Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cincy Chili - Can it Work Elsewhere?

Re: Cincy Chili - Can it Work Elsewhere?

I think there are 2 battles that would have to be won:

1) The name. You say chili to someone outside the tri-state, and they think regular chili. Texas style. Comes in a cup or a bowl. Not over pasta. If we want pasta, then we will go get Italian or Chinese.

2) The region. I think it will have a better chance of succeeding (a) where there are tri-state transplants, and/or (b) where the weather is cold for a good bit of the year. In my part of the world, the growing season is long. We pick stuff out of gardens a lot longer than you do 400+ miles to the north. We can grill out pretty much all year round. We also have much better access to fresh seafood. Add in all of the barbecue (Western NC vs. Eastern NC vs. Texas vs. Memphis...) in this part of the world, and the reality is that we have a lot of other things that are going to sound better and taste better than Cincinnati chili.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I would like to see a Cincinnati Chilli Style Pizza. I need to make one myself to see if it works. You could do it 3, 4, or 5 way. The Chilli would be the sauce and the cheese would go on top. Has anyone seen this or has it been tried?
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    I would like to see a Cincinnati Chilli Style Pizza. I need to make one myself to see if it works. You could do it 3, 4, or 5 way. The Chilli would be the sauce and the cheese would go on top. Has anyone seen this or has it been tried?
    Donatos did it a few years ago but I didn't try it. I like the idea in theory.

I loved the Cincy chilli pizza from Donatos, it was a heart attack on a crust but good.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    always thought of this. I'm surprised LaRosas never collaborated with Skyline for that, similar to how they have a Montgomery Inn pizza

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    I think there are 2 battles that would have to be won:

1) The name. You say chili to someone outside the tri-state, and they think regular chili. Texas style. Comes in a cup or a bowl. Not over pasta. If we want pasta, then we will go get Italian or Chinese.

2) The region. I think it will have a better chance of succeeding (a) where there are tri-state transplants, and/or (b) where the weather is cold for a good bit of the year. In my part of the world, the growing season is long. We pick stuff out of gardens a lot longer than you do 400+ miles to the north. We can grill out pretty much all year round. We also have much better access to fresh seafood. Add in all of the barbecue (Western NC vs. Eastern NC vs. Texas vs. Memphis...) in this part of the world, and the reality is that we have a lot of other things that are going to sound better and taste better than Cincinnati chili.
    Good post. It's funny you mentioned barbecue, because chili inspires similar regional debates, and it's a tough sell to bring in something that's not the way it's done around there.

Personally, I prefer making my own Texas-style chili and then making a three-way with it. Each to our own, I guess.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I wonder how it would taste if one of the "ways" was a layer of jalapenos. I can imagine that people here wouldn't even try it without that being an option.

As much as I would enjoy it, I realize that chili so different from Texas chili would never fly here in Texas, except with midwestern transplants like me.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    I wonder how it would taste if one of the "ways" was a layer of jalapenos. I can imagine that people here wouldn't even try it without that being an option.

As much as I would enjoy it, I realize that chili so different from Texas chili would never fly here in Texas, except with midwestern transplants like me.
    I don't think the jalapenos would work on the Skyline. I love jalapenos, but not on Skyline, it just doesn't sound good.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Thanks to the many plugs on RZ.....I tried it several years ago on a stopover at the Cincy airport. It was the farthest thing from 'chili' that I've ever tasted, east coast...west coast...anywhere in between.

No offense to the fine people of Cincy...but trust me, it's a Cincy thing.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Steak n Shake carries it's own version of pasta/chili all over the place.

We have some Skyline joints up in Northeast Ohio. I think Skyline could work just about anywhere because it's a unique alternative to the usual burgers and fries served by most fast food joints. However, I think the key to bringing it to new areas is to explain the origins of the chili so that people know it isn't just crazy way Cincinnatians decided to modify Texas chili, but rather it is a thing unto itself, having little relation to Texas chili beyond the name "chili."
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Like barbecue ribs and spaghetti sauce, "good" chili has a different meaning to everybody.

What one person likes, another dislikes and vice-versa.

I've had chilis, ribs and spaghetti sauces that many people will claim as the greatest they've ever had, and I can't stand them.

Regional flavors mean everything.

Also, the older you get, the more spice you need because your tastebuds deteriorate (like sight, hearing, and smelling) over age.

I think the fact that it's called chili hurts it elsewhere. I'm from the northeast and I find it to be an odd concoction ...... but I'm stuck in the notion of what I call chili.

The first time I had it, I said ..... oh .... it's Alpo on spaghetti. I like it better now ..... except for the big pile of cheese.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Like barbecue ribs and spaghetti sauce, "good" chili has a different meaning to everybody.
    That's true. I'm not even a huge fan of true Texas chili which is all meat. I like fresh peppers (hot and bell), onions and beans in mine. My chili is more of a garden chili.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    Thanks to the many plugs on RZ.....I tried it several years ago on a stopover at the Cincy airport. It was the farthest thing from 'chili' that I've ever tasted, east coast...west coast...anywhere in between.

No offense to the fine people of Cincy...but trust me, it's a Cincy thing.

Yeah, calling it chili is really a misnomer. It's more like a sauce to me. Not bad, but not what I think of when I want chili.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Turn Off Ads?