Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Much Longer?

How Much Longer?

How much longer are the Reds going to stick with Coco Cordero? I personally cringe nearly every time he comes out to try to hold a tie or get a 1-2 run save (3 runs I'm a little more comfortable with).

What about switching Cordero and Rhodes?? These games are getting too important as the season goes on - in which we see Cordero's blown saves and ERA going up as it progresses. Last night was so important and luckily it didnt cost us in the end but that seems to be happening more and more.

Cordero: 4.36 era, 33 inn, 1.48 whip and 5 blown saves

Rhodes: 0.29 era, 31 inn, 0.81 whip

What does everyone think?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: How Much Longer?

It's hard to argue against that with those numbers that you've posted.

Great idea but the Reds are paying Coco to be the closer, and will continue to do so, no matter how many saves he blows.

Its coco's job.

Last night was a fluke.

it wasnt that bad of a pitch. Dude just made a good swing on it.

Quote Originally Posted by bgwilly31 View Post
    Its coco's job.

Last night was a fluke.

it wasnt that bad of a pitch. Dude just made a good swing on it.
    Okay the HR was a fluke. But how about back-to-back walks to start the 10th? Was that a fluke as well?

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Cordero's is the worst contract we've suffered since Launching Pad Milton's. At least we got rid of Tavares, and he was nowhere near as big of a financial investment.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Okay the HR was a fluke. But how about back-to-back walks to start the 10th? Was that a fluke as well?
    well you know it could have been worse. he could have just completely broke down after the hr and lose the game then.

But nope he recovered quite well and kept us in it, so that we could have a bomb parade the next inning.

We can't make Rhodes the closer because that takes away his versatility. He can't be designated to just the 9th inning. We need him out there to get the best hitters out whether it's the 7th, 8th, or 9th inning.
    "There are high fastballs and then theres Chapman's high fastball" -Chris Welsh

I don't know but we have to do something about Cordero. He can't throw strikes and we he does they are hit all over the place. For the most part

The Buckeye Bomber

Quote Originally Posted by bshall2105 View Post
    We can't make Rhodes the closer because that takes away his versatility. He can't be designated to just the 9th inning. We need him out there to get the best hitters out whether it's the 7th, 8th, or 9th inning.
    This.

The real solution is to do away with the Closer role entirely. Use Arthur when we need an out whether it is in the 7th, 8th or 9th. He's a big reason why Coco has had so many save opportunities this season.

Pick your pitchers based on the situation, not their paycheck. Who really cares who gets the saves? Is it really that important for one pitcher to get all of them?
    I hate the Cardinals. I hate the Cubs.
    Let's. Go. Reds.
    "Per Aspera Ad Astra"

Its coco's job.
    And he's doing it poorly.

Last night was a fluke.

Huh? One blown save...maybe a fluke. Two? Let's not sweat yet.

FIVE BLOWN SAVES BEFORE THE END OF JUNE, LEADING THE LEAGUE????

Your definition of "fluke" is different than mine.

Quote Originally Posted by redssince75 View Post
    And he's doing it poorly.

Huh? One blown save...maybe a fluke. Two? Let's not sweat yet.

FIVE BLOWN SAVES BEFORE THE END OF JUNE, LEADING THE LEAGUE????

Your definition of "fluke" is different than mine.
    haha best possible example of taking words out of context. lol bravo sir.

He's still no Trevor Hoffman - 5 out of 10 for the year and a nifty ERA of 9.00
    "...kicks and deals, and it's right down Broadway"
    2009 Attendance Record 1-2
    2010 Attendance Record 3-1
    2011 Attendance Record 2-0
    2012 Attendance Record 6-2

i completely agree with thorn. i hate how not just the reds but in all of baseball how the "closer" is used. the "closer" is supposedly your best bullpen arm and is not always used in the most important situations of the game.

for ex: if its 1 out bases loaded 6th inning you have a 1 run lead, now is the time to bring the closer if were defining the closer as our best reliever, or the reliever that comes in during the highest stress situations.

but every team passes on the "closer" in this situation and waits till the 9th when no one is on base and you may or may not of increased your lead, or you gave up your lead and now have no use for the "closer"

i mean thats just one example but often times in games there are more crucial spots where a team needs an out and the closer is not out there.

i think its fine to have some defined roles for what inning a player is gonna come in but i think all managers should be a lot more flexible with this when they encounter a crucial spot in a game. honestly its probably a lot less stressful for DRH to pitch the 9th with no one on base than to come into the 6th to get one batter out with guys on 2nd and 3rd.

sorry for the rant just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by webbbj View Post
    honestly its probably a lot less stressful for DRH to pitch the 9th with no one on base than to come into the 6th to get one batter out with guys on 2nd and 3rd. .
    CoCo creates his own stress...........he starts with a clean sheet and immediately puts 2 guys on before he gets an out.
    "...kicks and deals, and it's right down Broadway"
    2009 Attendance Record 1-2
    2010 Attendance Record 3-1
    2011 Attendance Record 2-0
    2012 Attendance Record 6-2

Turn Off Ads?