Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Approaching July, Any trades to be made?

Re: Approaching July, Any trades to be made?

Quote Originally Posted by swaisuc View Post
    They still probably wouldn't listen. Would we trade Votto for a similar package?

I think your list needs to focus on older players that aren't considered core to these rebuilding teams. Guys like Carlos Lee, Berkman, Cliff Lee, Oswalt, maybe Haren.
    We wouldn't do a similar package for Votto because we are in contention. The Pirates still aren't going to be winning any time soon, the Reds should be a good team for years to come. If Pittsburgh could get a few more good young guys to lay the foundation, I could see them dealing McCutcheon.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by bshall2105 View Post
    We wouldn't do a similar package for Votto because we are in contention. The Pirates still aren't going to be winning any time soon, the Reds should be a good team for years to come. If Pittsburgh could get a few more good young guys to lay the foundation, I could see them dealing McCutcheon.
    If we give them Votto, Bailey, and Stubbs/Heisey they may listen, but just listen. McCutchen isn't going anywhere except in a video game.

At some point Pittsburgh has to quit trading guys for prospects. McCutcheon is an absolute all around stud, you will get no better play to help lay a foundation.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    If we give them Votto, Bailey, and Stubbs/Heisey they may listen, but just listen. McCutchen isn't going anywhere except in a video game.

At some point Pittsburgh has to quit trading guys for prospects. McCutcheon is an absolute all around stud, you will get no better play to help lay a foundation.
    If they got 2 or 3 good young players from us say Homer Bailey, Drew Stubbs, and Juan Francisco/Yonder Alonso. That may be worth more than just Andrew McCutcheon to a team a few years away from winning. I think they would at least consider that, they've shown in the past they will trade just about anybody.

If they got 2 or 3 good young players from us say Homer Bailey, Drew Stubbs, and Juan Francisco/Yonder Alonso. That may be worth more than just Andrew McCutcheon to a team a few years away from winning. I think they would at least consider that, they've shown in the past they will trade just about anybody.
    They have to get out of the cycle of playing for the future at some point though. Plus McCutcheon will still be there for plenty of years. Their fan base is dwindling as is, at some point the rebuilding needs to stop. I think their core of McCutcheon, Alvarez, Tabata is heading in the right direction.

That group of 3 may be better down the road, but right now you have a sure fire all-star type talent in McCutcheon who is under control for many years, you have to absolutely be blown away to trade a guy like that.

I say the best deal is to offer the Yankees Fransisco for Nunez. The Reds need a young SS and the Yankees could use Fransisco at DH

Honestly, I don't think there's going to be any deals done. The only real spots I see them looking at for trades is bullpen help (obviously) or a bona fide ace like Cliff Lee. I don't think they'll want to give up any true prospects though, and no team will want to give up quality arms for the Reds offers. I believe this is because the Reds believe they will improve their MLB team with new arms coming from the minors in the second half (Rotation = Volquez, Bullpen = Chapman, Bray, or even another AAA starter moving to the 'pen like Maloney/Wood). So due to this the Reds won't feel desperate to offer a lot for other team's pitchers.

The Reds have worked to build their farm system to the point it is now. Why trade away players to add to a major league roster that's young and playoff inexperienced. We need to keep our eye on the prize. This team isn't currently constructed to win it all this year. They can't afford to give away future talent at the first prospect of contending for the playoffs. I want to make the playoffs as much as the next guy, but you build a team and organization through the draft and trading for young talent, lets not get caught up and overpay for player to add to a team that's a year or two away.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SidneySlicker View Post
    The Reds have worked to build their farm system to the point it is now. Why trade away players to add to a major league roster that's young and playoff inexperienced. We need to keep our eye on the prize. This team isn't currently constructed to win it all this year. They can't afford to give away future talent at the first prospect of contending for the playoffs. I want to make the playoffs as much as the next guy, but you build a team and organization through the draft and trading for young talent, lets not get caught up and overpay for player to add to a team that's a year or two away.
    Agree and disagree.

What if your organization has a logjam at certain positions, but nobody to fill a need at other positions? Shouldn't you make trades to fill your needs?

Such as shortstop. Are Valaika and/or Cozart really the future answer at SS?

What about leadoff hitter? Stubbs K's too much to be a leadoff factor. We're already seeing the struggles of OCab at leadoff.

We have an abundance of starting pitching. Why not wheel and deal to fill our needs and make our team stronger for the future? You don't have to trade for overpriced veterans. You can deal your young talented prospects for other teams young talented prospects. Those other teams may have a need that you can fill, and they may have a logjam at a position that you need to fill. It can be beneficial to both team if you can find a willing trade partner.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Agree and disagree.

What if your organization has a logjam at certain positions, but nobody to fill a need at other positions? Shouldn't you make trades to fill your needs?

Such as shortstop. Are Valaika and/or Cozart really the future answer at SS?

What about leadoff hitter? Stubbs K's too much to be a leadoff factor. We're already seeing the struggles of OCab at leadoff.

We have an abundance of starting pitching. Why not wheel and deal to fill our needs and make our team stronger for the future? You don't have to trade for overpriced veterans. You can deal your young talented prospects for other teams young talented prospects. Those other teams may have a need that you can fill, and they may have a logjam at a position that you need to fill. It can be beneficial to both team if you can find a willing trade partner.
    Point well taken I should say that I'd only want to to a trade that would involve a potential long term piece. If they are looking to bring in a young long term piece at a position of need than sure go for it. Let's not look for quick fixes at this point in the rebuilding.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Point well taken I should say that I'd only want to to a trade that would involve a potential long term piece. If they are looking to bring in a young long term piece at a position of need than sure go for it. Let's not look for quick fixes at this point in the rebuilding.
    I agree about quick fixes. I don't want a high priced veteran who has seen his best years.

Only looking for pieces to add for this year and long term.

This is why I like a trade for Cliff Lee. We give up 2 or 3 of our top 10 prospects. But we get likely 2 first round draft picks for him in the offseason. Right now our farm system is pretty top heavy (most of our top guys are in AAA), therefore we not only get a guy to help push us into and through the playoffs, but it gives us an opportunity to stockpile some more talent at the lower levels in next year's draft.

Pastor, dad and husband Mr Larkin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Voice of IH View Post
    I think the Seattle Series Taught us that we NEED a number 1 starter if we hope to get to and contend in the playoffs. If and only IF we get that number 1 guy, then our bull pen problems all but go away with Volqueze and Bailey coming back... one of them will have to hit the pin, plus Lecure will be back there, and everyone else we can bring back to stick in there as well, (Chapman, Bray, Woods) along with Rhodes, Masset and CoCo that is one heck of a PIN.

The leadoff hitter situation I think can be fixed with putting Heisey there. He was terrific there earlier in the year if my memory serves me right.
    The Seattle series only proved we were cold offensively. We lost two games 1-0. That does not prove we need a #1 starter!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Larkin View Post
    The Seattle series only proved we were cold offensively. We lost two games 1-0. That does not prove we need a #1 starter!
    I think it proved that we didn't need a #1. If we are losing games 1-0 starting pitching is not the problem.

Pastor, dad and husband Mr Larkin's Avatar

I think it proved that we didn't need a #1. If we are losing games 1-0 starting pitching is not the problem.
    Righto!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Larkin View Post
    You do realize how bad Seattle is offensively, correct? We have a .782 team OPS including a pitcher, Seattle has a .655 OPS with a DH. They are in the bottom 3 in nearly every offensive category. Our pitching performance against them should be taken with a grain of salt.

We need a true #1 for when we face guys like Carpenter, Wainwright, Halladay, and Jiminez who are true #1's on teams that can handle the stick a bit too.

Turn Off Ads?