Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chicago getaway ??

Re: Chicago getaway ??

Quote Originally Posted by BigPoppa View Post
    Me and the Missus were kicking around the idea of a quick 2 or 3 day trip to Chicago just before the 4th. We've never been to Chicago, other than flying into and out of O'Hare. Here's my questions......

1) The cornerstone of our trip is to catch a couple of the Reds games while they are at Wrigley. I know the Cubs' fan reputation, but will we really have any problems while there wearing our Reds apparel ?

I've never had any problems wearing Reds cap and t-shirt. However, I would avoid the bleachers.

and

2) Other than Navy Pier and the Sears (used to be) Tower, what else falls into the "While you're in town, do not miss ____________________" category ?

Navy Pier is very "touristy". Others have said this already, but Millenium Park is a must. Since you'll be in town just prior to the 4th, get to Grant Park for the Taste of Chicago. It will be crowded, but it's still a great place to walk around, get a few small samples of local food, and people watch. Walk off the calories along the lakefront. If you like popcorn, get over to Garretts. Architectural tours along the river are great. Lincoln Park zoo is not as nice as Brookfield, but admission is free and is right off the lake if you want to head out to the beach for a bit. View from Hancock building is better than Willis Tower, but I haven't had a chance to go out on the new glass skydeck yet, which seems pretty cool.

and

3) Hotel recommendations ? Near Wrigley if possible.

Can't help you with near Wrigley, but Hyatt on Wacker and Intercontinental on Michigan Ave are both nice.

Last edited by Red in Chicago; 06-20-2010 at 02:13 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Last summer, the Art Institute was free after 5pm on Thursday evening. And they had outdoor movies in the park ... on Tuesdays I think?. I saw Psycho on a trip last August with thousands of others who were lounging around on blankets passing around hummus and crackers and drinking wine. It was fun. Those are things to think about, if you're there on those days.

Millenium Park is wonderful to walk thru, too. The bean is cool, and so is the fountain with the faces. Watching the kids play in the water was fun.

I took the architectural river tour, too. Very intersting.

I love Chicago.

I'll second the recommendation of the Hyatt Regency on Wacker. The last time I visited Chicago I booked my room through Priceline and ended up getting a room at the Hyatt Regency for $62 per night, after taxes. The room was very nice and the hotel was nicely situated between the Millenium Park area and the magnificent mile. My only complaint was the fact that the hotel charged $50 per night for parking but we ended up parking at Navy Pier for $24 per night and taking a cab to and from the hotel.

In terms of attractions, I'd highly recommend the Museum of Science and Industry.

Turn Off Ads?