Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should The Reds Trade A Young Pitcher?

Should The Reds Trade A Young Pitcher?

I'm talking about Volquez, Cueto, Leake and Bailey at the trading deadline to improve the club for the stretch run. Obviously, Harang and Arroyo would be the more preferable pitchers to move but other clubs want what the Reds wants to keep. So if the right deal is out there, should they peddle one of their young arms?
    Last edited by Krusty; 06-26-2010 at 09:24 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Should The Reds Trade A Young Pitcher?

I wouldn't as a rule, but, if bowled over, I might part with one of them.

Being bowled over, however, would be different for each of them.

It's risky. Look at what happened to the Mets when they traded Kasmir away - they thought they saw a flaw in Kazmir so they traded him for a veteran.
    I believe Walt will trade anyone based on what the return is, though.
    Good to see you again Krusty!

Bailey, but I doubt he is going to get much return, esp. with the first signs of arm trouble hitting this year. The rest I think begs the question of being able to get enough return to make the team better for the stretch run.

Since the Reds are contending and have two very strong candidates of difference makers in Volquez and Chapman coming soon, I see them looking for roster raiding of non-contenders moreso than a slobber knocker.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

I've been saying all along that the Reds should trade one of Bailey/Cueto.

With volquez and Chapmen likely to be in the rotation next year, that would give them 4 flyball pitchers in GABP. Three is probably too many, but four is unacceptable. Hold onto Leake. He's perfect for the park.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Cueto leans toward a groundball pitcher.

Cueto has neutral batted ball tendencies
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Cueto has neutral batted ball tendencies
    I was trying to figure that out on the stats. Pardon my ignorance, but a ratio of .87 Groundouts to all outs means what? I am not being smart alec, I really don't know and am too lazy to research it

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I was trying to figure that out on the stats. Pardon my ignorance, but a ratio of .87 Groundouts to all outs means what? I am not being smart alec, I really don't know and am too lazy to research it
    He's induced roughly the same number of ground balls and flyballs (his GB% and FB% are roughly equal for his career).

A ground balll pitcher would have a ratio greater than 1...
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I would trade Bailey in the right deal, for sure.

As others have said, I'd have to be completely bowled over to trade Cueto or Volquez.

I wouldn't trade Leake, unless it was in a deal for Strasburg or David Price.
    Go BLUE!!!

No. The Reds are finally winning because they have a group of young inexpensive players making big contributions. (Votto, Leake, Bruce, Stubbs, Cueto, etc.)

The continued success over next couple years is dependent on replacing Harang, Arroyo and Cordero with inexpensive replacements.

High five!

Bailey, yes but his value is lower than it would've been in the offseason. Of course, trading him in the offseason would've seemed bad because of his tantalizingly good finish to the end of the year. That's always the problem with knowing when to "sell high."

When I look at the salaries commanded by even mediocre starting pitchers, I believe the Reds need to hold onto Volquez, Cueto, Leake and Bailey, especially during their affordable years. I can't even imagine what would likely be offered that might be a "blow the Reds away" offer.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

It's a tough call, although of course for the right return I think you have to be willing to trade any player.
    But I don't think the club will trade Cueto or Leake; Bailey and Volquez are at the low end of their possible value; and I'm pretty much convinced, anyway, that trading Wood will come to seem a mistake inevitably--and sooner rather than later.

No. The only one I was contemplate trading is Homer Bailey but like Nate said, his value has probably dropped some after the shoulder injury. I'm still not ready to give up on Homer though. He may not ever develop into an ace but I think he has a chance to be an above average starter someday. According to Jerry Crasnick of ESPN, the Reds think Bailey's early season struggles were due to him tipping his pitches. His final two starts before going on the DL were very good.

Back to the original question - I would hold on to the young pitching. As the saying goes, you can never have enough pitching.

Turn Off Ads?