Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Wednesday June 23rd minor league updates (Volquez rehab start - followed by Chapman)

Re: Wednesday June 23rd minor league updates (Volquez rehab start - followed by Chapm

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I wouldn't say that. Brandon Phillips is OPSing well over .800 as of right now while playing Gold Glove defense. Valaika is OPSing .711 in AAA and isn't exactly a great defender. Valaika can hit for average but so far this season he's yet to hit a homer and he's only got 14 walks in 255 atbats.
    You're definitely right. I'm looking for Valaika's peak to be an "average" NL 2nd Baseman, not one of the Top-5 every year like Brandon has been. By "smooth transition", I simply meant that we should be comfortable handing the reigns over to Valaika as opposed to the SS auditions we've had since Larkin left. Didn't expect to get someone as good as Larkin and I don't expect to get someone as good as Phillips.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Wednesday June 23rd minor league updates (Volquez rehab start - followed by Chapm

I hope Chris Valaika is never regarded to be an everyday player in Cincinnati. He rarely walks, has no power, and is nothing special defensively according to reports. His batting average is the only thing that keeps him even remotely on the prospect screen. He's the best argument in the organization for just how good Brandon Phillips really is. I hope to see BP at 2nd for the Reds for years to come, just not in the 4 spot in the lineup.

Yeah, with Harang, Arroyo coming off the books after this year, and Cordero coming off the books after next year I really don't see the need in dealing Phillips. Even if you do and use that money for a shortstop who would be available next year who would be a significant upgrade over Phillips in terms of production?

Why anyone would want to trade the Reds 2nd best player confuses me.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Why anyone would want to trade the Reds 2nd best player confuses me.
    As with any trade, it depends on the return. That said, I wouldn't be shopping Brandon.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    As with any trade, it depends on the return. That said, I wouldn't be shopping Brandon.
    Well obviously but I'm not talking normal resonable progression of baseball. I'm talking about people actively wanting to replace him just to replace him.

Boom Goes the Dynamite Screwball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Well obviously but I'm not talking normal resonable progression of baseball. I'm talking about people actively wanting to replace him just to replace him.
    Unfortunately, it's like that with any player set to make some money. Once Votto starts raking in at least $15 mill a year, there'll be some who can't wait 'til he "comes off the books."

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I hope Chris Valaika is never regarded to be an everyday player in Cincinnati. He rarely walks, has no power, and is nothing special defensively according to reports. His batting average is the only thing that keeps him even remotely on the prospect screen. He's the best argument in the organization for just how good Brandon Phillips really is. I hope to see BP at 2nd for the Reds for years to come, just not in the 4 spot in the lineup.
    Valaika rarely walks, but while he hasn't hit for power, prior to breaking his hand last season the guy was coming off an 18 HR season. He has some power in there. Offensively, he is probably an average second baseman. Defensively he is probably an average second baseman. Thats a large step down from Brandon Phillips. There also isn't anything wrong with that.

Turn Off Ads?