Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Volquez to Make Season Debut July 7th vs. Mets

Volquez to Make Season Debut July 7th vs. Mets

Barring any setbacks, of course. Figured this deserved it's own thread:

johnfayman Pencil Volquez in for July 7 vs. Mets. "That's what I got, barring setbacks," Baker said. #reds
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: Volquez to Make Season Debut July 7th vs. Mets

Batsfan just posted this in tonight's minor league game thread:

Edinson Volquez is in Louisville and is expected to start Tuesday vs. Toledo, according to the bats announcer Matt Andrews.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=19

Smacks of desperation. Way too soon.

getting a Jose Rijo vibe.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Smacks of desperation. Way too soon.

getting a Jose Rijo vibe.
    Based on what information?

Do you honestly think the Reds would let him pitch if they thought it would jeopordize his career?
    School's out. What did you expect?

I don't like it.

My guess is they want to see if he can be reliable before the trade deadline, before deciding whether or not they'll need to pay up (both in prospects and money) for another starter via trade.

Unfortunately, if he remains healthy and effective, Volquez will only replace Leake's spot. The Reds still need a TOR arm if they are to do anything substantial.
    Go BLUE!!!

No matter which way the Reds and Volquez went at this time, I am going to have some insecure feelings, because I want them both to do, really very well and worry if he will be alright.

Just like anyone, I hope this isn’t rushing him.

3 Starts at AAA, his Start on the 7th and then the All Star Break where he can get some extra rest before going again. I don't really think this is rushing him all that much. The original plan had him going 4 more starts in the minors and then his rehab time would have run out and brought him up anyway. Get him that last start in the majors instead of AAA and then give him an extra day or two. No big deal IMO.

Its more about how he'll be used afterwards and I don't think coming up and getting this one start before the break will change that.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Someone do the math and figure out what starter would have been going then....

Take a guess... the Leakester.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    If I'm doing it right, then July 7th would fall on Mike Leake's start.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Based on what information?

Do you honestly think the Reds would let him pitch if they thought it would jeopordize his career?
    you get the word "vibe" right? it FEELS too soon. I have zero information. I do have the benefit (same as the Reds) of history. I don't need to even look that far back, just look to Liriano's 2009 season.

JMO, but it is too soon.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

From John Fay's blog:

That could be the result of better mechanics. Volquez came to Cincinnati before beginning the rehab assignment, so pitching coach Bryan Price could check his mechanics.

“We wanted to make sure his mechanics were right,” Baker said. “Some guys come back better and stronger after they’re hurt . . . Guys get more mechanically sound because they learn how to throw more correctly.

“We saw Volquez before when he was flailing arms and legs. He’s probably more under control and more sound.”

Volquez will start when he returns.

“That’s what best for him in the long run,” Baker said. “We’ve got a decision to make when it happens. Those are good decisions to make. When he comes back that’s like making a trade for an All-Star, which he was, through a non-trade.”
    http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...ack-on-july-7/

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    If the Reds don't skip anyone's start because of the off day on the 24th, it's due to be Leake's day to start. If they skip LeCure to keep Harang and the rest of the rotation on a regular schedule, it's Arroyo's day to start.

I don't like that they've already set his MLB debut. That just seems like an enormous amount of unnecessary pressure. Why not see how he does in Louisville a couple times first before announcing his debut?

Turn Off Ads?