Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds will look at bullpen for Chapman

Reds will look at bullpen for Chapman

From John Fay's twitter:

#Reds will look at bullpen for Chapman. "With Volquez coming on and Bailey not that far away, it's the best opportunity for him," Jocketty.

http://twitter.com/johnfayman

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds will look at bullpen for Chapman

good, 100mph fastball, it cant hurt

I used to be dead set against this idea, but it's been slowly growing on me. I don't want him there on a permanent basis though. Continue grooming him as a starter for the long-term.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Personally I love the idea. Keeps his innings down this year and lets him pitch with the reds. If he can be a shut down reliever in the 7th and 8th innings for us he could be the difference between us winning the division and another year without making the playoffs. The bullpen is probably his only chance at helping the reds this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyjohn25 View Post
    I used to be dead set against this idea, but it's been slowly growing on me. I don't want him there on a permanent basis though. Continue grooming him as a starter for the long-term.
    I agree he has to go into spring training next year as a starter, but for this year let him throw out of the pen. He might throw 105mph if he knows he only has to go one inning.

I can get comfortable with this for this year.

*Aroldis Chapman is pitching in relief today for Louisville for the first time this season. And for the first time this year, Reds GM Walt Jocketty indicated that he could be looked to eventually come up as a reliever.

"We may look at that," Jocketty said. "If Volquez comes back and Bailey isn't far away, the best opportunity will be out of the bullpen. But we could still possibly use him as a starter."
    http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/archi...e_--_news.html

I'd continue letting him start in Louisville and then break him into the majors as a reliever to let him get his feet wet, and then ease him into the rotation.

Cool. I don't know if this is considered "out of the box" thinking, but it's at least a willingness to be flexible in their plans, which is nice to see.
    My name is Cheesy Beef Burrito

Used to be that most starters broke in as relievers. I wouldn't mind seeing 100 mph heat coming out the bullpen for an inning or two this season.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Took them long enough. We were on that a month ago. I'm guess Reds brass just didn't want to let the cart get ahead of the horse regarding Volquez's rehab. Chapman in a Neftali Feliz role would make me very happy.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

It worked for David Price and helped the Rays get to the world series. It also gets Chapman working with Hernandez again and with Bryan Price

I like the idea, but it seems a little soon. I'd prefer they start this about a month from now, giving him the chance to continue to start in Louisville. Even with Price and Wainwright, they did not bring those guys up in relief until much later in the season.

Then again, maybe the thinking is they need help now and if they don't do something, they're going to be out of the race.

Quote Originally Posted by dunner13 View Post
    I agree he has to go into spring training next year as a starter, but for this year let him throw out of the pen. He might throw 105mph if he knows he only has to go one inning.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I like the idea, but it seems a little soon. I'd prefer they start this about a month from now, giving him the chance to continue to start in Louisville. Even with Price and Wainwright, they did not bring those guys up in relief until much later in the season.

Then again, maybe the thinking is they need help now and if they don't do something, they're going to be out of the race.
    I don't know. I think his stuff is ready for the major league level. I think he needs some fine tuning and thats the the reason why he has been down in AAA so far this season. I don't exactly think him pitching out of the pen would be all that difficult come July or August. Give him the ball every couple of days, put him in a comfortable situation (against a lefty or to start an inning) and let him throw. I don't think this hurts his development nor do I think his future is in the pen. I just think it makes the most sense for the Reds this season.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post

It doesn't seem like a call-up is imminent. They just positioning him for the opportunity to be called up down the road.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?