Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Jose Iglesias from Boston?

Jose Iglesias from Boston?

Now that Youk is supposedly out for the year, how much would it hurt Walt to call up Theo Epstein and float a Yonder for Jose Iglesias deal?

EDIT: I suppose it being after the deadline would play a part in that, perhaps it's not possible...
    Last edited by freestyle55; 08-05-2010 at 04:51 PM. Reason: duh

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jose Iglesias from Boston?

Iglesias has a .748 OPS at AA, no home runs in 147 AB's, and 27 K's to only 5 W's. Why would we want him, let alone trade Yonder Alonso for him?

To be fair, he's only 20 years old and plays very good defense, but yeah, I agree with you, HokieRed. No thanks.

That would be an interesting trade but I would doubt that the Red Sox would make that deal since they just gave Iglesias $6.5 million and hitting .300 in Double-A as a 20 year old shortstop with good defensive skills did nothing to prove them wrong.

Alonso's trade value is going to be interesting. I am not sure how it will be gauged. One thing we know for sure: at some point, he will be traded. It probably will happen before next spring. If you are the Reds, you probably need to get something done before opening day, 2011. If they keep him in the organization next season, he will be out of options and that will cut into his trade value. His big league contract cuts his value a bit. His inability to play anything other than first base hurts his value a little. Hard to really say what someone would give up for him. It only takes one team to make a good offer. It is an interesting situation.

Edit: When I said out of options, I meant that if they option him in 2011, that would be it. So whoever traded for him would know he could not be sent down.
    Last edited by redsof72; 08-05-2010 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    That would be an interesting trade but I would doubt that the Red Sox would make that deal since they just gave Iglesias $6.5 million and hitting .300 in Double-A as a 20 year old shortstop with good defensive skills did nothing to prove them wrong.

Alonso's trade value is going to be interesting. I am not sure how it will be gauged. One thing we know for sure: at some point, he will be traded. It probably will happen before next spring. If you are the Reds, you probably need to get something done before opening day, 2011. If they keep him in the organization next season, he will be out of options and that will cut into his trade value. His big league contract cuts his value a bit. His inability to play anything other than first base hurts his value a little. Hard to really say what someone would give up for him. It only takes one team to make a good offer. It is an interesting situation.

Edit: When I said out of options, I meant that if they option him in 2011, that would be it. So whoever traded for him would know he could not be sent down.
    So he can go back and forth from the minors to majors in 2011, but not 2012, right?
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

Exactly. That's why I think it would be too much of a risk to wait until after opening day of next season to trade him. What if, on April 15 of next season, he breaks his leg in Louisville and is out for the year? Now you have to trade a player to a team that is acquiring a guy they can't send down and is coming off an injury.
    Last edited by redsof72; 08-05-2010 at 06:22 PM.

Alonso doesn't have to stick with a major league team until 2013, actually. He qualifies for four option years, and he didn't use an option year in the year he was drafted.

It might piss Alonso off, but I'm fine with keeping him in AAA next year if he can't fetch something big this off season. What if Votto goes down with a serious injury?
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

Being on the 40 man roster, I believe Alonso would have to clear waivers to be traded. I guarantee Alonso would not clear waivers.

I had forgotten about that fourth option year rule. That is the same rule that applied to Bill Bray I believe. Refresh my memory on the parameters of that rule, if you would.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I had forgotten about that fourth option year rule. That is the same rule that applied to Bill Bray I believe. Refresh my memory on the parameters of that rule, if you would.
    If a player has less than 5 years of time as a pro, they get a 4th option year.

Thanks.

-The Insider-

Alonso's "first" option was used last year. So his 4th option won't be in effect until 2012, not 2011. Despite never being in a major league game, Alonso has 18 days of big league service time.

Turn Off Ads?