Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 UC Football

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Re: 2010 UC Football Official Discussion Thread

Sources: USC WR transferring to Cincy.

USC wide receiver Brandon Carswell might transfer to Cincinnati, according to sources. Carswell's former USC teammate, wide receiver Vidal Hazelton, is currently playing at Cincinnati.

Los Angeles Daily News

2. Turn Off Ads?

per Vidal_Hazelton7 twitter "So one of the surprises I had for the bearcat fans was Brandon carswell but I guess the media got to it before me.. But I got 2 more for yal"
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

I think it will be very interesting to see what degree of success that Butch Jones has. I'm hopeful.

I think people forget that UC football has been on the upswing since about the second half of Rick Minter's term as coach. Before that, it really was about as pathetic as a Div. 1 program can be during Tim Murphy, Dave Currey, et al. But Minter carved some relatively decent teams out of the wilderness that was UC football and started getting them to some minor bowls around 2000 or so. When they started having a little success, Minter couldn't quite get them over the hump so Mark Dantonio was there for a couple-three years and got them to the next rung of respectablility. And then Kelley came on board and things went gonzo.

Realistically, I don't expect a 12-0 season. Too many things have to go right and I think UC used all that up last year. But I think an 11-3 or 10-4 season isn't out of the question. Butch Jones was a very good coach at Central Michigan and Kelley didn't leave the cupboard bare at UC. They have a lot of offensive firepower coming back but the defense is really the question in my mind. They won a lot of shoot-outs last year which are always entertaining. But their defense will dictate the degree of success they achieve.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I see a similar parralel between UC and West Virginia when Rodriguez left for Michigan and even Louisville when Petrino was there.

Three schools that have had moderate success in football but in two of the cases were overshadowed by basketball (UC when Huggins was there, Louisville because it is Kentucky). When the team won, the fans came and packed the stadium, especially when the product being placed on the field was extremely exciting.

Then the bottom fell out:

Bobby Petrino left for the Atlanta Falcons then eventually Arkansas. Louisville thought they would strike gold again hiring a promising young coach in Steve Kragthorpe. After three seasons of underachieving, Kragthorpe was gone and the fan support eroded.

Rich Rodriguez left for Michigan and left West Virginia in such a way that brought out the very worst in this state. While WVU fans pull for Rodriguez to fall, the sun has fallen on the Mountaineer football program with Bill Stewart at the helm. They were solid with Pat White and Steve Slaton after Rod left but nowhere near the success under Rodriguez. WVU still packs Mountaineer Field, but the program is back to the Nehlen days under Bill Stewart.

The only difference between UC and Louisville/WVU is that UC is going back to the same well. Butch Jones could very well be a carbon copy of Brian Kelly, and I hope minus the leaving for Notre Dame that he is for UC fans.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I see a similar parralel between UC and West Virginia when Rodriguez left for Michigan and even Louisville when Petrino was there.

Three schools that have had moderate success in football but in two of the cases were overshadowed by basketball (UC when Huggins was there, Louisville because it is Kentucky). When the team won, the fans came and packed the stadium, especially when the product being placed on the field was extremely exciting.

Then the bottom fell out:

Bobby Petrino left for the Atlanta Falcons then eventually Arkansas. Louisville thought they would strike gold again hiring a promising young coach in Steve Kragthorpe. After three seasons of underachieving, Kragthorpe was gone and the fan support eroded.

Rich Rodriguez left for Michigan and left West Virginia in such a way that brought out the very worst in this state. While WVU fans pull for Rodriguez to fall, the sun has fallen on the Mountaineer football program with Bill Stewart at the helm. They were solid with Pat White and Steve Slaton after Rod left but nowhere near the success under Rodriguez. WVU still packs Mountaineer Field, but the program is back to the Nehlen days under Bill Stewart.

The only difference between UC and Louisville/WVU is that UC is going back to the same well. Butch Jones could very well be a carbon copy of Brian Kelly, and I hope minus the leaving for Notre Dame that he is for UC fans.
    While I do understand your point, it's still pretty difficult to make the WVU/UC comparison as an apples to apples comparison. WVU is the 15th winningest program in NCAA history, and has a much steeper tradition than UC.

And while I'm far from a Bill Stewart fan, he does have the highest winning percentage of any coach in WVU history. Pretty tough to say that WVU is "back to the Nehlen days" after a coach's first two seasons.

UC's hire also wasn't internal.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    While I do understand your point, it's still pretty difficult to make the WVU/UC comparison as an apples to apples comparison. WVU is the 15th winningest program in NCAA history, and has a much steeper tradition than UC.

And while I'm far from a Bill Stewart fan, he does have the highest winning percentage of any coach in WVU history. Pretty tough to say that WVU is "back to the Nehlen days" after a coach's first two seasons.
    It's more the comparison of Rodriguez leaving WVU than anything else. While every WVU fan I know is hoping to see Rodriguez gone from Michigan after this season, the star quality of WVU has taken a hit with Stewart at the helm. Most WVU fans I know feel that Stewart has underachieved and hasn't gotten the most out of his players.

This probably belongs in a WVU thread but a friend of mine went to a coaches caravan here in Parkersburg at JP Henry's. When asked about this upcoming season, Stewart responded "Well, I don't think we will be as good as we have been, but we are going to give it our all." This was said at a FUNDRAISER. At least he's honest, lol.

As a UK fan, i've always compared Stewart to Tubby Smith. A good coach and a good family man, will put up a pretty high winning percentage to keep job security. At the end of the day though, is not somebody who will likely ever lead a team to a national championship by himself (I say that because Tubby won it all with Pitino's players).
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    UC's hire also wasn't internal.
    For some reason I thought Butch Jones was an assistant for Brian Kelly at CMU. I think he was for one year though before leaving for Morgantown to work with Rodriguez.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

For some reason I thought Butch Jones was an assistant for Brian Kelly at CMU. I think he was for one year though before leaving for Morgantown to work with Rodriguez.
    You are correct.

He arrived at Central Michigan in 1998, coaching tight ends for one year, running backs for two more, and finally called the plays on offense from 2002 to 2004.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butch_Jones

Lets just say this Butch Jones>Bill Stewart.

Though theres one school that might have hit the lotto with their replacement...

USF

Skip Holtz rebuilt the 5th school in North Carolina to a respectable mid major and now you're giving him Florida to work with in Florida's 4th school... Im scared.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

It's more the comparison of Rodriguez leaving WVU than anything else. While every WVU fan I know is hoping to see Rodriguez gone from Michigan after this season, the star quality of WVU has taken a hit with Stewart at the helm. Most WVU fans I know feel that Stewart has underachieved and hasn't gotten the most out of his players.

This probably belongs in a WVU thread but a friend of mine went to a coaches caravan here in Parkersburg at JP Henry's. When asked about this upcoming season, Stewart responded "Well, I don't think we will be as good as we have been, but we are going to give it our all." This was said at a FUNDRAISER. At least he's honest, lol.

As a UK fan, i've always compared Stewart to Tubby Smith. A good coach and a good family man, will put up a pretty high winning percentage to keep job security. At the end of the day though, is not somebody who will likely ever lead a team to a national championship by himself (I say that because Tubby won it all with Pitino's players).

Again, I'm far from a Stewart fan, but I think the lack of WVU "star quality" can be attributed more to the loss of Pat White than it can be attributed to Stewart. BS has brought in more talent in his 3 years at the helm (ratings wise) than RR ever did (RR has a career losing record with out PW). We're yet to see that translate to on field success, because I think he has serious inabilities as a game coach.

For the record, I was all for WVU getting Butch Jones back in '08 when RR fled. I think it's a great hire for UC, but I'm not sure UC will get back to the levels of success they had under Brian Kelly.
    Last edited by Homer Bailey; 07-21-2010 at 11:50 AM.

Backdoor perfection? Would this make UC 13-0 if Florida has to forfeit?

Pouncey's agent is Joel Segal, but the allegation is not necessarily tied to him. If the allegation is proven true, however, Pouncey could be ruled ineligible for the Sugar Bowl game and Florida might have to vacate that victory over Cincinnati among other potential penalties.
    Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz0uLGhlFNI
    Last edited by texasdave; 07-21-2010 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Again, I'm far from a Stewart fan, but I think the lack of WVU "star quality" can be attributed more to the loss of Pat White than it can be attributed to Stewart. BS has brought in more talent in his 3 years at the helm (ratings wise) than RR ever did (RR has a career losing record with out PW). We're yet to see that translate to on field success, because I think he has serious inabilities as a game coach.

For the record, I was all for WVU getting Butch Jones back in '08 when RR fled. I think it's a great hire for UC, but I'm not sure UC will get back to the levels of success they had under Brian Kelly.
    Pat White (and Slaton before him) leaving obviously is going to sting, but its what you do to replace them both in terms of recruits and coaching them up. Rodriguez is the only one who would have been capable of doing that in Morgantown.

Stewart has brought them in, but the talent well is going to eventually dry up with Doc Holliday moving to Huntington. I don't think Holliday will have a massive impact at Marshall, but his loss will be felt in Morgantown, as Stewart is pretty much the equivalent of "The Emperor without any Clothes".

Pat White (and Slaton before him) leaving obviously is going to sting, but its what you do to replace them both in terms of recruits and coaching them up. Rodriguez is the only one who would have been capable of doing that in Morgantown.

Stewart has brought them in, but the talent well is going to eventually dry up with Doc Holliday moving to Huntington. I don't think Holliday will have a massive impact at Marshall, but his loss will be felt in Morgantown, as Stewart is pretty much the equivalent of "The Emperor without any Clothes".
    http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...44#post2166444

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Backdoor perfection? Would this make UC 13-0 if Florida has to forfeit?

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz0uLGhlFNI
    No. Florida wouldn't have to forfeit, they'd have to vacate the win.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Turn Off Ads?