Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Reds will look at bullpen for Chapman

Re: Reds will look at bullpen for Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    Sped.
    I'm not sure the grammar police are really needed on a baseball forum, but the verbal phrase speeded up is acceptable by many experts.
    Last edited by Spitball; 08-01-2010 at 11:07 PM.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Chapman may have speeded up his call up tonight as he had yet another dominant outing:

2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K, 2 GO/0 FO, 24 pitches/16 strikes

His last eight appearanes:

9.1 IP, 6 H, 0 ER, 2 BB, 15 K
    Just got back from the Bats game tonight. Even though I was have drunk by the time Chapman came in, it was hard not to notice how electric his stuff was tonight. He inherited a pretty tough situation...1st and 3rd with no one out and the game on the line. He got out of the jam and helped the Bats go on to win.

In warm ups he was hitting 100-102 consistently. Kid is a flat stud.

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    Sped.
    I'm not too worried about it. We say things differently in West Virginia.

Who does Chapman replace? Bray, Smith and Ondrusek seem to be the only real candidates and Smith and Ondrusek have both been very good.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Replaces Bray would be my guess.

IMO he would become the best reliever the Reds have ... thus it doesn't really matter who he replaces.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Who does Chapman replace? Bray, Smith and Ondrusek seem to be the only real candidates and Smith and Ondrusek have both been very good.
    I'd replace somebody that doesn't get used. Janish.

Quote Originally Posted by Playadlc View Post
    . Even though I was have drunk by the time Chapman came in, it was hard not to notice how electric his stuff was tonight.
    I really enjoyed this line. thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    We could use him for the St Louis series and not to mention the dreaded west coast swing.
    I wonder how much faster that 102 MPH heat looks in August when the bats as a whole have slowed down just a fraction of a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I wonder how much faster that 102 MPH heat looks in August when the bats as a whole have slowed down just a fraction of a second.
    Not sure it matters if they don't have to take it off their shoulder. I gotta say I think the Reds are making a mistake bringing him up at all this season.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Chapman is almost ready. He would instantly be our best reliever. You don't wait on that because of a middling bullpen arm.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Chapman is almost ready. He would instantly be our best reliever. You don't wait on that because of a middling bullpen arm.
    He will be if he can throw strikes otherwise he would become our worst.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Considering they have junked the off speed "quota," it's apparent he's the best we would have.

Chapman has been excellent this year in every way. Jocketty and the rest of the brass realize his BB/9 numbers are completely irrelevant considering how they had him pitch.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Chapman's control almost means literally nothing out of the pen. He can come and be effectively wild, like Carlos Marmol. If he had a 25-30 pitch inning, so be it.

Worry about his control next year when he is a starter. Right now, as long as he's getitng people out that's all that matters.

The dude throws 103. If he can just get anything offspeed over the plate, he's going to be tough to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Chapman's control almost means literally nothing out of the pen. He can come and be effectively wild, like Carlos Marmol. If he had a 25-30 pitch inning, so be it.

Worry about his control next year when he is a starter. Right now, as long as he's getitng people out that's all that matters.

The dude throws 103. If he can just get anything offspeed over the plate, he's going to be tough to hit.
    I know they want him to be a starter, but I would not be surprised at all if he went the route of Neftali Feliz. Feliz has the repitoire of a starter, but coming out of the pen he can be dominant throwing 75% fastballs with a some changes and curves mixed it.

I could see him prepping to be a starter in 2011, but not being one of the 5 best in camp and then staying on as a bullpen arm.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?