Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Reds will look at bullpen for Chapman

Re: Reds will look at bullpen for Chapman

Three weeks, according to the telecast.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Chapman made his second relief appearance tonight for Louisville and he dominated. He threw a 1-2-3 inning with two strikeouts and threw only nine pitches, seven for strikes.

Nice article by Michael Grant in the Louisville Courier-Journal:

"I think I'm ready to play in the big leagues," he said through Bats trainer/interpreter Tomas Vera. "I just have to wait for them to give me the opportunity. I'm a patient person."
    "He's learning a lot," said Power, a former major leaguer. "If you go out there and try and throw 102 mph because you can, you're going to wear yourself down pretty fast. ... His command is getting much better. His understanding of pitching in certain situations is getting much better."
    Edinson Volquez, the Cincinnati Reds ace who is rehabbing with the Bats, has been imparting some veteran wisdom.

"He needs to prepare more before the game," he said. "He's got great stuff. He's still young. He has to attack the zone and be aggressive, because he has a good fastball. He can do whatever he wants."

Chapman is paying attention.

"I'm a person that listens a lot," he said. "Whenever someone gives me good advice, I listen."
    http://www.courier-journal.com/artic...f+for+the+Reds

From Mark Sheldon:

*Aroldis Chapman has three innings in two appearances since moving to the Triple-A Louisville bullpen. So far, he's allowed one run with two hits, one walk and five strikeouts. Chapman is scheduled to work two innings tonight after Edinson Volquez makes another rehab assignment start.

"Excellent," GM Walt Jocketty said when asked how Chapman was doing as a reliever. "His last time out [on Saturday], he pitched one inning and faced two left-handed hitters and struck them out. He got the right-hander out. In that one performance, he was dominating.

"We've got him on a program for a couple of weeks to pitch an inning, get a day or two off, then a couple of innings. It's a regular program so he doesn't end up hurting himself."
    http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/archi...en_stubbs.html

From John Fay:

–Aroldis Chapman should be with the club shortly after the break if he continues to throw well in relief.

He’s given up one run in three innings. He’s walked one and struck out five.

“We won’t make a decision until after the break,” Jocketty said. “We’ve got him on schedule to get him comfortable with throwing in relief. He was dominant in one inning the other day. He’s scheduled to throw two innings tonight. We want him to get his arm used to recovery.”
    http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...LKsWf9Rnnck%3D

J.J. Cooper of Baseball America was in attendance for Chapman's relief appearance a couple nights ago. Here are some of his observations:

"This guy could change the pennant race," a scout said before quickly adding, "if he can throw strikes."

It was worth adding the caveat. The first pitch out of Chapman's hand was a 99 mph strike. He got to 1-2 on Dioner Navarro with an sharp 89 mph slider that would freeze just about any hitter, but then he humped up and overthrew a 103 mph fastball that hit Navarro. That ended up being a snapshot of what Chapman did on Tuesday–he showed lots of velocity and sometimes unhittable stuff, but he also was very prone to losing a pitch every now and then, with painful and sometimes scary results.
    "There are a lot of moving parts," the scout said in explaining why Chapman's control seems to come and go. The scout added that he liked how the 6-foot-4, 185-pound Chapman's delivery from the stretch does a good job of hiding the ball–something that's not easy to do with the lanky body and long arms that help explain Chapman's unrivaled velocity.
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/...9221#more-9221

The first quote in the bottom paragraph is one of the biggest reasons I'm so excited about Chapman. Tweaking his mechanics in order to sharpen up his control is fixable. I'm not an expert on mechanics or anything but it seems like most young pitchers struggle with their mechanics early in their career. I have faith that Bryan Price and the Reds will correct that issue.

Senor Votto

This is exciting. I hope to get to see him pitch live in a game this year

From Ed Price of AOL Fanhouse:

• Aroldis Chapman is the most famous lefty at Louisville, Cincinnati's Triple-A affiliate, but a scout who recently saw the Bats said Philippe Valiquette is also pitching well. Valiquette, a 23-year-old Canadian who began the year in Double-A, will be in Sunday's Futures Game.

"They call up both those guys and put them in the bullpen," the scout said, "and [the NL Central race] is over."
    http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/07/06/o...ys-from-flyin/

Valiquette can touch 100 mph but he lacks a secondary pitch. He's not ready for the big leagues yet.

I think it's only a matter of time before we see Chapman in Cincinnati. He threw another 1-2-3 inning tonight and picked up his first save. He has been dominating lately.

His last seven appearances:

7 IP, 6 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 11 K

From John Erardi:

SPEAKING OF THE PEN: Cuban fireballer Aroldis Chapman is close to being ready to be called to the big leagues, said Reds general manager Walt Jocketty.

The Reds have received “very good” reports on him, he said.

“The reports are he’s adapting and feeling more comfortable down there (coming out of the bullpen),” Jocketty said.

It’s just a matter of some refinement for Chapman now – getting 100 percent command and consistency.

The biggest thing for Chapman coming into these pennant-race games is being able to throw strikes.

“His stuff is so good, if he can throw strikes (he’ll get hitters out),” Jocketty said.

“We’ll see how he is in the next couple of weeks.”
    http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...the-difference

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    We could use him for the St Louis series and not to mention the dreaded west coast swing.

Chapman may have speeded up his call up tonight as he had yet another dominant outing:

2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K, 2 GO/0 FO, 24 pitches/16 strikes

His last eight appearanes:

9.1 IP, 6 H, 0 ER, 2 BB, 15 K

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Chapman may have speeded up his call up tonight as he had yet another dominant outing:

2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K, 2 GO/0 FO, 24 pitches/16 strikes

His last eight appearanes:

9.1 IP, 6 H, 0 ER, 2 BB, 15 K
    Sped.

Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

The Reds will have plenty of bullpen depth in September. The issue will be determining which players appear on the roster August 31. No doubt the Reds will want to take a look at Chapman, Springer, Isringhausen, and Burton before then. On the other hand, they need to get to September in good shape and the current bullpen is looking strong of late. Similarly, they must whittle the starters down to a favored five. August will be interesting.

Turn Off Ads?