Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Pathetic

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Pathetic

Even Tim Kurkjian -- who rarely rips anyone -- just ripped the Reds as the "loser" of the trading deadline.

Lovely.

Seriously, finding a deal for a decent middle reliever like Farnsworth was that difficult? Every team in the race was able to improve themselves, yet the Reds found this to be an exercise in futility?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Pathetic

i agree 100%. while you shouldn't make a move just to make one, there had to be something they could have done. they can still make one in august but it will be harder to pull off.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

The Reds greatest strength this year is depth. Pretty much everywhere.

Another middle reliever, with Burton, Izzy, Springer and Chapman at AAA wasn't really needed.

Unless the player involved was very good, they likely wouldn't have helped Cincy very much.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    The Reds greatest strength this year is depth. Pretty much everywhere.

Another middle reliever, with Burton, Izzy, Springer and Chapman at AAA wasn't really needed.

Unless the player involved was very good, they likely wouldn't have helped Cincy very much.

if burton and chapman were ready to help they would already be here. i still have my doubts on izzy and springer being viable.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Yeah, not exactly WJ's finest hour. Even if you can't pick up someone for this year, the deadline should be a time for taking advantage of teams' willingness to move talent.

And just to get out in front of it ... I would never endorse "making a move just to make a move." But if you are the GM of the Reds and you just let the trading deadline pass without improving the club, I would have to say "epic fail."

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

As I have said earlier today.... I feel the Reds felt the true upgrades weren't available. No need to trade for a very minimal upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    And just to get out in front of it ... I would never endorse "making a move just to make a move." But if you are the GM of the Reds and you just let the trading deadline pass without improving the club, I would have to say "epic fail."
    Those same words were said by a few at the start of the season when some felt that enough wasn't done in the offseason to put out a winning team.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    As I have said earlier today.... I feel the Reds felt the true upgrades weren't available. No need to trade for a very minimal upgrade.
    I have no doubt that's what the Reds think. But talent was moving--be it for now or later.

Sorry, every other team in the race was able to improve their club via trades, but the Reds just have such an abundance of depth that we didn't need to participate? I'm not buying it. I like Walt, but he didn't do his job well enough in this situation. It was his job to find a way to improve the team at/before the trading deadline and he failed.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

The thing is they waited til Volquez got back.. That's fared well.. Bailey and Harang are on the DL. Leake is pitching every eigth day or so. That's just the rotation. Has anyone seen Drew Stubbs and Jonny Gomes get a hit in the past week or so.. How bout Jay Bruce. The quick fix would be to bring Dickerson up to relieve the duties of Stubbs. But with the lack of production from half the lineup that doesn't even match up to the consistancy of one Francisco Cordero. How many hairs have been lost this year alone by the guy? All this while Russ Springer is in Louisville putting zeros on the board night in and night out. I am about as livid as the rest of you except for those who still think they should play for the following season every year. When every possible playoff team makes a move and you do nothing and say that their just wasn't an upgrade out there. Really? I'm pretty sure I've heard about 15 players mentioned this past month that would have been huge upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    It was his job to find a way to improve the team at/before the trading deadline and he failed.
    It doesn't mean he's a monster. But yeah, it's pretty undeniable that he didn't improve a team that he needed to improve in order to make the postseason.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Those same words were said by a few at the start of the season when some felt that enough wasn't done in the offseason to put out a winning team.
    And some would still feel that way.

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    The thing is they waited til Volquez got back.. That's fared well.. Bailey and Harang are on the DL. Leake is pitching every eigth day or so. That's just the rotation. Has anyone seen Drew Stubbs and Jonny Gomes get a hit in the past week or so.. How bout Jay Bruce. The quick fix would be to bring Dickerson up to relieve the duties of Stubbs. But with the lack of production from half the lineup that doesn't even match up to the consistancy of one Francisco Cordero. How many hairs have been lost this year alone by the guy? All this while Russ Springer is in Louisville putting zeros on the board night in and night out. I am about as livid as the rest of you except for those who still think they should play for the following season every year. When every possible playoff team makes a move and you do nothing and say that their just wasn't an upgrade out there. Really? I'm pretty sure I've heard about 15 players mentioned this past month that would have been huge upgrades.
    And this team is a half game out of first place.

The sky is not falling. Everybody relax.

Quote Originally Posted by alloverjr View Post
    And some would still feel that way.
    That's sad.

Turn Off Ads?