Turn Off Ads?

Thread: I agree with Dusty Baker.

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

I agree with Dusty Baker.

Got this quote off Fayblog:

“League didn’t throw many strikes,” Baker said. ”But when you’re throwing 96 you don’t have a lot of time to determine whether it’s a ball or a strike.”
    I don't agree with Dusty Baker very often, but IMO, this is spot on. Which is one major reason why, to me, the emphasis on Aroldis Chapman's wildness is overrated. It is hard to hit upper 90s even if you know it is coming. Bring Chapman up and stick him in the rotation. Or stick him in the bullpen. One way or the other he should be pitching with the big club.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: I agree with Dusty Baker.

Fayl must have had a typo because as I saw it "League didn't throw any strikes"

A better team doesnt swing at balls in the dirt like the Reds have been doing as of late. Its not a 1 pitcher thing right now.

I don't mind us being aggressive as long as its a smart aggressive. Which means not swinging at balls. And if you look up at the scoreboard and its the 5th inning and you have 0 runs and the pitcher is at 40 pitches then maybe its time to be a little more patient.

Quote Originally Posted by 1990REDS View Post
    I don't mind us being aggressive as long as its a smart aggressive. Which means not swinging at balls. And if you look up at the scoreboard and its the 5th inning and you have 0 runs and the pitcher is at 40 pitches then maybe its time to be a little more patient.
    Wow
    I just realized I posted this on the wrong thread. Sorry everyone its still early in the morning for me. Just ignore that last post.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I agree. I think our offense has gotten less patient at the plate.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

I agree with Dusty too, I just don't know where Chapman fits at this point. LeCure has been effective but just can't get any run support.

Dave, where you and I disagree is that I think it's too early to consider Chapman for a spot in the 'pen. He's only thrown 66 innings and has to put in his innings this year to be effective next year.

scoring 1 run in 3 games is concerning - i know batters go through funks for sure and it also many times hits everyone, or nearly everyone, at the same time.

i think thats when its up to the manager to notice it and change style of play to get a run or two a game if possible, it would have been enough to prevent the sweep yesterday. get the running game going, bunt, sacrifice, etc instead of sitting back and waiting for someone to break out a long ball which is what i feel like Dusty does too often. go to small ball and squeak out a couple runs, our pitching would have made 2 runs work yesterday but we just leave 7 on base and chalk up another L in SEA.

coaches and management cant go out and do it themselves but they do get paid to know when the team is struggling and make the adjustments necessary to make the best of it, i think our coaches/manager have failed at doing this so far this year.

Quote Originally Posted by mivers176 View Post
    scoring 1 run in 3 games is concerning - i know batters go through funks for sure and it also many times hits everyone, or nearly everyone, at the same time.

i think thats when its up to the manager to notice it and change style of play to get a run or two a game if possible, it would have been enough to prevent the sweep yesterday. get the running game going, bunt, sacrifice, etc instead of sitting back and waiting for someone to break out a long ball which is what i feel like Dusty does too often. go to small ball and squeak out a couple runs, our pitching would have made 2 runs work yesterday but we just leave 7 on base and chalk up another L in SEA.

coaches and management cant go out and do it themselves but they do get paid to know when the team is struggling and make the adjustments necessary to make the best of it, i think our coaches/manager have failed at doing this so far this year.
    Dusty tried this against Carpenter when we played the Cardinals and got absolutely railed for it on the board. Stubbs definitely needs to be more aggressive on the bases though, he can flat out fly.

Turn Off Ads?