Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Reds will look at bullpen for Chapman

Re: Reds will look at bullpen for Chapman

From Jeff Fletcher of AOL Fanhouse - Volquez, Chapman Poised to Join Reds In Different Roles

Although it would have been logical to think that the Reds would move Chapman to the bullpen as a means of limiting his innings, Jocketty said Chapman has enough arm strength that he could continue to start through the end of September.

"He has a pretty resilient arm," Jocketty said, adding that there is still no timetable for Chapman's promotion, although it seems the time is coming near.
    http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/06/23/v...fferent-roles/

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'm guessing Chapman comes up fairly soon. If Bailey is good to go when he starts throwing again, that's three high leverage bullpen arms. Add in LeCure when Volquez comes back and the Red pen will likely look like this;

Cordero
    Rhodes
    Bailey
    Chapman
    LeCure
    Bray
    Masset/ Owings/ Smith/ Ondrusek

Pretty impressive group of arms there. I'd guess LeCure as long man, with Bray as LOOGY, Masset as middle reliever, and Bailey, Chapman, and Rhodes as set-up men. This might also allow Baker a chance to use someone other than Cordero as closer occasionally. It will also almost certainly allow Baker a chance to use a good arm in high leverage situations throughout the game. With four former starters in the pen, they can also go multiple innings if needed as well. (This should really assist Leake and Volquez as they try to limit innings going forward.)

I'm guessing, because he needs innings, Chapman will go multiple innings to begin with. Two or three innings at a time, IMO, as starters fail to get through the sixth.

If Jocketty can find another starter, the pen becomes even stronger as well.

We forget that Burton is down there too, as well as LeCure (or whoever Homer eventually replaces)
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Chapman has stated he takes awhile to get loose which could cause him to have troubles in the pen. Not against the move as I think it could help him build confidence going into next season. I also wonder how Chapman feels about the possible move?

I have to think if he does well tonight we will see both Bray and Chapman called up.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    See, I think it is imminent. I think he'll be up before the ASB. I'd be surprised if he wasn't.
    Unless someone gets hurt I don't think a promotion is imminent. My guess is he won't be up until sometime in August. There's too other guys ahead of him in the pecking order, Volquez, Burton, Bray, Bailey
    Last edited by Sea Ray; 06-24-2010 at 03:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Chapman has stated he takes awhile to get loose which could cause him to have troubles in the pen. Not against the move as I think it could help him build confidence going into next season. I also wonder how Chapman feels about the possible move?

I have to think if he does well tonight we will see both Bray and Chapman called up.
    For that reason he ought to be used for 2-3 innings at a time

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I wouldn't be shocked to learn that this was the plan all along for Chapman -- pitch him as a starter to get his innings up and let him work on things, then move him to the bullpen down the stretch for a late-season call up to the majors.

I think the plan might've been sidetracked a bit when he dominated in spring training and competed for a roster spot, but I don't doubt that Jocketty considered this a possible outcome from day 1.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I repeat for the umpteenth time - 125 IP in the AAA rotation and 20 to 25 IP in the Reds pen in August and September. It prepares him for a bigger load next year when he's likely rotation bound, gets his feet wet and acclimation to the big leagues out of the way and hopefully helps the Reds down the stretch in the race. Until then, there are other arms to audition in various roles including Wood, Maloney, Bray, Burton and maybe Valiquette while also possibly getting another look at Fisher and Del Rosario and trying to figure how Bailey, Volquez and Lecure all fit.

The Reds don't need to jeopardize 2011 and Chapman's likely spot in the rotation by cutting his innings short with a premature move to the pen. They can wait another 7 or 8 starts or so IMO.
    Last edited by mth123; 06-24-2010 at 06:40 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I repeat for the umpteenth time - 125 IP in the AAA rotation and 20 to 25 IP in the Reds pen in August and September. It prepares him for a bigger load next year when he's likely rotation bound, gets his feet wet and acclimiation to the big leagues out of the way and hopefully helps the Reds down the stretch in the race. Until then, there are other arms to audition in various roles including Wood, Maloney, Bray, Burton and maybe Valiquette while also possibly getting another look at Fisher and Del Rosario and trying to figure how Bailey, Volquez and Lecure all fit.

The Reds don't need to jeopardize 2011 and Chapman's likely spot in the rotation by cutting his innings short with a premature move to the pen. They can wait another 7 or 8 starts or so IMO.
    i'm curious. i believe you didn't like my suggestion of moving Leake to the pen at a certain point yet you suggest a similar scenario for Chapman. why the difference in the way you would approach these two young pitchers?

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    i'm curious. i believe you didn't like my suggestion of moving Leake to the pen at a certain point yet you suggest a similar scenario for Chapman. why the difference in the way you would approach these two young pitchers?

Good question. I probably don't have a good enough answer, but I think Leake's ability to keep hitters off balance by a varying assortment of pitches strikes me as a guy who is just made for going through a line-up three times and much of that value is lost in 1 or 2 inning stints. I'd rather ride Leake's rotational strengths for a few more starts, than move him to the pen to get more days out of him.

As for Chapman, his strengths are accentuated in short stints by coming out of the pen throwing 100 MPH and slamming the door shut.

That said, if moving Leake to the pen is what it takes to keep the team from pushing him past 175 IP, I'm all for it.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

The problem with waiting 7 or 8 more starts, mth, is that the Reds might be stuck with the pen they have now for those 35-40 more games. That might mean two or three wins.

In a division this tight, are you willing to punt those wins for player development in 2011?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    The problem with waiting 7 or 8 more starts, mth, is that the Reds might be stuck with the pen they have now for those 35-40 more games. That might mean two or three wins.

In a division this tight, are you willing to punt those wins for player development in 2011?
    Yes. In the mean time, Bray, Wood, Maloney, Bailey, et al provide ample opportunity to improve the pen.

Actually, my preference would be to deal a couple for some one else more established to improve the pen w/o upsetting the timetable of Chapman.

Chapman himself is still a question mark and there is no more guarantee that punting those innings would do much more to improve the pen than adding Bill Bray or Phil Valiquette.

Fair enough. I think I disagree, but I can see your point, too.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Good question. I probably don't have a good enough answer, but I think Leake's ability to keep hitters off balance by a varying assortment of pitches strikes me as a guy who is just made for going through a line-up three times and much of that value is lost in 1 or 2 inning stints. I'd rather ride Leake's rotational strengths for a few more starts, than move him to the pen to get more days out of him.

As for Chapman, his strengths are accentuated in short stints by coming out of the pen throwing 100 MPH and slamming the door shut.

That said, if moving Leake to the pen is what it takes to keep the team from pushing him past 175 IP, I'm all for it.
    thanks.

From Brian Giesenschlag:

Jocketty says Chapman will be in Reds bullpen in a few weeks.

http://twitter.com/FOX19Brian

Turn Off Ads?