Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Interesting thread on Sun Deck: What if?

Interesting thread on Sun Deck: What if?

What if you could bring back any Reds player's season and put him on this current team, who would it be? I'll make it easier, name one pitcher and one hitter.

I'll go with Barry Larkin's 1996 season as my choice for hitter. Yeah he won the MVP in 1995 but his 1996 season was even better as he became the first 30/30 shortstop in major league history (33 HR/36 SB) and hit .298/.410/.567 - .977 OPS and won a Gold Glove. I was tempted to go with Eric Davis's 1987 season in CF or Johnny Bench's 1972 season behind the plate but I felt shortstop was the biggest need. That combination of offense/defense at SS would make the Reds the clear favorites in the NL Central this season.

My pitcher would be Mario Soto's 1983 season in which he posted a 2.70 ERA in 273.2 innings with a 95 BB/242 K ratio and an ERA+ of 140. This addition would give the Reds a bonafide ace at the top of the rotation. I also strongly considered Jose Rijo's 1993 season and Tom Seaver's 1978 season.

Adding two talents like Barry Larkin and Mario Soto would surely put this team in the playoffs and probably the World Series.

Who would you pick?
    I miss Adam Dunn.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Interesting thread on Sun Deck: What if?

Frank Robinson's 1962 season would look awfully good in RF or LF.

Cy Semour's 1905 CF season would look great as well.

But I'd go with Larkin. Biggest difference between what could be and what is.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Yeah, Larkin in a landslide.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Larkin in 1995 or 1996 is the obvious choice if you're going straight up position to position. That would take care of the shortstop problem. One may also consider Cy Seymour in 1905 or Edd Roush in 1919 for center field.

If I were allowed to cheat a little bit, though, I'd probably take Joe Morgan in 1975 or 1976 and just move Phillips to shortstop.

For pitching, give me Dolf Luque's 201 ERA+ in 1923 (finished second in NL in IP too).
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post

If I were allowed to cheat a little bit, though, I'd probably take Joe Morgan in 1975 or 1976 and just move Phillips to shortstop.

I was thinking the same thing about Morgan.

I would go with Bench in 70'. Had he played that season at GABP he would have challenged 61' HR's easy and no one but no one would be stealing off him.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

I would go with Bench and his 1970 or 1972 season. He could handle the pitching staff and make a huge difference in that regard too.
    Soto's 83 season. When he was on top of his game he was as good as anyone.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Larkin and Bench were my immediate thoughts, but I sure would like to have a 1962 Frank Robinson in LF. Played every day while hitting .342/.421/.624, good for 8.5 WAR.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

This team could use a good LH starter, Noodles Hahn would help.

I'd also take Ted Abernathy's 1967 season

If you want to shore up the bullpen, how about Scott Sullivan circa 1999?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Thought of that too, but Abernathy was amazing that year with an ERA + of 299

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Maybe John Franco 1988.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

I'll put 1977 George Foster in the mix. That would solve our need for a righty power bat in a hurry. 52 homers and a 1.013 OPS.

Haunted by walks

Like Franco. Any votes for Foster?

Larkin at SS or Bench at C make the most sense. Very hard to ignore 2B Joe Morgan in 1975.

But I'd like to give a shout-out to 1977 George Foster in LF, 1963 Jim Maloney at pitcher, 1991 Jose Rijo at P, and 1954 Ted Kluzewski at 1B.

Pay attention to the open sky

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

Foster was my first thought, not a huge defensive lift but he might hit a few HR's in GABP
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

Turn Off Ads?