Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Approaching July, Any trades to be made?

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Approaching July, Any trades to be made?

Post your ideas here. More teams are falling out of contention and might be ready to wheel and deal.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Approaching July, Any trades to be made?

I got one.. Lets trade Paul O'Neil for Roberto Kelly!!!! Yeah that would be a good trade

Best players that might be available, by team that has fallen out of contention and who might be interested in:

Orioles (24.5 games out)
    Will Ohman - lefty relief pitcher with a decent ERA. Hitters batting around .250 off him. I'd be interested for the right price.

NOTE: Corey Patterson, in 128 at-bats, has 3 HR's, 10 SB's (caught once), and is batting .250 with an OBP of .307. Not interested, but was surprised he is playing so much.

Royals (11.5 out)
    Joakim Soria (RH RP) age 26
    Zach Greinke - if you could get him, you would
    Kyle Farnsworth (RH RP)

Indians (13.5 games out)
    Chin-Soo Choo - probably the next great table setter out there. You'd have to give up the world to get him because he's still making close to the minimum. .289 average, .389 OBP, 8 HR's, 11 stolen bases. Only 27. Been very consistent with those numbers the last 3 seasons including this one.
    Chris Perez (RP) - decent relief pitcher. Hitters batting only .231 against him.

Oakland (10 games out)
    Andrew Bailey (RH RP)
    Craig Breslow (LH RP)

Seattle (13 out)
    Cliff Lee - if you can get him for the right price, you do
    Doug Fister, Jason Vargas, Felix Hernandez - are 3 good starting pitchers also.
    Brandon League (RH RP)

Nationals (10 games out)
    Tyler Clippard (RH RP) age 25

Houston (13.5 out)
    Roy Oswalt - only if they'd pay part of his salary, and even then I'd still have to debate whether it was worth it.

Pittsburgh (14 out)
    Andrew McCutcheon - former first round pick; another good table setter with good average, OBP, stolen bases, and some power too.
    Evan Meek (RH RP) - nearly unhittable relief pitcher

Arizona (14 out)
    Justin Upton - only 23 years old; hits for power and has speed
    Dan Haren - goes without speaking

I'm trading for relief pitching first. If I could get a #1 or #2 worthy starter for a reasonable exchange, I'd think about it. I'm also concerned about our leadoff spot. I'd trade for an outstanding table setter like Choo or McCutcheon in a heartbeat, again, if the trade were fair.

McCutcheon would be one of the least available players in the big leagues. Pittsburgh just can't trade a young stud for more prospects. We would have to start with Votto and Stubbs to get him.

Same can be said for King Felix and Upton, but I would love targeting a number of the other guys you listed. We have a gluttony of prospects in AAA, I say we make a splash.

I am pretty sure I read AZ said any player not named Upton is available.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

What about offering someone Hernandez? There are a lot of clubs that could use a good catcher.

Brett Myers from Houston
    Cincinnati Reds
    Marshall Thundering Herd

Kentucky Wildcats
    Indianapolis Colts

Washington Wizards

outside of getting a long term solution at SS....I think I will stick to just wanting the Reds FO to focus on getting us Dan Haren and a top of the line middle relief help....once one of our starters go to the pen, along with whomever we get in a trade, then this team gets real nasty, real fast if Dan Haren is included in our rotation. Imagine what our rotation and pen will look like next year!!! I am so amped to be a Reds fan right now....have not felt this way since 1990

We couldn't even get Upton for Bruce and a prospect IMO, because they have him locked up to a very nice contract.

Quote Originally Posted by lidspinner View Post
    outside of getting a long term solution at SS....I think I will stick to just wanting the Reds FO to focus on getting us Dan Haren and a top of the line middle relief help....once one of our starters go to the pen, along with whomever we get in a trade, then this team gets real nasty, real fast if Dan Haren is included in our rotation. Imagine what our rotation and pen will look like next year!!! I am so amped to be a Reds fan right now....have not felt this way since 1990
    Yeah, I will be happy when Harang's contract is up at the end of the season.

Not sure what I'd do with Arroyo. Love his rubber arm. Reminds me of Tom Browning. He's good most of the time, but gets shelled on occasion. I wouldn't mind re-signing him for that veteran presence and innings eater, if the price were right.

Cueto is getting better, aside from his occasional mental lapses. He had a rough patch for 2 or 3 games but seems to have righted the ship.

Leake is one of those things that never seems to happen to the Reds. Finally some good luck. The kid has a bright future.

Bailey..........what to do with Homer Bailey? When healthy, I wouldn't mind packaging him for other needs. I think Cueto has a better future than Bailey. Bailey has never seemed to put it together consistently enough for me. Seems like we could get the same ERA and result out of Travis Wood, LeCure, or Maloney, honestly. But Bailey has more hype surrounding him.

Volquez returning to form? Can't wait to see him pitch against major leaguers in a few weeks or a month, and see what he's got. So far, so good in the minors.

I'd love to trade for Haren. He's under contract a few more years for slightly more than Harang and Arroyo were paid. If we trade for him, Arroyo won't be re-signed though.

Masset and Cordero have been pitching better of late, aside from Cordero's meltdown the other night. If Bill Bray's promising rehab is for real, Herrera's days are numbered. Rhodes is money in the bank. Might as well re-sign him now. Ondrusek is looking good too. Hopefully he can continue it. Cordero, Rhodes, Masset, Bray, Ondrusek............I guess Owings as long relief. Who should be the final reliever? Wish we could trade for one more quality bullpen arm.

I'm pretty happy with our position players. I'm not so happy with the lineup. Cabrera's quality leadoff spurt has ended with his hurt ankle. We need a good table-setter, and I'd be all for trading for one. Chin-Soo Choo and his nearly .400 OBP and .290 average would be nice........but I realize our outfield is already logjammed.

Our needs?
    #1 or #2 starter
    Bullpen help
    Quality leadoff hitter

Why would Upton and McCutcheon be available? They are superstars of the present and future.

How about adding Brendan Donnelly, Octavio Dotel and Will Ohman to the list.

Quote Originally Posted by MotownRed View Post
    Why would Upton and McCutcheon be available? They are superstars of the present and future.

How about adding Brendan Donnelly, Octavio Dotel and Will Ohman to the list.
    Upton has a massive contract as well, so there is no way he's going to be traded. McCutcheon could be availible because it's the Pirates and they like to trade their most talented players.

Quote Originally Posted by MotownRed View Post
    Suppose you offered them Stubbs, Bailey, and some double A player for McCutcheon. Do you think they'd listen then?

You could argue we have plenty of starting pitching, so we give up Bailey.
    Then we could argue we're looking for a leadoff hitter, and that Stubbs is going to be more of a defensive player and is developing his offensive game, but has good speed and some power.

Pirates would get 2 former #1 picks for their #1 pick, plus another decent minor league player.

We get our table setter.

Just a hypothetical.

They still probably wouldn't listen. Would we trade Votto for a similar package?

I think your list needs to focus on older players that aren't considered core to these rebuilding teams. Guys like Carlos Lee, Berkman, Cliff Lee, Oswalt, maybe Haren.

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post

Our needs?
    #1 or #2 starter
    Bullpen help
    Quality leadoff hitter
    I think the Seattle Series Taught us that we NEED a number 1 starter if we hope to get to and contend in the playoffs. If and only IF we get that number 1 guy, then our bull pen problems all but go away with Volqueze and Bailey coming back... one of them will have to hit the pin, plus Lecure will be back there, and everyone else we can bring back to stick in there as well, (Chapman, Bray, Woods) along with Rhodes, Masset and CoCo that is one heck of a PIN.

The leadoff hitter situation I think can be fixed with putting Heisey there. He was terrific there earlier in the year if my memory serves me right.
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

Turn Off Ads?