Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bats' pitcher Chapman could be a relief for the Reds

Re: Bats' pitcher Chapman could be a relief for the Reds

I hope it works out as well as Price did. Chapman is obviously every bit as polished as he was as a 22-year-old, so we can hope.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanInBama View Post
    I hope it works out as well as Price did. Chapman is obviously every bit as polished as he was as a 22-year-old, so we can hope.
    No he isn't. David Price knew where he was throwing his offspeed pitches and his fastball, while he couldn't command it, he was able to throw it for strikes more often than not. Chapman doesn't know where his pitches are going. They are just REALLY good.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    No he isn't. David Price knew where he was throwing his offspeed pitches and his fastball, while he couldn't command it, he was able to throw it for strikes more often than not. Chapman doesn't know where his pitches are going. They are just REALLY good.
    I know. I'm just saying what most of the board wants to hear. I'm against the Chapman to bullpen move at this point as much as anyone on this board, I promise you.

I should have added a /sarcasm to the end of my post.

Ban Badler on Chapman:

Ben Badler: He's never going to have precise command but with his stuff he's not going to need it. I think he figures it out, but I don't think sending him to the bullpen so he can air it out for four or five batters a game in Triple-A does much to teach him command. That's the last thing I'd want him doing right now.
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...0/2610375.html

I think he's got a good point. At first, I didn't mind the decision to temporarily move him to the bullpen but now I'd rather they put him back in the rotation and let him work on his command.

There's no doubt that Chapman needs to work on his command, and giving him innings is the best way of doing that. But what good are the innings if they result in an injury that takes him away from baseball for 9-15 months? Chapman has had a whirlwind year, and he needs to build up arm strength for his future. It's easy to forget, but he's only 22 years old, and most of his peers are still in A-ball. Let him finish the year in the bullpen, and wait until 2012 or 2013 for him to get anywhere near 200 innings in a season.

I posted this in another thread but it probably fits better in here:

From the Louisville Courier-Journal:

Aroldis Chapman (6-6) got the victory -- his first in relief -- striking out all four batters he faced. The left-hander threw 14 pitches, 12 for strikes, and hit 102mph.

"His role has changed," Sweet said of the hot prospect. "The handcuffs have been taken off my hands. Before I was restricted on what I could and could not do with him. ... I will use him now in any situation I dictate that will make us a better baseball team. He's happy with that."
    http://www.courier-journal.com/artic...gh+Valley++7-3

From John Erardi:

SPEAKING OF THE PEN: Cuban fireballer Aroldis Chapman is close to being ready to be called to the big leagues, said Reds general manager Walt Jocketty.

The Reds have received “very good” reports on him, he said.

“The reports are he’s adapting and feeling more comfortable down there (coming out of the bullpen),” Jocketty said.

It’s just a matter of some refinement for Chapman now – getting 100 percent command and consistency.

The biggest thing for Chapman coming into these pennant-race games is being able to throw strikes.

“His stuff is so good, if he can throw strikes (he’ll get hitters out),” Jocketty said.

“We’ll see how he is in the next couple of weeks.”
    http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...the-difference

id give it another week. 2 at the max. The way hes pitching now he could really help us out. Brays been ok but I think Chapman would be an upgrade. Bray really tested my nerves today walking both lefthanded batters he faced.

What's the rule regarding players who can be put on a playoff roster? It's been so long, I can't remember.

Do they have to be on the roster before Sep. 1st at some point, or is there no requirement at all?

It seems like there's something.

If walks test your nerves, make sure to have some Valium on hand whenever Chapman is called from the Reds' bullpen.

When it comes to Chapman, having him on the Major League roster isn't about him being an "upgrade", as he's not an upgrade to anyone right now. But, he'd be "different", and that's what you're looking for with the bullpen. To have a player that's "different" in the way of Chapman is an option that Dusty could use. I think that's why Owings was used so infrequently by Baker. I think Baker believed that Owings offered nothing "different" than anyone else in the bullpen. Different situations call for a different type of Reliever. Chapman is something this team doesn't have.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanInBama View Post
    If walks test your nerves, make sure to have some Valium on hand whenever Chapman is called from the Reds' bullpen.
    If Volquez, Chapman and Cordero all got in the same game, a record for opposing Walks could be broken.

I think you might be right.

I was staunchly opposed to him moving to the bullpen, but I am looking forward to seeing him pitch. I hope it helps us down the stretch.

I do think we've set him back at least a half season, if not more, in terms of being ready to start.

He's been throwing a ton of strikes lately. He's been dominating. He'll be up soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    When it comes to Chapman, having him on the Major League roster isn't about him being an "upgrade", as he's not an upgrade to anyone right now. But, he'd be "different", and that's what you're looking for with the bullpen. To have a player that's "different" in the way of Chapman is an option that Dusty could use. I think that's why Owings was used so infrequently by Baker. I think Baker believed that Owings offered nothing "different" than anyone else in the bullpen. Different situations call for a different type of Reliever. Chapman is something this team doesn't have.
    He'd be an upgrade from Bray.

Turn Off Ads?