Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 UC Football

jredmo2

Re: 2010 UC Football Official Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    UofL is a perfect example of what happens to CFB teams with no tradition. There just isn't a built in fan base that can sustain bad coaches/bad years.
    See:

Miami Hurricanes pre-Schnellenberger
    Florida Gators pre-Spurrier
    Virginia Tech pre-Beamer
    Florida State pre-Bowden

All had marginal football programs before and are now national powers (to varying degrees). Not that this is the norm, but history has shown that previously marginal programs can achieve sustained success.

2. Turn Off Ads?

UofL is a perfect example of what happens to CFB teams with no tradition. There just isn't a built in fan base that can sustain bad coaches/bad years.
    Except that it took three years for attendance to dip by any significant measure and the football team still made more money than UC. Given the stadium expansion and new coach UofL should set attendance records this year despite a few "bad years".

So, I don't think your point holds water. In fact, I'd say UofL is a "perfect example" of how to build a sustainable program despite a lack of tradition. Use success to improve the facilities so that the downturn is short and the fans are willing to stick around. It also helps immensely that Louisville is a college town.

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    Except that it took three years for attendance to dip by any significant measure and the football team still made more money than UC. Given the stadium expansion and new coach UofL should set attendance records this year despite a few "bad years".

So, I don't think your point holds water. In fact, I'd say UofL is a "perfect example" of how to build a sustainable program despite a lack of tradition. Use success to improve the facilities so that the downturn is short and the fans are willing to stick around. It also helps immensely that Louisville is a college town.
    Louisville is irrelevant in CFB to most. Other than for a few years they just haven't mattered.

I've went to UC for undergrad and Ohio State for grad school. It's easy to see the programs with tradition and staying power and the one's who won't sustain.

Tradition, stadium, and strong recruiting base are the keys, IMO.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Don't hurt yourself jumping off that bandwagon, now.
    I was never on the bandwagon. But I did recognize the Kelly-Led Bearcats as something special. Just as the Kelly-Led Fighting Irish will be something special, I imagine.

And I think Jones is a pretty good coach. I just think that UC Football is heading back where it was before Kelly got here. We shall see.

Sidenote: Cincinnati Sports Fans and their use of the term "bandwagon" has always cracked me up. People need to look that word up.

Yankees have a bandwagon? Yep.
    Lakers? No question.
    Steelers? Ya You betcha.
    But Cincinnati Sports teams? Pulllease. Try having some success more than once every 20 years then maybe we can start talking about a bandwagon.

Don't look now...but the Kansas City Royals Bandwagon is coming to a town near you!!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Bandwagon fans are ones who jump on for success and bail when its not there. It doesn't matter how long you have success.

Quote Originally Posted by jredmo2 View Post
    See:

Virginia Tech pre-Beamer
    Florida State pre-Bowden

All had marginal football programs before and are now national powers (to varying degrees). Not that this is the norm, but history has shown that previously marginal programs can achieve sustained success.
    Aside from the U(who hit it big with a 2nd big coach right in a row) the other programs had the advantage of one guy coaching for at least 10 years as well.

I don't doubt that Butch Jones can continue on the path Dantonio, Kelly et al have started them on, but Cedric's correct that one bad coaching hire can really destroy any progress made to this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Louisville is irrelevant in CFB to most. Other than for a few years they just haven't mattered.

I've went to UC for undergrad and Ohio State for grad school. It's easy to see the programs with tradition and staying power and the one's who won't sustain.

Tradition, stadium, and strong recruiting base are the keys, IMO.
    I'm not quite following your argument. Are you talking about the ability to sustain a successful football program or to sustain relevancy? I'm suggesting that UofL has the foundation in place to sustain a successful program not relevancy. Relevancy comes with success. Miami was not relevant for a wide portion of this decade and Michigan is irrelevant currently. In fact, while Ohio St has been successful and relevant during the Tressel years they even endured some years where no one cared about them during Cooper's reign.

So, I agree that just like many other schools, UofL has dropped off the national scene for two years. They're hardly alone in that fall and have the framework in place to return, likely starting this year to a small degree.

I guess time will tell.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jredmo2 View Post
    See:

Virginia Tech pre-Beamer
    Florida State pre-Bowden

See also:

Kansas State pre-Snyder
    Northwestern pre-Barnett
    Oregon State pre-Riley

I'm not quite following your argument. Are you talking about the ability to sustain a successful football program or to sustain relevancy? I'm suggesting that UofL has the foundation in place to sustain a successful program not relevancy. Relevancy comes with success. Miami was not relevant for a wide portion of this decade and Michigan is irrelevant currently. In fact, while Ohio St has been successful and relevant during the Tressel years they even endured some years where no one cared about them during Cooper's reign.

So, I agree that just like many other schools, UofL has dropped off the national scene for two years. They're hardly alone in that fall and have the framework in place to return, likely starting this year to a small degree.

I guess time will tell.
    Louisville fans sure are excited about their new coach Knute Rock... err, I mean Charlie Strong.

I guess time will tell.
    I reread my post and it reads a little rude, sorry for that. I'm actually kinda agreeing with you that Louisville has a better chance than most at sustaining success.
    Just making the point that one bad coaching hire or a few bad seasons can kill momentum for UC. It's so hard to sustain success without tradition in this sport.

I don't really think the Florida schools are a good example to follow though. The game is already huge here and the population shift isn't coming back our way anytime soon, IMO.

The factors that created the 3 giants in Florida won't happen around here.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Bandwagon fans are ones who jump on for success and bail when its not there. It doesn't matter how long you have success.
    Who really cares? I mean do you want extra recognition if you aren't a bandwagon fan?

I have always followed UC football. Growing up in Cincinnati I was always interested in how they did, just didn't care enough to watch the games. I am an OSU fan first and foremost because I went to school there.

Bandwagon fans build or renovate stadiums. They build better and competitive practice facilities. They generate more revenue in order to not only pay coaches more but also assistant coaches. If I were a fan of UC I would want as many bandwagon fans as possible.

www.dictionary.com

band-wag-on

a party, cause, movement, etc., that by its mass appeal or strength readily attracts many followers:

...Sorry, that rules out the Reds, Bengals, and certainly the Bearcats.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fon Duc Tow View Post
    www.dictionary.com

band-wag-on

a party, cause, movement, etc., that by its mass appeal or strength readily attracts many followers:

...Sorry, that rules out the Reds, Bengals, and certainly the Bearcats.
    If by mass appeal you consider the entire country, yeah, sure. If you consider mass appeal to the 2.5 million people in the greater Cincinnati metro area 'mass', then those three all count.

If by mass appeal you consider the entire country, yeah, sure. If you consider mass appeal to the 2.5 million people in the greater Cincinnati metro area 'mass', then those three all count.
    Even if everyone in Cincinnati is doing something, if Cincinnati is the only city doing it, then there is no mass appeal.

Does Skyline Chili have mass appeal?

And don't say "In Cincinnati it does" because "mass" means everywhere, not just one place. That's like saying your TV has mass appeal in your house because everyone likes to watch it.

So again I say, if your team only does well once every 20 years or so, then there is no bandwagon. Only fans with varying degrees of the "willing suspension of disbelief."

Quote Originally Posted by Fon Duc Tow View Post
    Even if everyone in Cincinnati is doing something, if Cincinnati is the only city doing it, then there is no mass appeal.

Does Skyline Chili have mass appeal?

And don't say "In Cincinnati it does" because "mass" means everywhere, not just one place. That's like saying your TV has mass appeal in your house because everyone likes to watch it.

So again I say, if your team only does well once every 20 years or so, then there is no bandwagon. Only fans with varying degrees of the "willing suspension of disbelief."
    Try and explain to me what "one place" entails? Makes no sense.

So if something is popular in the USA and not the world is that "just one place"?

Weird argument man.

Turn Off Ads?