Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 UC Football

Re: 2010 UC Football Official Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Weird argument man.
    Definitely. It seems silly to argue about whether or not a team can have a band wagon and whether someone has jumped off.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Try and explain to me what "one place" entails? Makes no sense.

So if something is popular in the USA and not the world is that "just one place"?

Weird argument man.
    "Mass appeal" and "everyone in Cincinnati likes it" are not synonyms. That's my point.

Quote Originally Posted by Fon Duc Tow View Post
    "Mass appeal" and "everyone in Cincinnati likes it" are not synonyms. That's my point.
    I think their points are mass appeal is relative.

By your definition nothing has mass appeal. Is there anything that more than 10% of the world population uses.(Maybe Coca Cola?)
    Is there any team that more than 10% of the US population supports?(Maybe the Yankees though I doubt it.)
    Even narrowing it down to Cincinnati, there's a large percentage of people who don't care about sports at all.(We call these people boring people.)

To say that within the scope of the sports following population in and around Cincinnati(which is the only sample of people that UC cares about,) the Bearcats have acheived a mass appeal of mainly bandwagon fans is accurate.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post

To say that within the scope of the sports following population in and around Cincinnati(which is the only sample of people that UC cares about,) the Bearcats have acheived a mass appeal of mainly bandwagon fans is accurate.

Is the New York sports following population the only sample of people the Yankees care about? Nope.

Is the Los Angeles sports following population the only sample of people the Lakers care about? No sir.

And why is that?

Because they have mass appeal to the global baseball and basketball following community.

Now... Is the cincinnati sports following population the only sample of people the Bearcats care about?

Yep. I agree with you there 100 percent. And why is the cincinnati sports following population the only group the bearcats care about?

BECAUSE THEY DON'T HAVE MASS APPEAL AND NEVER WILL. (and therefore, no bandwagon.)

Thank you for helping to illustrate this.

Proof that people really will argue about anything over the internet.

Seems to me there can be a bandwagon no matter how big or small of a 'thing' you are talking about. Hell, there are bandwagon boys high school basketball fans in my town.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post

Seems to me there can be a bandwagon no matter how big or small of a 'thing' you are talking about. Hell, there are bandwagon boys high school basketball fans in my town.
    band-wag-on

a party, cause, movement, etc., that by its mass appeal or strength readily attracts many followers:

Sorry man but a high school team cannot by definition have a bandwagon. It must be a Cincinnati thing (not knowing what a bandwagon is).

I've never seen so much misuse of the word.

The last time I remember seeing it was 2005 when the Bengals went to the playoffs for the first time in 15 years. People were all like "look at all the bandwagon fans." The Bengals Bandwagon is parked in between the Montreal Expos and Detroit Lions bandwagons. In the parking lot of "wrong use of that word."

Maybe its because our sports teams usually aren't very good. So at the first sign of even modest success, all the longtime fans try their hardest to play the bandwagon card. They want to have a bandwagon sooo bad, they really do. Then they might be included with the big boys.

But sorry, no. Not in Cincinnati. The only way you have a bandwagon here is if you don't know what bandwagon means.

Show me a small market bandwagon (except for the Steelers, curiously enough, but 6 rings will do that) and I'll show you someone who doesn't know what the definition of a bandwagon is.

band-wag-on

a party, cause, movement, etc., that by its mass appeal or strength readily attracts many followers:

Sorry man but a high school team cannot by definition have a bandwagon. It must be a Cincinnati thing (not knowing what a bandwagon is).

The last time I remember seeing it was 2005 when the Bengals went to the playoffs for the first time in 15 years. People were all like "look at all the bandwagon fans." The Bengals Bandwagon is parked in between the Montreal Expos and Detroit Lions bandwagons. In the parking lot of "wrong use of that word."

Maybe its because our sports teams usually aren't very good. So at the first sign of even modest success, all the longtime fans try their hardest to play the bandwagon card. They want to have a bandwagon sooo bad, they really do. Then they might be included with the big boys.

But sorry, no. Not in Cincinnati. The only way you have a bandwagon here is if you don't know what bandwagon means.

Show me a small market bandwagon (except for the Steelers, curiously enough, but 6 rings will do that) and I'll show you someone who doesn't know what the definition of a bandwagon is.
    I'm glad you've gotten the dictionary out twice but again mass appeal is a relative thing. Do the Lakers have a "mass appeal?" Probably not when compared to Manchester United or FC Barcelona. Outside of the US, China, and a few other places, basketball just doesn't have a mass appeal.

I guess my question to you would be what defines mass? Does it have to exist outside of Cincinnati? That seems to be your definition which is fine.
    But there's definately a mass of people in Cincinnati. There will be a mass of people at the Reds game tonight. There will be a mass of people at mass on Sunday.(Forgive me, I couldn't pass it up.)

In any event, unless you define exactly how many people constitute a mass, than it's hard to say whether there's a "mass appeal."
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

band-wag-on

I think YOU'RE the one who's using the term incorrectly.

AAA High School has 4 fans at their team's opening bball game. Last season they won 2 games.

At the end of the season, as they ride a 25 game winning streak, 1300 people show up for their final home game.

Now, what kind of fans do you call those who showed up at the end of the season? (Hint: 2 words)

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post

I guess my question to you would be what defines mass? Does it have
    I would say a great number of people of the given category. For example, the Lakers have mass appeal in the basketball watching sports community. Ditto for the Yankees in the baseball sports watching community.

But the Reds, Bengals, and Bearcats? Pulllease.

We all ate mashed potatos at the dinner table last night. But we didn't the night before. Are we all on the mashed potatos bandwagon? Pretty small sample size if you ask me. So where do you draw the line? "Mass appeal" sounds pretty big to me.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    AAA High School has 4 fans at their team's opening bball game. Last season they won 2 games.

At the end of the season, as they ride a 25 game winning streak, 1300 people show up for their final home game.

Now, what kind of fans do you call those who showed up at the end of the season? (Hint: 2 words)
    I know you are going for band wagon. But dictionary.com disagrees with you. Also, bandwagon is one word. But if you are going to misuse the word, I guess you can make it as many words as you like.

derrrrr, you fail, the answer we were looking for is 'bandwagon fans.'

And I know how many words 'bandwagon' is, check post 35 if you need proof.
    Last edited by WMR; 07-16-2010 at 04:43 PM.

Let's get this thread back on topic.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Preview 2010 - Big East

The Top Quarterbacks
    1. Zach Collaros, Jr. Cincinnati

Although they didn’t know it at the time, the Bearcats got a gift when Tony Pike was injured last fall. It allowed the 6-0, 216-pound Collaros to pick some valuable experience that’s sure to serve him well over the next two years. He was a revelation during a five-game stretch, all Cincy wins, finishing 93-of-124 for 1,434 yards, 10 touchdowns, and two picks. Of equal importance, he rushed for 344 yards and four scores on 57 carries. He was clutch in wins over South Florida and West Virginia, and prolific versus lesser opponents. His combination of athleticism and accurate throws on the intermediate routes is a perfect for Butch Jones’ spread attack.
    http://cfn.scout.com/2/973349.html
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 07-16-2010 at 06:38 PM.

Retired

band-wag-on

Stu-pid

Continual posts bickering about the use of "mass appeal" and band-wag-on.

Turn Off Ads?