Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds blog calls Yonder Alonso a bust?

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Reds blog calls Yonder Alonso a bust?

Well, they do couch it that he has time to turn it around, but his numbers combined at AA/AAA this year have been less-than-impressive:

http://www.threewaychili.com/

No way you can call him a bust yet IMO but I think everyone is a bit concerned about him.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds blog calls Yonder Alonso a bust?

Yeah and Gordon Beckham is with the White Sox producing a line that would put Willy Taveras to shame. They're young players and it's too soon to tell.

I know some people with Reds blogs who are complete fools. Why should I care what this one has to say?

That being said there are people who consider players bust the moment they get drafted, consider them bust if someone else taken after them ends up being better or at the major league level quicker, or bust until they put on a major league uniform and get voted into the hall.

Bust is such a stupid term because everyone has differerent definitions for it.

My question has never been whether he can hit, but whether he can hit for sufficient power to play 1B. At this point it remains an open question. Can anyone comment on the length of time typically needed to recover power after a hamate injury?

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    My question has never been whether he can hit, but whether he can hit for sufficient power to play 1B. At this point it remains an open question. Can anyone comment on the length of time typically needed to recover power after a hamate injury?
    Typically a year from healing. In his case, August.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Well, they do couch it that he has time to turn it around, but his numbers combined at AA/AAA this year have been less-than-impressive:

http://www.threewaychili.com/

No way you can call him a bust yet IMO but I think everyone is a bit concerned about him.
    Considering the site says that the author is a sports journalist I'm not impressed. At least based off of that one piece. There are alot of people in the media that love to rush to judgement on things. He just doesn't sound any different.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

I've seen Yonder play quite a bit. To hint that he may be a bust is garbage.

Agree that it's too soon for this, but I'd like to see him continue to hit the way he has in the past week or two and get that OPS over .800 by the end of the year. Hammate be damned.
    Go BLUE!!!

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Considering the site says that the author is a sports journalist I'm not impressed. At least based off of that one piece. There are alot of people in the media that love to rush to judgement on things. He just doesn't sound any different.
    Dave Biddle is a journalist with Bucknuts.com and is a solid guy but I think he clearly has less insight into baseball than football. Not to suggest his opinion is wrong (although I do think so) but he clearly doesn't see the whole picture based on his argument IMO.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I knew there was a reason why I've never read that blog.

Quote Originally Posted by muddie View Post
    I've seen Yonder play quite a bit. To hint that he may be a bust is garbage.
    I too have seen him more than a few times and I have even talked(typed) with Kingspoint about Yonder....I just dont see his upside...but to call him a bust is pure hogwash.....the guy is doing just fine. He hardly ever looks foolish at the plate as most 2-3 year guys do....he hardly ever does not hit backside when the situation calls for it...he is not afraid to sac a runner over.....the guy is a trooper and I really do think he will be in a Reds uniform at some point...I just think it will take him a few more years to get here....Might not be what we all want for a 1st rounder but once the Reds draft a player,he is the same as every other player that wears that uni, I dont care about where he was drafted...I look at him as a Red, not as a former 1st rounder. so with that said, he is not a bust, not even close.

Blowing away bad memories Redsfan320's Avatar

Speaking of Beckham's line, I'll post it here just for the humor or it:

.205/.277/.259/.536

Good Lord.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Which is worse?

.205/.277/.259/.536 against major league pitchers

or

.236/.288/.338/.626 against AAA pitchers

But really, does it matter which is worse?

Alonso has had a rough time development wise. He was hampered by the injury to his hamate bone, which should see him just now getting his power back. He's had to deal with a new position, LF at AA only to see him now making the bulk of his starts at 1B due to the injury to Dorn. Since signing at the end of 2008 he's barely gotten a season's worth of PA's in his professional career. Take this years numbers as development only. Next year is what matters. He's not going to be a Red out of ST next year. Personally I'm going to start looking at his stats starting July1. He should be healthy by then.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting The Voice of IH's Avatar

Joke is on us....it has us talking about their blog (which I never heard of until today)
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

Turn Off Ads?