Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chicago getaway ??

Re: A Day in Chicago [go Blackhawks]

Thanks for all the suggestions on food and places to go folks. I'll let you all know how it all went and hopefully celebrate a Hawks win.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Is it a good guess there's a celebration going on?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I'll be honest. Last night was the first hockey game I've ever really watched. It's an exciting thing for Chicago, since the Bulls dynasty, and the White Sox fluke of a season a few years ago, the city hasn't had much to cheer about when it comes to their sports teams.

I've never had a better time at a game of any kind save maybe opening day 2005 with the walk of home runs and all. Especially a game in which my team performed as poorly as the Hawks did last night [despite the win]. A lot of dumb penalties, the defensemen couldn't clear a puck to save their lives last night, Niemi was rattled all game.... yet somehow they came out ahead in the end.

As for the city itself, Chicago seems like a good place to go spend some time in which we fully intend to do at some point, but getting out there and being a new place with an electric atmosphere for a play off of any kind is something I hope we are all experiencing here as Reds fans very very soon.

I'll try to get some pictures up here soon, but for now I'll leave any Blackhawks fans with this:
    YouTube - Blackhawks Chelsea Dagger

[would have posted the video, but I thought some might take offense]

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Almost a week after their Stanley Cup victory, I'm not sure people are going to stop wearing their Blackhawks jerseys before next season's opener.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckWild03 View Post
    Almost a week after their Stanley Cup victory, I'm not sure people are going to stop wearing their Blackhawks jerseys before next season's opener.
    It's amazing. I went to the parade last Friday, and it was one of the best "sporting events" I've ever attended and it wasn't even a game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Chicago getaway ??

Me and the Missus were kicking around the idea of a quick 2 or 3 day trip to Chicago just before the 4th. We've never been to Chicago, other than flying into and out of O'Hare. Here's my questions......

1) The cornerstone of our trip is to catch a couple of the Reds games while they are at Wrigley. I know the Cubs' fan reputation, but will we really have any problems while there wearing our Reds apparel ?

and

2) Other than Navy Pier and the Sears (used to be) Tower, what else falls into the "While you're in town, do not miss ____________________" category ?

and

3) Hotel recommendations ? Near Wrigley if possible.
    "...kicks and deals, and it's right down Broadway"

Re: Chicago getaway ??

Quote Originally Posted by BigPoppa View Post
    Me and the Missus were kicking around the idea of a quick 2 or 3 day trip to Chicago just before the 4th. We've never been to Chicago, other than flying into and out of O'Hare. Here's my questions......

1) The cornerstone of our trip is to catch a couple of the Reds games while they are at Wrigley. I know the Cubs' fan reputation, but will we really have any problems while there wearing our Reds apparel ?
    You shouldn't be bothered too much, if at all. Cubs suck, and the fans are much less trash talky when the Cubs suck. If anyone says anything, just say "1908." You'd be amazed how well that works. The bleachers will be worse than regular seats, but I wouldn't sweat it either way.

and

2) Other than Navy Pier and the Sears (used to be) Tower, what else falls into the "While you're in town, do not miss ____________________" category ?
    I'm not sure what falls in the do not miss category, but off the top of my head, get some Chicago Dogs (Portillo's is a great place), or some Italian Beef (Al's Beef), hit up some Wrigleyville bars before the game ($5 for a can a beer, can't beat that price), check out the Chicago Art Museum downtown, see the Bean/Milleneum Park, take the boat architectural tour, ride the 'el, etc.

Restaurants that I love:

Tango Sur (Argentenian steakhouse near Wrigley at the corner of Southport and Irving Park I believe. It's BYOB, pretty affordable steak platters ($25ish), great atmosphere.

Uncle Julio's: Very classy Mexican place near my apt. Awesome environment.

Fogo de Chao - Brazilian steakhouse, awesome.

Half Shell - hole in the wall, dive place that has excellent seafood.

and

I honestly don't know of actual hotels near Wrigley. I know that I used to drive by the Abbott Hotel, which looks like an old time hotel, but I'm not even sure it's open for business anymore. Your best bet is to stay downtown, and take the red line to Addison for the games at Wrigley.

Let us know if you have any more questions.

I know it's been a few years, (over 10) but I am pretty sure the Reds still stay at the Westin. I remember sitting in the lobby as a high school kid, hearing a voice that sounded very familiar...I turned around and it was Joe Nuxhall.

As for hotels near Wrigley, I wouldn't worry about it. Find a hotel either in the city or out in the 'burbs and take the train to the game (and wherever you're going in Chicago). We basically park our car when we visit our daughter and use the El nearly the whole time. Very easy to do and lots of fun, really.

BTW, I'm not advocating staying in the suburbs, I love the city and would definitely look for someplace in town. We just happen to have our neighbor's daughter and son-in-law a mile and a half from our daughter and we crash in their spare bedroom. This 4th will be second time they've headed out of town and we have the place to ourselves (and their parking spot!).
    Last edited by redsmetz; 06-20-2010 at 09:12 AM.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BigPoppa View Post

It won't be a problem unless you're in the bleachers. Cubs fans might not be the brightest fans, but they're usually just out for a good time.

Millenium Park. You can walk it in a few hours, but don't miss the bean, gardens, etc. If you're so inclined, it's right next to the Art Institute, one of the countries best art museums.

Also consider taking the architectural boat tour. It's reasonably priced and gives you a real unique view of the city.

I'd just stay downtown. There's a much bigger selection of hotels there and the Red line will take you to within a block of Wrigley in 15 minutes.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

In the old days, the Museum of Science and Industry was a must

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    In the old days, the Museum of Science and Industry was a must
    Field Museum is a great place to go as well as the Shedd Aquarium.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

As others have mentioned there are several great museums. I would also recommend the view from the Hancock Observatory at the top of the John Hancock Center.

I merged Joseph's thread with this one since they cover as lot of the same ground.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?