Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can Votto, Phillips, Rolen, and Rhodes all make the ASG?

Can Votto, Phillips, Rolen, and Rhodes all make the ASG?

It's been a while since the Reds had so many players deserving of being an All-Star. But with the Reds in first place, I think we may see all four get invited.

Agree?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Can Votto, Phillips, Rolen, and Rhodes all make the ASG?

Votto - No he has Albert and Prince in front of him
    Phillips - maybe, especially with Utley going on the DL
    Rolen - Might, but would be better served to get the days off and rest body
    Rhodes - Doubtful, middle inning relievers ususaly don't and he is like Rolen, needs to rest body.

All of them having a strong series against the guy managing the NL team (carlie manual) could go a long way in making thier case.

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    Rhodes - Doubtful, middle inning relievers ususaly don't and he is like Rolen, needs to rest body.
    The idea that Prince Fielder is more deserving than Votto is laughable. Prince Fielder does exactly nothing better than Joey Votto.

In your opinion, and lets not forget the 1st basemen in SD, who might be the 2nd best right behind Albert.

Quote Originally Posted by Grande Donkey View Post
    The idea that Prince Fielder is more deserving than Votto is laughable. Prince Fielder does exactly nothing better than Joey Votto.

In your opinion, and lets not forget the 1st basemen in SD, who might be the 2nd best right behind Albert.
    One could make an argument for Gonzalez, but there is no way that Prince Fielder deserves to be on the all star game.

Why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Grande Donkey View Post
    One could make an argument for Gonzalez, but there is no way that Prince Fielder deserves to be on the all star game.

Why not?
    Pujols, Votto, and Gonzalez have better numbers in every statistical category and are all on winning teams. He is 7th among NL first basemen in OPS. Why should he make the team?

Last I checked Votto is only 160,000 votes behind Fielder for 4th. Fielder is hitting .250 this season and not having that great of a season. Pujols will the starter and it should be 2 of Howard, Gonzalez, and Votto rounding out the other 2 spots. Assuming they have 3 1B. They may take all 4 with it being played in Anaheim with the DH in tact.

Utley will likely be voted in at 2B but will have to skip due to injury. That should make it pretty much a lock that Phillips makes the squad, along with Dan "3 errors in one inning at the all-star game" Uggala.

Agree with Griffey012 on Votto.

Rolen is probably most deserving, but agree with BRM7675 that I'd rather see him say "pass".

Rhodes status will likely depend on what roster spots are left open after the manager finishes the mandatory one from every team selections.

I predict Phillips, Rhodes, and Rolen. I think Votto will get squeezed out by a 1B from a team that only has one representative (SD Gonazalez, WAS Dunn maybe)

I think Votto, Phillips and Rolen all get shafted for the all star game.

Id be surprised if Votto makes it. Pujols is going in for fan vote, Howard will go in because his manager is managing the team, and Gonzalez will make it as well. votto is 4th at best when it comes to chances of making the team.

Phillips probably has a better chance now that Utley is out. Prado is probably going to make it. Kelly Johnson probably makes it since no other Dback will be on there. That leaves Phillips, and the cast of Uggla, and Weeks.

Rolen should make it seeing that hes the best hitting 3rd baseman this year. He probably will, but I wouldnt be surprised if Zimmerman makes it because hes from the Nats, and Reynolds for the same reason Kelly Johnson might make it. I wouldnt be surprised if someone like Chipper Jones gets in because hes Chipper Jones.

If I was a betting man I'd say Rolen makes it and the other 2 dont. I dont know about Rhodes its so hard to tell. He deserves it for a handful of reasons, hes pitching great, and hes had a lot of great years in the league.

After tonight it will be really hard for Rhodes to get the nod. Still a fantastic ERA, but he is still not a closer which hurts him.

Votto better get in. He is better than Gonzalez in pretty much every major category (although it's close).

Rolen should get in, but he might be squeezed out due to numbers. Wright may be voted in. Zimmerman could be the only Nats player. 3 third baseman is possible, but he could be left out.

Phillips should be the slam dunk, especially with Utley on the DL.

If I had to stake my life on my thought, only Phillips goes. More deserve, but thats the name of this game, stats and performance dont really count for this one.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Votto Rolen and Phillips all had good series in front of the right man.

Hopefully they all make it.

Quote Originally Posted by scott91575 View Post
    Votto better get in. He is better than Gonzalez in pretty much every major category (although it's close).
    Just to play devils advocate if the numbers are close one plays his home games at great american launching pad while the other plays in petco park. I think all three should go but Gonzalez has a strong case if the numbers are not significantly different.

Turn Off Ads?