Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Car Accident Question

Car Accident Question

I was driving in stop and go traffic on the freeway on Saturday night when I was rear ended by a woman who was texting. Both my fiance and I are ok, but we do both have some lingering neck and back pain that has actually gotten worse since the accident happened. I have filed a claim with my insurance company and am still waiting to hear from the adjuster.

I guess my question is if anybody has been involved in something similar and if I should do anything. Should I go see a doctor or does the pain just go away after a couple days? I don't want to waste a bunch of time if it's just something that gets better.

Thanks in advance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Car Accident Question

I think you should get it checked out, and if it's something that needs further treatment the Insurance Company should be notified right away.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Both my parents have lingering neck/back pain from wrecks in the 60's, I wouldn't wait anything out.

As a guy with persistent back pain, I say don't mess with it, get it looked at.

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

put on a neck collar and sue for everything the texter's got! :

no but seriously, my dad also has the same problem, he was in an accident as a child, and his back is really messed up most likely due to it. go to a doctor, hopefully (and most likely) everything will be alright. But don't test it or put it off.
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

Your fiance and you should both be examined by a doctor. Yes, minor neck and back pain often goes away, but every day you delay being examined could have an adverse effect upon any claim which you or she eventually need to make. Do not wait. Your own insurance may cover the cost of the examination anyway.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Get it checked out. I felt nothing immediately following my accident, likely because I was in shock, and refused to go to the hospital, but later I started having seizures from a head injury. It's better to be safe than sorry, see a doctor.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Ok thanks for the advice everyone. I'm seeing the doc in about two hours.

I was involved in a car accident a few years ago (going to a Reds game no less) - and I went and saw my family doctor asap. I did have some pain in my neck (which thankfully did not get worse-yet) - but she left her diagnosis "open" meaning that there was pain during the week of the accident and could re-occur. I was contacted by the other guy's insurance company for correspondence and faxed my visit w/charges (they paid) and the diagnosis. Also, keep a copy of the visit(s) if you have to get more treatment.
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

If there is a claim with the person at fault, leave the claim open and don't close it until you are sure that both of you are ok.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    If there is a claim with the person at fault, leave the claim open and don't close it until you are sure that both of you are ok.
    Exactly. If you have any trouble at all from their insurance company, get an attorney.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I was driving in stop and go traffic on the freeway on Saturday night when I was rear ended by a woman who was texting. Both my fiance and I are ok, but we do both have some lingering neck and back pain that has actually gotten worse since the accident happened. I have filed a claim with my insurance company and am still waiting to hear from the adjuster.

I guess my question is if anybody has been involved in something similar and if I should do anything. Should I go see a doctor or does the pain just go away after a couple days? I don't want to waste a bunch of time if it's just something that gets better.

Thanks in advance.
    Always go to the doctor if it involves neck, back, spine area there are a lot of things that can go wrong and never get better with time. Odds are her insurance will cover the cost and if they balk just mention your necks hurting.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

I was hit by a teenager some years ago (last snowy day of the season, "I was doing the speed limit," as he came around a bend and totaled my car). After the police finished with me getting my info, I arranged to get a car and went to the hospital because of some soreness. The kid's insurance company paid for all of that, including my RX for muscle relaxers and pain, paid both me and my daughter $500 each more for "pain & suffering".

I lost out in the end though because I was upside down on my car loan. Blue Book didn't cover enough to leave me money to replace the car after the loan was paid off. Now we have a rider for replacement.

I agree though, get it checked out. Don't hesitate to do that. If dirty work is necessary, look to your insurance company to help out, or ultimately, seek legal help.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

If you even mention that you are physically damaged to the other insurance company, they will start treating you with kid gloves. The main thing is, don't accept any early settlements and leave the claim open.

A doctor I used to go to had a sign on his wall that said:

Five Dangerous Words: Maybe It Will Go Away

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Thanks for all the advice.
    I went to the doc yesterday and everything seems to be ok. He gave me a muscle relaxer to take before bed if I need it.
    My insurance company told me that the other company will cover everything, but I will just have to pay for it up front if I want to get my car fixed now instead of a couple weeks from now. So I'm getting that all taken care of tomorrow and will be cruising around in an Enterprise rental for a week or so.

Turn Off Ads?