Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 UC Football

Re: 2010 UC Football Official Discussion Thread

I'm not a UC fan, but c'mon guys, you gotta give the guy some time. There is going to be some transition pain whenever there is a coaching change. UC will be fine. Jones is a good coach, and I wish WVU would have offered him.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Let the Kragthorpe comparisons begin. Ugh.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

I can't remember the last time I have seen a coach act so panicked on the sideline. That guy has to change his demeanor if he wants to be a big time coach.

I don't think UC had the depth to have 4-5 good years. Their recruiting has been very average recently.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    I can't remember the last time I have seen a coach act so panicked on the sideline. That guy has to change his demeanor if he wants to be a big time coach.

I don't think UC had the depth to have 4-5 good years. Their recruiting has been very average recently.
    Most of that falls onto Kelly's shoulders, not Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    Most of that falls onto Kelly's shoulders, not Jones.
    I just think it's a byproduct of UC having no tradition and trying to recruit into Clifton. It's almost impossible to have sustained success there, IMO.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Really, really early observation: I'm not sure if Collaros can be "the guy". Teams were not prepared for him last year. Fresno made it look like he was tipping his pitches so to speak. Once Fresno started controlling the line, Collaros looked panicked and it showed in his decision making. It's still just one game, but after a full offseason and camp leading to this game, you want to see better, especially out of a guy that's been a winner since he was a pee-wee quarterback.

As an outsider I was questioning the Jones hire when it happened, but one game 2,000 miles from home, in a tough place, against a respectable team isn't a big warning sign just yet, IMO. Fresno just won the game up front, not really by scheme and planning.

Rough weekend for the Big East. Not gonna help them win respect points around the nation.
    Last edited by guttle11; 09-05-2010 at 01:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    Rough weekend for the Big East. Not gonna help them win respect points around the nation.
    Yep, pretty much a worst case scenario all around.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

The coaching staff seemed to make zero in-game adjustments. Or if they did make any, they didn't work one iota.

The play calling was terrible, and it reminded me of the Dave Shula Bengal years. Screen plays, swing plays and five yard dump offs. The vaunted UC offense refused to try to stretch the field. An offense that averaged 39 points last year puts up 14 tonight. It was a sad but true tale.

Collaros looked flustered. I wasn't entirely sold on him last season, and I'm still not sold on him now. Chazz Anderson certainly isn't the answer. Though I might give Collaros some benefit of the doubt tonight, if only because ...

The offensive line stunk. I think they played better against Florida than they did tonight. They gave Pead no chance to open up holes in the running game, and they totally collapsed in pass protection.

This is the worst game I've seen from UC since their last regular season loss when they were blown out at Connecticut in 2008. Sure, they'd lost two bowl games since then, but in those games they were outplayed by high caliber talent. Tonight, they just folded away when the pressure came.

UC will blow out Indiana State next week, but that will tell us nothing. We have to wait until September 16th to figure out what in the world is going on. If things don't turn around by that point, I don't want want to think about what could happen at PBS on the 25th.
    Last edited by Cyclone792; 09-05-2010 at 01:43 AM.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

takealeake

BEAST looks really horrible, but hey, as a Louisville fan that gives me hope of a bowl this season even with a decimated roster. :

And Bearcat fans, trust me, you have a LONG LONG way to go before making Kragthorpe comparisons. I've seen the bottom, and this ain't it.

O-line lost that game with out a doubt.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    As an outsider I was questioning the Jones hire when it happened, but one game 2,000 miles from home, in a tough place, against a respectable team isn't a big warning sign just yet, IMO. Fresno just won the game up front, not really by scheme and planning.
    Outside of 3 or 4 top-quality non-BCS programs (TCU, Boise, Utah, BYU types), BCS schools should dominate non-BCS schools no matter where the games are played. Under no circumstance should they ever get soundly beaten the way UC was tonight. There's absolutely no excuse for losing to non-BCS level program. When it happens, the blame should always fall squarely on the coaching staff and players for allowing inferior competition to beat them.

UC showed up with no gameplan whatsoever. They played dink and dunk and rarely got the ball into the hands of playmakers with space to work with. Collaros went from sure and confident last year under Kelly to hesitant and tentative in this game. He played like a guy who wasn't sure what he was supposed to be doing on any given play, and who was looking to check down immediately on every throw. There was no tempo either -- too much time standing around between plays, no attempt to push the defense on the rare instances where the offense started to build momentum.

Butch Jones is looking like a disaster already -- out of his league and out of his element. Any hopes of crashing the national stage this year are completely over.

So much for another exciting year of UC Football.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Give Fresno State some credit. They are in the same category as Utah, BYU, TCU, BSU, with more quality out of conference games. They just lose more, but they sit on fertile recruiting grounds, and typically have several transfers from players in the PAC10 that were looking for playing time.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Outside of 3 or 4 top-quality non-BCS programs (TCU, Boise, Utah, BYU types), BCS schools should dominate non-BCS schools no matter where the games are played. Under no circumstance should they ever get soundly beaten the way UC was tonight. There's absolutely no excuse for losing to non-BCS level program. When it happens, the blame should always fall squarely on the coaching staff and players for allowing inferior competition to beat them.

UC showed up with no gameplan whatsoever. They played dink and dunk and rarely got the ball into the hands of playmakers with space to work with. Collaros went from sure and confident last year under Kelly to hesitant and tentative in this game. He played like a guy who wasn't sure what he was supposed to be doing on any given play, and who was looking to check down immediately on every throw. There was no tempo either -- too much time standing around between plays, no attempt to push the defense on the rare instances where the offense started to build momentum.

Butch Jones is looking like a disaster already -- out of his league and out of his element. Any hopes of crashing the national stage this year are completely over.

So much for another exciting year of UC Football.
    I don't think I'd call Fresno inferior to UC. Fresno has been a very good program for a while, and going out there to play a game isn't easy by any stretch of the imagination.

Lot of room on that UC bandwagon now that everyone's jumping off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Geez, how long have you been a UC fan?!? Did you feel this way when UC was in C-USA?

Turn Off Ads?