Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can the June swoon talk end now?

Can the June swoon talk end now?

Can it end now that we swept the A's or do we need to win more to end it? Just wondering. That was a HUGE sweep for us though. Go Reds!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Can the June swoon talk end now?

Quote Originally Posted by stevekun View Post
    Can it end now that we swept the A's or do we need to win more to end it? Just wondering. That was a HUGE sweep for us though. Go Reds!
    Let's wait til after the Cleveland series, anything less than a sweep is a disappointment. If we get 2/3 that is ok. If we lose the series we it may be too early to ditch the June swoon.

Gotta remember we are 10-11 this month and we have played:
    STL
    WSH
    SF
    KC
    LAD
    SEA
    OAK

3 bad teams (KC,SEA, and WSH). 1 decent team OAK. And 3 good teams. While 10-11 isn't awful, if we want to make the playoffs we need to have a winning record against that group of teams.

'19 '40 '75 '76 '90

A sweep of the Indians would get us back on the track I expected the month to take. I was hoping we'd take 4 of 6 out west, but we showed tremendous fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Let's wait til after the Cleveland series, anything less than a sweep is a disappointment. If we get 2/3 that is ok.
    So is two wins a disappointment or not?

I'd say no.. Even though the Indians suck, they are our rival and two out of three against any team is good. I would put the 2/3 category as expected. 1/3 dissapointment. 0/3 total failure (start calling for changes) 3/3 - As Borat would say, "Great Success!"

Gotta remember we are 10-11 this month
    But you also have to remember 10-11 in June is like 15-6 in any other month.
    "There are high fastballs and then theres Chapman's high fastball" -Chris Welsh

Quote Originally Posted by bshall2105 View Post
    But you also have to remember 10-11 in June is like 15-6 in any other month.
    Haha, true statement.

if we take 2/3 from cleveland which i'm 99% sure we will, i think we will be back on track hopefully

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanInBama View Post
    So is two wins a disappointment or not?
    It's disappointing but it is still ok. I expect a sweep of the Indians, if we get 2/3 I can deal with it but won't be happy about it. Losing the series or getting swept I'll be angry.

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting The Voice of IH's Avatar

2/3 is an absolute MUST!!!!!! We CAN NOT lose the series... a sweep would almost be expected especially if we can get the first one taken care of.
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

Let's wait til after the Cleveland series, anything less than a sweep is a disappointment. If we get 2/3 that is ok. If we lose the series we it may be too early to ditch the June swoon.

Gotta remember we are 10-11 this month and we have played:
    STL
    WSH
    SF
    KC
    LAD
    SEA
    OAK

3 bad teams (KC,SEA, and WSH). 1 decent team OAK. And 3 good teams. While 10-11 isn't awful, if we want to make the playoffs we need to have a winning record against that group of teams.
    In the major leagues you can't expect a sweep against any team. If we don't sweep the Tribe that is not the end of the world.

We have played decent over the last 20 or so and that is enough. The competition is doing the same. No need for an over reaction.

Go Reds - regardless!

Formerly Farsighted Fan sabometrics's Avatar

They're going to have to struggle massively this homestand if I'm gonna call this a June swoon. Here's the matchups the last 6 games of June:

June 25: Harang vs Laffey
    June 26: LeCure vs Masterson
    June 27: Arroyo vs Talbot
    June 28: Cueto vs Kendrick
    June 29: Leake vs Blanton
    June 30: Harang vs Holliday (12:35 start - you know what that means)

2 of 3 is what I expect against Cleveland - those are all very winnable games, but no game screams a huge mismatch in our favor imo and the Indians can likely steal one. 1 of 3 is expected against Philly, though 2 of 3 is doable. Harang vs Holliday is already a loss in my book.

The Cards have a stretch of very easy games @KC (but still likely to play like home games) and the D-Backs in St. Louis ('zona has the 2nd worst road record in the league). They're not going to let up, and could open up a more comfortable lead if the Reds fail to pull a winning homestand. 4-2 needs to be the target, but 3-3 won't be the end of the world. 2-4 or worse and you can be sure the swoon talk will rear its ugly head again.
    Last edited by sabometrics; 06-24-2010 at 02:26 AM.
    "He looked like a surfer kid from SoCal," manager Dusty Baker says. "He didn't say much, but you could tell he was cool."

Quote Originally Posted by sabometrics View Post
    They're going to have to struggle massively this homestand if I'm gonna call this a June swoon. Here's the matchups the last 6 games of June:

June 25: Harang vs Laffey
    June 26: LeCure vs Masterson
    June 27: Arroyo vs Talbot
    June 28: Cueto vs Kendrick
    June 29: Leake vs Blanton
    June 30: Harang vs Holliday (12:35 start - you know what that means)

2 of 3 is what I expect against Cleveland - those are all very winnable games, but no game screams a huge mismatch in our favor imo and the Indians can likely steal one. 1 of 3 is expected against Philly, though 2 of 3 is doable. Harang vs Holliday is already a loss in my book.

The Cards have a stretch of very easy games @KC (but still likely to play like home games) and the D-Backs in St. Louis ('zona has the 2nd worst road record in the league). They're not going to let up, and could open up a more comfortable lead if the Reds fail to pull a winning homestand. 4-2 needs to be the target, but 3-3 won't be the end of the world. 2-4 or worse and you can be sure the swoon talk will rear its ugly head again.
    To be honest I was excited about the Harang v Holliday matchup. I was thinking they were calling up some minor leaguer named Holliday. I think you mean Halladay

Holiday is more appropriate, since that is likely what the Reds' bats will taking. I take that back. They are gonna rough up an ace sooner or later. It might as well be Halladay.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

2 out of 3 is not a disappointment - I couldn't care less who you play. Winning a series is always a good thing.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

Turn Off Ads?