Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If the Reds make a move, what's needed more?

If the Reds make a move, what's needed more?

Up until the past week, I thought the Reds needed to go out and land a 1/2 slot arm... After this week, I'm more of the mindset that the Reds need to land a bat that can anchor this line-up... The Cards are surging now due to Holliday warming up... The majority of this Reds line-up though is filled with very streaky hitters... If too many go cold at the same time, we just don't put runs on the board...

Who would you like to see the Reds target?

One guy that comes to mind for me is Julio Borbon... I know teams are a bit hesitant to trade youngsters, but him and Stubbs have the same amount of service time, Stubbs is from Texas, and Borbon could provide a bit more speed at the top of the line-up... Maybe tossing in a low-level prospect could get a deal like that done... From there, without spending much at all on the Borbon deal, I would love to see them open up the prospect wallet on a power bat...
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: If the Reds make a move, what's needed more?

Drew Stubbs - age 25:

.242/.316/.401 - .717 OPS, 14-for-17 in stolen bases

Julio Borbon - age 24

.294/.319/.373 - .692 OPS, 8-for-14 in stolen bases

That's a lateral move at best. I would rather have Stubbs.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Drew Stubbs - age 25:

.242/.316/.401 - .717 OPS, 14-for-17 in stolen bases

Julio Borbon - age 24

.294/.319/.373 - .692 OPS, 8-for-14 in stolen bases

I would rather have Stubbs.
    Both have rebounded nicely from slow starts... Borbon had a pretty solid season in 09 though...

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Stubbs is having a better season than Borbon. I don't really see him making much of a difference. Maybe we could some how trick the Rangers into trading us Hamilton back. I was just thinking today that if the Reds had Hamilton in LF they'd probably have far and away the best defensive outfield in baseball.

Not that I regret the trade we need Volquez.

Delmon Young is another player I would kick the tires on... Historically a second half hitter, but came into this season finally carrying the PROPER chip on his shoulder, is off to a great start, and plays pretty solid defense with a rocket arm...

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

just my opinion but the offensive slump has just been a recent issue whereas the pitching has been the main issue this season.

add pitching. get two arms in addition to the the calvary from the minors (Volquez etc)

the offensive slump seems to have conincided with Hanigan's broken thumb & Cabrera's bum ankle. a healthy Hanigan & Hernandez is better than Hernandez likely playing too much & Corky as the backup.
    DL Cabrera. let his ankle heal. use Janish at SS & maybe callup Sutton for the bench. IF this doesn't work and the team is still in the hunt then maybe we need a SS

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    just my opinion but the offensive slump has just been a recent issue whereas the pitching has been the main issue this season.

add pitching. get two arms in addition to the the calvary from the minors (Volquez etc)

the offensive slump seems to have conincided with Hanigan's broken thumb & Cabrera's bum ankle. a healthy Hanigan & Hernandez is better than Hernandez likely playing too much & Corky as the backup.
    DL Cabrera. let his ankle heal. use Janish at SS & maybe callup Sutton for the bench. IF this doesn't work and the team is still in the hunt then maybe we need a SS
    Stephen Drew?

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    Stephen Drew?
    He would be a strong addition to the club. I've wanted the team to deal for him since it was rumored ~1 year ago that he could be available in the right deal. one problem is that the team only has so many trade chips. while we could get a couple of decent relievers for very little (say A ball players or salary relief) adding Cliff Lee, Haren, S Drew or some other real player is going to cost some actual talent. if we could only get one guy I'd pick Haren.

Another player I'd like to see the Reds kick the tires on is Minny C Wilson Ramos...

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Another player I'd like to see the Reds kick the tires on is Minny C Wilson Ramos...
    He's being mentioned as a potential piece in a deal for someone like Cliff Lee. He won't be coming to Cincy.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    He's being mentioned as a potential piece in a deal for someone like Cliff Lee. He won't be coming to Cincy.
    I just don't see Minny making the move for Cliff Lee... Could happen, but it really hasn't been the Twins M.O.

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

I just don't see Minny making the move for Cliff Lee... Could happen, but it really hasn't been the Twins M.O.
    The sons running the show now after years of a tight pocketed Carl Pohlad ran things. He's much more open to spending and adding money to the payroll sometimes.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Delmon Young is another player I would kick the tires on... Historically a second half hitter, but came into this season finally carrying the PROPER chip on his shoulder, is off to a great start, and plays pretty solid defense with a rocket arm...
    Not a very good defender when I have seen him play and not really an upgrade IMO.

I don't believe at all the Reds will make a deal for a bat. They may deal for a UT type guy who hits LH like Craig Counsell (with Janish going to AAA), I could see that. But I don't see them displacing any of their starters on offense, I think they think they are ok there sans an injury of some sort.

Pitching OTOH could be a possibility though most likely just a veteran RHP for the back of the pen. Unless of course they can get Burton back ok or get Masset straightened out or both (that would be really nice). They could definitely use an ace but I think they feel if they can Edinson back ok with Cueto and Arroyo they will ride that out and see where it takes them. Edinson can be the ACE if he pitches like he did the year before and with a little aggressiveness.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    The sons running the show now after years of a tight pocketed Carl Pohlad ran things. He's much more open to spending and adding money to the payroll sometimes.
    That shiny new stadium has helped that team's revenue situation greatly. I often wonder if Bob instead of Carl had been the owner of the team when this stadium was opened what might have been. Carl looked at it as a way to make a bigger profit from it's newness by restricting payroll vs using the funds to aquire better talent, Bob would have but better talent on the field to create a better product that that fans would buy and then would profit from it.

I mean the year this team opened a brand new state of the art facility, they had a firesale. Hardly the idea when the taxpayers approved the funding. Minnesota is the best ran franchise in baseball. Develop talent from within. Finds ways to keep the top crust of the talent and if they can't, they go get quality players in the trade of said player and need in return. Now with that stadium have the resources to go out and make a deal line deal with said Minor League talent to be even more compeitive... Great Franchise.
    If you can't be a good example... then you'll just have to be a horrible warning...

Nothing tastes as good as being fit feels...

I think Walt's waiting for Bray, Bailey, Volquez, and Chapman to emerge from the minors to round out the pitching staff. These guys can make a huge impact when healthy!!! So with that in mind I think we need a bat of the bench, perferably an OF. The guy I like is Scott Podsednik(KC) he can play all 3 spots and is a solid base stealer to boot. This would allow us to drop Nix from the roster. I think it adds more flexability to the bench than Nix brings!

Turn Off Ads?