Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Position battles for the 2011 Reds

Position battles for the 2011 Reds

aka Resolving the bottleneck between AAA and the Reds.

Not going to attempt to post depth charts 1-2 years from now, because so much will change that it is almost an exercise in futility. But I do think there are some interesting match-ups to look at that will be coming up next year, with the loser(s) being either pushed back down to AAA or out of the organization.

1. Chris Heisey vs. Chris Dickerson vs. Laynce Nix

IMO, there is only one spot for the backup OF that plays all three OF positions. Dickerson and Nix are both LH, while Heisey may have the highest offensive ceiling of the three.

My pick: Heisey due to the upside potential. Dickerson can't seem to stay healthy and Nix is what he is at this point. With Francisco or Alonso on the roster, we won't need the extra lefty bat on the bench. If Dickerson can come back from his injury, they could probably use him or Nix as a piece in a trade for pitching help this season.

2. Chris Valaika vs. Drew Sutton vs. Todd Frazier

The utility infielder spot. Valaika and Fraizer are both RH, and all three can play 1B, 2B, or 3B at the big league level. Sutton probably plays all three the best, with Valaika better at 2B and Fraizer better at 1B. Fraizer and Sutton can also play LF, adding to their value. Of the three, Fraizer probably has the most offensive upside, and should be an early favorite for this battle.

My pick: Frazier if he turns around his season in the second half of 2010, as he has the most upside and can stand in at 3B or LF, the two positions most likely to need support. If Frazier continues to flounder in the minors, than I'd like to see Valaika get his shot, considering how well he has hit this year. Unfortunately he has considerably less versatility than both Sutton and Frazier.

3. Juan Francisco vs. Yonder Alonso

The power hitting LH bat off the bench and/or platoon partner with Jonny Gomes for LF. Francisco certainly has more defensive value, as he could be a viable backup/injury replacement for Rolen at 3B, and has more experience playing LF than Alonso. Plus, Francisco has been able to hold his own in brief stints in the majors. Either player could also spell Joey Votto at 1B should he require a trip to the DL.

My pick: Francisco is more likely to stick in the bigs first, especially due to his relative defensive versatility. Alonso has far from wowed in the minors, and could ostensibly use more seasoning both offensively and defensively (if he's not traded first.)

4. Zack Cozart vs. Paul Janish

There may be room for both if Cabrera does not return, although they profile to similar types of defense-first SS. If a veteran is brought in next year, there is only room for one of them on the big league roster.

My pick: Let Cabrera walk and start the season with both. If neither one hits enough, send Cozart down and look to acquire a SS.

5. Travis Wood vs. Matt Maloney

Most likely, one of these southpaws will be shipped off in a trade in the next six weeks. If not, there could still feasibly be room for both of them on the roster- if one pitches out of the bullpen. Wood is much younger and seems to be the better prospect, while Maloney has had some effectiveness at the big league level.

My pick: One will probably be traded, but look for Maloney to go to the 'pen.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Resident PED Expert

Re: Position battles for the 2011 Reds

Don't forget Perez out of Cuba. I would expect him to make a push as the 5th outfielder next year with his defensive versatility and speed. His stick is the key. Also guys like Sean Henry and Sapplet should both be in AAA by seasons end and could become dark horses... Specifically Sapplet.

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    Don't forget Perez out of Cuba. I would expect him to make a push as the 5th outfielder next year with his defensive versatility and speed. His stick is the key. Also guys like Sean Henry and Sapplet should both be in AAA by seasons end and could become dark horses... Specifically Sapplet.
    Of the three you mentioned, Felix Perez is probably the most likely to be in consideration for a spot on next year's team. Sean Henry is falling by the organizational wayside a la Danny Dorn no matter what kind of numbers he puts up, and Sappelt is putting up good numbers for the first time in his career.

That said, I still don't think Perez gets serious consideration until he starts putting up decent numbers in AA, let alone AAA. As of right now, he has yet to play a professional game in the United States. I don't think you can count on him earning a roster spot over a Chris Dickerson or Laynce Nix, at least not for next year.

Both Perez and Sappelt might be in consideration for a call-up in the second-half of 2011 if they can really impress in the upper minors. But as of now, that's a considerable if.
    Go BLUE!!!

If Sappelt still looks like he did at the plate in Dayton he will hit a big time wall in the upper minors.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    If Sappelt still looks like he did at the plate in Dayton he will hit a big time wall in the upper minors.
    Sapplet had a great start in Billings and was eh in Dayton. Once he got to Sarasota last year he looked pretty good. He followed that up this year by finding some gap power in his bat. I don't think he is a .330 hitter like he has shown in Carolina, but a ..270 to .290 hitter with speed and plus plus defense from a fourth or fifth outfielder isn't that wild of a stretch.

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't Nix a FA after this year? Do you expect the Reds to go out and resign him again this off-season? I can't see them doing that with the development of Heisey, Bruce and Stubbs locks, Gomes option picked up and Dickerson still so cheap. Not counting on Alonso, Frazier, Francisco, Sapplet, Dorn, Perez and Balentien all playing the OF...

Sapplet had a great start in Billings and was eh in Dayton. Once he got to Sarasota last year he looked pretty good. He followed that up this year by finding some gap power in his bat. I don't think he is a .330 hitter like he has shown in Carolina, but a ..270 to .290 hitter with speed and plus plus defense from a fourth or fifth outfielder isn't that wild of a stretch.

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't Nix a FA after this year? Do you expect the Reds to go out and resign him again this off-season? I can't see them doing that with the development of Heisey, Bruce and Stubbs locks, Gomes option picked up and Dickerson still so cheap. Not counting on Alonso, Frazier, Francisco, Sapplet, Dorn, Perez and Balentien all playing the OF...
    Laynce Nix is eligible for arbitration. Last year, the Reds non-tendered him (didn't offer arbitration) and then re-signed him to a minor league contract.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Laynce Nix is eligible for arbitration. Last year, the Reds non-tendered him (didn't offer arbitration) and then re-signed him to a minor league contract.
    That being the case, I doubt Nix is back next year.

Heisey
    Dickerson
    Fraizer
    Francisco
    Cozart/Janish
    Hernanigan

would be a solid bench for next year.
    Go BLUE!!!

I haven't seen him play, but remember Satterwhite is a hometown boy.
    He is also tearing up Dayton. What are the chances he at least gets a look?
    I remember bruce's rapid rise.

Anyone know the anything more about him?

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    I haven't seen him play, but remember Satterwhite is a hometown boy.
    He is also tearing up Dayton. What are the chances he at least gets a look?
    I remember bruce's rapid rise.

Anyone know the anything more about him?
    I'm not laughing at you, but I just had to chuckle when I saw Cameron Satterwhite and Jay Bruce mentioned in the same breath.

When it comes to Satterwhite, the player in the organization I think to compare him to is Juan Francisco. Unfortunately, Francisco hasn't been counted on much production due to his extreme lack of plate discipline. Satterwhite is in a similar boat, but the big difference is that Francisco is significantly more skilled. Therefore, Satterwhite is most likely a flash in the pan, but if he ever wants to become more than that, he'll have to learn to take a walk here and there.

Stat geek...and proud

They must not be high on Henry. In 2008 he and Heisey's numbers were quite similar in AA, and 2 years later Heisey is in the bigs and Henry isn't even at AAA yet. Maybe they think he's Stephen Smitherman redux.

Turn Off Ads?