Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Raw but talented Hamilton working to find potential with Mustangs

Re: Raw but talented Hamilton working to find potential with Mustangs

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    You have got to be kidding me, is that real and Billy Hamilton? That dude can flat get up and he looked like he could have went higher, Billy "His Airness" Hamilton? I always thought of him as an elite level athlete but even in those thoughts I just didn't see that coming, extremely impressive. BTW someone said a switch hitting BP, I'm thinking Jose Reyes level athlete.

On his hitting, he can always give up the switch hitting at some point and he is what 19 right now? If he reaches MLB bye 2015 he will still have made it in a reasonable time frame. That is a long time to get things figured out, as a matter of fact I'll give him until 2011 is over before I start to get concerned about him, mid 2012 before I start to think he has no shot. Just let him play and learn until then IMO.
    Yea its Hamilton and its real.

He sounds like a possible Jose Reyes type of talent to me also.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Bump. 3 weeks later, as expected, Hamilton has been shining- posting an .827 OPS without a single HR (batting .300 with 4 3Bs). If he can develop any kind of power, look out. Even without it, he could be a hell of a catalyst as a leadoff hitter.

The nucleus of Hamilton, Arias, Yorman and Duran is going to be very fun to follow through the minors. Dayton will be a nice place to see a game next summer.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Show me a high school hitter drafted in the first two rounds who started to switch hit upon entering pro ball.
    This article names some players, none early rounders. But it does indicate that it takes time and it's not unheard of for a player to begin switch hitting in the pros (even in the majors). Ted Simmons said the earlier a player starts switch hitting, the better, but again, it has been done. And results early on for those switching later were, at times, abysmal.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/column...tim&id=2475203
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

“I’m starting to understand what these pitchers are trying to do to me,” the switch-hitting Hamilton said. “I watch the defense and I pick my spots. I try to work on that spot particularly, so it’s working pretty good.”
    http://www.billingsgazette.com/sport...cc4c03286.html

doesnt it seem pretty advanced for him to be actively trying to pick spots to hit the ball? I know guys have an idea but how that sounds its like something Luis Castillo would say.

Mustangs manager Delino DeShields knows Hamilton’s worth. So does everyone who watches him: Hamilton was voted to the Pioneer League’s all-star team earlier on Monday.

“To me he’s the MVP of this league,” DeShields said. “If you take him out of our lineup we go downhill in a hurry. The stuff he does out there, you can’t teach guys.”
    http://billingsgazette.com/sports/ba...cc4c002e0.html

I love this kid. I hope he moves back to SS and can stick there. He's become my favorite prospect.

Last night Jamie Ramsey was asked why Billy Hamilton played mostly second base this season and he said he would ask someone in the Reds organization about it today. Well, here's his answer:

@jinazreds I got word that Billy Hamilton is a prospect at both positions and that he's playing second for added versatility.

http://twitter.com/Jamieblog

Resident PED Expert

And proves Kevin Goldstein is lazy...

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    And proves Kevin Goldstein is lazy...
    Or they asked two different people and got two different answers.

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Or they asked two different people and got two different answers.
    Lol. God I hope not. I would hope the development people would be on the same page. I am more inclined to believe he is still an option at SS.

Walt, like the G.M. before him, believes that minor leaguers should be ready at several positions as the needs of the parent club can change from year-to-year.

You can see it in his approach to others and their defensive switches.

The minor leagues is for development, and a player that's developed at more than one position is more valuable.

When I was talking about Valaika in the other thread, I mentioned that Walt could use one more year of Phillips at the Major League level, while seasoning Valaika again at AAA, if only to see how fast Hamilton can progress at 2nd Base during 2011.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 11-17-2010 at 08:19 PM.

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Walt could use one more year of Phillips at the Major League level, while seasoning Valaika again at AAA, if only to see how fast Hamilton can progress at 2nd Base during 2011.
    I think Henry Rodriguez is being very undervalued at this stage. I truly believe he is the Long Term Second Baseman of the future. As a 20 year old on a horrible Dayton squad he OPS'd .810, commited only 14 E's in 113 games. (Arias committed 25 in 43, Gregorious 31 in 119) Swiped 33 bases and had 54 XBH. Not to shabby for a guy who had never played above Rookie Ball. I could see him in Cincy by late 2012. Redsof72 said he has some other issues to work on some at the plate some of the field but I am hopeful he turns out a top 3 to 5 Prospect.

I like Rodriguez, but the questions of his attitude and work ethic really worry me and drop him a few spots.

Second base has quietly become an interesting position in the organization. Hamilton is of course the wildcard, but if you include him, the inventory under Phillips looks something like this:

Valaika
    Kahaulelio
    Buchholz
    Puckett
    Rodriguez
    Hamilton
    Torreyes
    Diaz
    and maybe some guys who don't stick at SS

Turn Off Ads?