Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fay: Trade Harang

Re: Fay: Trade Harang

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    If you trade Harang, you aren't likely to get salary relief from it. And if you do get salary relief, that's pretty much all you're going to get.

I find it interesting that Fay mentioned just the top 4 starters. Does the 5th not matter?

Agree 100%. The other side will consider that it has given the Reds plenty in taking on whatever part of the contract can be settled on. Given that fact, I think we keep him as long as we're in it from the recognition he's good insurance against injury/weariness on the part of the young uns.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Harang would bring very little in return. The Reds will have to trade Arroyo and Cordero to get a "SS of the future" prospect.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    Are you saying you think he's better than 2 of the following: Arroyo, Leake, Rhodes, Cueto??

I should say, "starting pitchers." I think he's better than Arroyo and Bailey.

Starting pitching is always a worry.

I think Bailey's shoulder will be a problem for a while still, things are going too well with Volquez and he's due for a setback (you know it will happen), who knows what level of success Chapman will have, and Leake needs innings alleviation.

Arroyo, Cueto, and Harang have been the innings horses. If the Reds are serious about contending (and I sure as heck hope they are), I see that continuing throuugh the end of the season.

Of course, if Aaron pitches well and the Reds get their socks knocked off with an offer for him, that's when Jocketty earns his keep and makes a tough decision. I'd like that to happen but I don't think it will.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Harang would bring very little in return. The Reds will have to trade Arroyo and Cordero to get a "SS of the future" prospect.
    Cordero's stock is free falling right now. It's not just his performance either. That $12 Million dollar price tag is a big reason. If he was making $6-8 Million it might be more attractive to pick him up as a top flight set up man. No team contending would pay $12 Mil for a set up guy next year. Honestly there is no one on the Reds roster who is capible of saving games better than Cordero.

Sad.

Arroyo is untradible just because this team needs a innings eater. Harang has seemingly lost that ability so dumping Arroyo could cause the team to rely on its weakest link (bullpen) more often.

I'd move Harang, Nix and maybe Dickerson to the Mets for a swap of Castillo, Chris Carter and cash. Carter has shown extreme SLG and OBP skills in the minors as well as a low K rate. He would be an upgrade over Nix as a LH PH. Could be a replacement to Gomes in LF next year if he tails of at the end of the year...If not cheap controllable in house option.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    If you trade Harang, you aren't likely to get salary relief from it. And if you do get salary relief, that's pretty much all you're going to get.

I find it interesting that Fay mentioned just the top 4 starters. Does the 5th not matter?
    The 5th is injured. Bailey & Volquez. So he was referring to the healthy starters. LeCure is a fill-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Trade Harang for a young SS? Sounds great John.

Then trade Chris Dickerson for Cliff Lee and we'll be all set.
    This is what I thought too. What team in their right mind would trade a SS of the future for 3-4 months of Harang?

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    This is what I thought too. What team in their right mind would trade a SS of the future for 3-4 months of Harang?
    If the Reds payed his whole salary, including his buyout. He's a solid back of the rotation starter, that a team in contention could use to eat up innings down the stretch. If he doesn't add to their payroll, that should be worth a good prospect, although I doubt one better than Cozart.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

I think the Reds should be the contender to take a flyer on him.

He's been one of our best starters since his first 5 starts.

In case anyone hasn't noticed, our starters haven't been all that great this year.

I'd be surprised if at any time this year Harang doesn't rank among our best 5 starters.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post

In case anyone hasn't noticed, our starters haven't been all that great this year.

I'd be surprised if at any time this year Harang doesn't rank among our best 5 starters.
    I agree with this, Puffy. I know we're not used to it, but the Reds are a contending team this year. We should be buyers, not sellers. If we trade Harang, it should be with some prospects to improve our starting pitching (or some other part of the team). I'm certainly not interested in trading Harang while Lecure is pitching every 5th day.

I'm uninterested in salary relief this year. It seems like a lot of folks are thinking that we don't really have a shot this year and should plan for next year. But I read on this site a few years ago that "you don't pick the year, the year picks you." Who knows, with injuries and free agency, maybe this is the best year we are going to see for a while--go for it!
    Win some, lose some, some get rained out.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    If the Reds payed his whole salary, including his buyout. He's a solid back of the rotation starter, that a team in contention could use to eat up innings down the stretch. If he doesn't add to their payroll, that should be worth a good prospect, although I doubt one better than Cozart.
    I cannot imagine any scenario where they would trade Harang and pay his salary and get a SS of the future, as Fay suggests. Sure, they could get a player worse than Cozart...but is that a SS of the future?

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post

yep. Harang's worth more to this team than anything they'd get for him, including salary relief. he's pitching pretty solidly right now, and is a fine, workmanlike cog in the rotation of a contender, which the Reds finally are.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

I've been more and more impressed by Harang here lately. I'd say if he can really lock down and be a 3.25-3.50 ERA pitcher the rest of the way, the Reds will have the division locked up. Granted that is a hypothetical, but man its been a few years since we've been able to count on him.

Go get 'em Aaron.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

If you can trade Harang, and free up money to bring in players that help now, then do it. The Reds shouldn't be in dumping mode otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    If you can trade Harang, and free up money to bring in players that help now, then do it. The Reds shouldn't be in dumping mode otherwise.
    I'd agree, but what contender is out there thinking, "Man I'd love to give up some players to take Aaron Harang and the salary that comes with him". I can only see the Reds netting 2-3 million at best...thats not gonna buy much.

Turn Off Ads?