play him again, what is being said is sit him till he is healthy, then put him back in. If Mike Leake said hey my arm hurts when I throw, would everyone here say, "Suck it up, keep pitching and don't worry about the pain".


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25