Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: John Erardi article: When will Reds shut down Mike Leake?

Re: John Erardi article: When will Reds shut down Mike Leake?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    The Reds must take care of their young arms.

It would be inexcusable to risk Leaks future for the chance at a few more wins this season.
    Yep. I like what the Yankees are doing with Hughes. As stated above they're skipping him now and will skip him again right before the all star break. I hope the Reds follow something similar to that.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I was thinking about this reading the paper this morning, but I wonder if it might not work to Leake and Volquez into a bit of a tandem as starters, flip-flopping their starts with the other doing a relief stint in between. Structurally I don't know what that looks like or if it's plausible, for that matter, but it's just a thought.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I was thinking about this reading the paper this morning, but I wonder if it might not work to Leake and Volquez into a bit of a tandem as starters, flip-flopping their starts with the other doing a relief stint in between. Structurally I don't know what that looks like or if it's plausible, for that matter, but it's just a thought.
    An interesting thought at that. I like the idea much better than simply pulling the plug.

From Mark Sheldon:

*Mike Leake is being pushed back from his next turn in the rotation and will not pitch in the Cleveland series. Leake will start on June 29 vs. the Phillies. Aaron Harang, Sam LeCure and Bronson Arroyo will start the next three games vs. the Indians.

http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/archi...e_--_news.html

edit - nm.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 06-23-2010 at 02:24 PM.

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    From Mark Sheldon:

*Mike Leake is being pushed back from his next turn in the rotation and will not pitch in the Cleveland series. Leake will start on June 29 vs. the Phillies. Aaron Harang, Sam LeCure and Bronson Arroyo will start the next three games vs. the Indians.

I don't like that move. The Phillies are a much tougher matchup. I'd rather Leake start vs the Indians and then skip the Phillies.

Can't do it in the Phillies series unless you short the rest of the pitching staff on rest. The day off tomorrow makes it possible. Has to be Cleveland.

My bad. I was thinking the Reds had a day off after the Philly series. I forgot they start a four game series in Chicago after the Phillies leave town.

From John Fay:

–Mike Leake will be skipped for Cleveland series. Leake is on pace to pitch 200 innings this season. The Reds don’t want him to pitch nearly that many. “We have a round number,” Walt Jocketty said. “Probably 170, but it’s not etched in stone.”
    http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...Njy3OMBlWiM%3D

From Mark Sheldon:

Makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I'd like to skip Leake next chance we get (based on off days)
    Thats what I'm talking about!

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

That sounds like a good plan to me. Anything to help Mike get through the whole season without wearing him out.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

From Mark Sheldon:

edit - nm.
    Will he be available to PH/PR?
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

If this has anything to do with the Harang/LeCure swap, meaning I have to watch Harang again tomorrow when I go (got stuck with him at the last game I went to), then I'm TICKED.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    If this has anything to do with the Harang/LeCure swap, meaning I have to watch Harang again tomorrow when I go (got stuck with him at the last game I went to), then I'm TICKED.

I think tomorrow night was always supposed to be Aaron's turn in the rotation just looking at the days between starts. I think TPTB said they were going to try and give some of the younger guys a day or two between starts when they can during the season and with the off day tomorrow, they can give LeCure an extra rest day along with the two extra days they're giving Mike Leake. It's not a bad idea for those guys but I understand being bummed about the slight change in the rotation.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Nice to see them taking care of the young man.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Will he be available to PH/PR?
    Made me smile. Thanks.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Turn Off Ads?