Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fay: Trade Harang

Fay: Trade Harang

Reds Should Trade Harang

Harang's been good enough following a 7.16 ERA in five April starts that a contending team might take a flyer on him at the deadline.

Starting pitching is always the top commodity at the deadline. Harang is 5-4 with a 4.26 ERA in his last 11 starts. Pitching in a home park less conducive to home runs would likely help his numbers.

If Volquez comes back strong, you have to think the Reds will take a hard look at moving Harang....

Shortstop is a position the Reds need to address down the line. If they decide to part ways with Harang, a shortstop of the future should be high on the list.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: Fay: Trade Harang

I suppose you'd have to find someone dumb enough to take him...
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

High five!

I think one of the few differences between Harang and Mike Leake is the HR/9 rate and $$$. I think Harang is one of the Reds 3 best pitchers. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing.

I would be all for trading Fay though!

I think Harang is one of the Reds 3 best pitchers.
    Are you saying you think he's better than 2 of the following: Arroyo, Leake, Rhodes, Cueto??

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

The only reason the Reds would trade him, I suspect, if it's to clear salary space to take on a Cliff Lee, Dan Haren, etc.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Harang is definitely the guy to try to move, IMO. So far as I can tell, he just can't get anything out of his breaking stuff any more. He might break off a good one here and there, but it's rare. If he doesn't have good command of the fastball, he's very vulnerable.

I don't see any takers, unless he strings together a bunch of good starts over the next 5 weeks (in which case, they'll have to think twice about trading him).

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I suppose you'd have to find someone dumb enough to take him...
    Yeah I don't really see anyone desperate enough to take him on. Best case scenario we would have to take back a similiar contract. Maybe the Mets but are they really a contender? I'm sure Luis Castillo would be in that deal. I just don't see a realistic match anywhere.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I'd move him if I had a plan to add a TOR. I wouldn't put all my eggs in the Volquez basket.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Yeah I don't really see anyone desperate enough to take him on. Best case scenario we would have to take back a similiar contract. Maybe the Mets but are they really a contender? I'm sure Luis Castillo would be in that deal. I just don't see a realistic match anywhere.
    Yea his contract and declining stuff will make him very difficult to move.

is there any chance that harangs a type a or b free agent after this year and we could get some draft picks for him? I would think theres a least a decent chance that arroyo would be a type a.

Quote Originally Posted by dunner13 View Post
    is there any chance that harangs a type a or b free agent after this year and we could get some draft picks for him? I would think theres a least a decent chance that arroyo would be a type a.
    zero.

if the team declined his option & then offered him arbitration he would take it.

Quote Originally Posted by dunner13 View Post
    How does that work? You have to decline their option and then offer them arb. Is that legal?

Trade Harang for a young SS? Sounds great John.

Then trade Chris Dickerson for Cliff Lee and we'll be all set.

The only team I could envision with remote interest in a deal like that would be the Dodgers, but due to the ownership situation their payroll seems to be shrinking. As per the other thread, maybe the Reds could trade Harang, Stubbs, and Wood for Matt Kemp. Then turn around and trade Alonso and Mesoraco for Cliff Lee. Then wake me up after we win the World Series.
    Last edited by Benihana; 06-25-2010 at 02:53 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

If you trade Harang, you aren't likely to get salary relief from it. And if you do get salary relief, that's pretty much all you're going to get.

I find it interesting that Fay mentioned just the top 4 starters. Does the 5th not matter?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    How does that work? You have to decline their option and then offer them arb. Is that legal?
    Nope. It's not. If there's an option to be exercised, teams cannot get any compensation.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Turn Off Ads?